1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

those who voted Obama...they are taking businesses!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by rbell, May 20, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You do not understand that making it easier a dn actually reasonable to do business in the States is patriotic. Lower taxes,letting Americans keep and handle their own money that is true freedom and what this country was founded on. Not the tyranny of collective wealth redistribution which is marxism, very unpatriotic.

2. targus

targus New Member

I would agree that the Democat politicians would rather pay welfare with our money to guarantee votes from the dependent.

Did he provide fair value to his employer in return for his wages? It sounds as though he did as long as it was subsidized but not when standing alone.

I feel sympathy for his situation - but I do not agree with your conclusion that no one will hire a blind person.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is because it is profitable for them with much less accountability. If the tariffs were like they once were then I do not think we would see so much of that. Ask yourself about how many foreign businesses are in America and how many American businesses are in those other countries.

That is not what current students from those countries tell me. They tell me that a person in their countries are essentially throwaways and out of work if they get hurt just like it was in the U.S. not too many years ago.

Do you like being taken advantage of because you have money and someone else does not have as much. That would be like paying than someone else for a car just simply because you have more money.

You did suggest that by encouraging the right of businesses to go to other countries and make money off of us by selling their products to rich Americans.

The average consumer in the U.S. would rather buy two pieces of poor qquality merchandise that will never last as long as one good quality product than buy one good quality product that will last longer than two. It was not always that way. People were more interested in value and quality rather than numbers and quantity.

Just look at the church consumerism model today. So many churches today model themselves after an appeal to greed and image rather than the hard personal work of discipleship. When was the last time you can remember that a book was published about how to grow a church doing the hard work of discipleship as Jesus did, rather than the program methods so prevalent today? How many pastors know about the latest method of church growth compared to how many have studied Jesus and His method of discipleship.

I believe that American consumerism and the Republican party have carried itself into the church today. Imagine what churches would have to work with if none of the people owed on credit cards. Imagine what would happen if the people spent the same amount of time discussing Christ with their neighbors rather than the politicians.

Think about how Hilter was able to accomplish what he did? He won the Christians. The once he got their support he did what he wanted. I believe America has become very complacent and greedy at the same time. Recently the young people coming to college today have been labelled as the snowflake generation. They have had everything done for them and people have required little from them.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sad but true fact- many (but not all) handicapped people will be employed only as long as their job generates "tax credits" or other governmental benefits for their employers- regardless of the quality of their work. I know that for a personal fact.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My former roommate is a Republican.

It is easier for an employer to work with someone who is not blind. Today there are many more people who could do the job he was trained to do.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I didn't

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you not write, "It wouldn't matter anyway American businesses are going where is is least expensive to do business."

That is much like saying because kids are going to have sex anyway so let's help them be safe and give them condoms.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You ask which America do we want. Actually, neither that you described, just like I want neither of the present major parties making decisions that affect my life or money.

The first group you describe reminds me of Mississippi in the 50s and 60s growing up. No, I do not want someone to lose everything because they got hurt, or not have their kids go to school. I really do not have a problem with taxes paying for schools or infrastructure, or helping people in need. That is actually suppose to be done through local churches. I think under promoting the general welfare in the Constitution laws should be passed to protect the family of the guy who had his legs destroyed on the job. Things that elevate the American society is what we should be spending money on.

This is what I have a problem with, is two parties that exist for the purpose of accumulating power and money. The last thing on their agenda is serving its citizens. I have a real problems with CEOs, lobbyists, and Wall Street thugs ripping off the American people through excessive greed and manipulating the government. Also, I have a problem with redistributing wealth from tax dollars to support those who can work and will not.

As far as your last paragraph goes, that is exactly how the economy should work. Your skill at building has become a valuable service on the market, probably the cream of the crop where you are. You are the one that made life easier for you and your family. You pursued happiness, not the government for you. I think that is quite an accomplishment to have that kind of demand for a service.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do, too. Fortunately, only a small amount of overall government spending goes to such people.

10. targus

targus New Member

So you have a problem with redistributing wealth from tax dollars to support those who can work and will not. But voted for the guy who promised to do just that. Remember his promise to spread the wealth around?

Kind of reminds me about your similar problem with abortion.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...so, giving Obama a perfect score everywhere else (a huge jump)...
    • His taking over private businessses;
    • His firing of a private comany's CEO;
    • His giving 55% ownership of a company to an entity that likely wrecked the company in the first place;
    • His stunning ignorance of how bankruptcy works--that secured creditors (bondholders) get their money first, at agreed prices, before unsecured (UAW)...
    That only knocks him down 15 points?

Boy...you must not think much of freedom, eh Ken?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless one is an anarchist, everyone is willing to give up a certain amount of freedom in order to have a civilized society.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As usual you miss the point. The fed does not have the constitutional right to do what it si doing. The constitution is currently being ignored. What happens at the state level is another thing.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It would be great if we could buy American made product only, but thanks to the greed of corporate America, this is becoming impossible. I buy as much American products as I can. If there were a level playing field there would be many more produces made in America.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree and that is the problem I think most Americans have today.

I agree. However I cannot think of any church which has done such a thing to the extent as you suggest. The Mormons claim to have farms etc. for that purpose. However the Christians are so busy fighting and suing each other such as the SBC in MO that they cannot seem to get anything going.

I agree. Think about the protestant denominations and conventions and see what is going on there. Are they doing any better? As Christians we have no right to complain because we are no better and have provided no solution other than talk.

Let me assure you I did not start out that way. I had little interest in construction earlier in my life. The interesting thing is that the man who got me started in business was also my employer and ataught a Sunday School class that had 40 people in it who were considering being missionaries. He sought to give his life away. When he died there were about 640 at his funeral. We figured that maybe 1/4 of them could come because the others were on the mission field or somewhere else. When he died his wife did not have enough money to pay for his funeral. A men whom he had just finished building a home for paid for the funeral. I know for a fact that he gave away at least 50% of his money to missions alone. For three hours the service went on with person after person standing and giving testimony about how God had used him in their life. I knew him for 21 years and I never once ever heard him complain about the world or about Christians. He sought to reach people and disciple them. He once told me that several times he was asked to be an elder in the church and turned them down because he was so busy with making disciples. He waas focused on the job of making disciples. He was a man who taught me how to live the Christian life both in the business world and at home. I lived in his home for one year before I got married. He shunned denominational politics and sought to proclaim Christ and make disciples. When I called a friend of mine to tell him about the time the man died my friend said, "What will ____ _____ _____ be without _____. There were city officials and business men at the funeral service. During the funeral the local lumber yard shut down and the employees attended the funeral. This was in a town of about 40,000 people. Imagine men like that in churches today!

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of the destruction has been done by the manufacturers themselves with planned obsolescence to rape the American public while foreign companies which were once not as good have tried to make a better product.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you give one or two examples?

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

What a great testimony of God's grace!! I also had the privilege of knowing such a man, and one woman of that type. They are rare jewels in God's kingdom.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A nice bonus is that today I am teaching at a university the same thing I did for many years. I graduated from college in something different than my experience was in. What I majored in is almost gone but what I did for a living is now flourishing. I know that God extended His grace to me ahead of time by many years and he used that man to accomplish that.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Bush is the one who took over private companies. We bought Fannie, Freddie, banks and the auto industry on the Bush watch. Obama is simply taking care of our investment.

1. What in the constitution says he CAN'T do this?
    2. Many more American's and people in other lands would have lost their jobs had he of not made this decision. So the inverse of your question is "are we mad that he kept the auto industry from being liquidated"?

My answer, NO, I am not one bit mad. There was no way the tax payers could recuperate $1 Bush gave the auto industry if it was liquidated in bankruptcy, because of Obama actions many jobs were saved and we have a chance of getting some of our tax dollars back.

Not sure what this means but the word "likely" implies speculation and opinion so I don't think it matters as fact.

I think this shows a bit of your ignorance. Bondholders are getting mostly stock just like UAW. No one gave UAW money before anyone else. That is all rhetoric.

I can't speak for Ken but I haven't lost one ounce of my freedoms... Which of you freedoms did you loose?