1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts about 2012

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jan 24, 2009.

?
  1. Yes they should

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No, should be up to State or Commonwealth party

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]
    Why did the republican party put up a moderate, when conservative republicans have won outright in three previous attempts they were three for three, .

Part of the reason is because too many States or Commonwealths have open primaries, which allowed Dem's to vote in the Rep primary

Also, I don't like the winner take all in several States or commonwealth.
    for example, you had a state or commonwealth that had - say 150 delegates at stake with the following results:

% Candidate
    32 John McCain
    21 Fred Thompson
    15 Tommy Thompson
    11 Tom Tancredo
    10 Rudy Giuliani
    05 Mike Huckabee
    03 Ron Paul
    02 Sam Brownback
    01 George Pataki
    00 Jim Gilmore

100 total

Even though 50% of the vote was shared by 4 conservatives, the individual who carried less than 1/3 of the popular vote receives all the delegates.
    Not good in my book. I prefer proportional representation.

I think the Republican party should have a nationwide standard for the 2012 primaries.

Thoughts?

2. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think its amazing that Alan Keyes & Duncan Hunter didn't even make that list. While Alan Keyes would be my top pick, Duncan Hunter wasn't so bad, but Tancedo would be my #2 pick over Hunter. I liked Huckabee too.

The truth is all of the "real conservatives" are being silenced by the media & even by other Republicans. Alan Keyes wasn't ever invited to any of the debates on national television. Tom Tancredo was only asked a few questions & was silenced once his time was up. However, when McCain, Giuliani, Romney, or Thompson exceeded thier time, the moderater would quietly say, "Thank You.....thank you......thank you". they wouldn't ever cut them off.

What I thought was strange was Alan Keyes ran for the Republican nomination in 2000 & stayed in the race until the very end of the primaries. However, he wasn't even allowed to speak at the Republican Convention. The Republican Party has lost sight of what is really important. Maybe they need to lose the next few elections until they get things back on track.

#2 BigBossman, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Republican party needs a conservative resurgence.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I goggled "Rep candidates for President" and the above list is what I came up with. The % I listed are strictly fabricated. I was simply trying to show that a person with less than a majority can win 100% of the State or Commonwealth delegates.
    I wasn't trying to leave anyone off.

You are right Keyes and Hunter are two good candidates.

Also, as I mentioned before, I did not like the fact that Democrats help nominate McCain.

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    your list left off Romney....He was right behind McCain.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Presidential Election for 2012 will begin in less than a year.

Any new thoughts on the ideal listed above?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My first thought is the only conservative to run in decades was Ronald Reagan. Bush the first and second were liberals at best. My next thought is the Republicans have had their chance for a conservative resurgence, and deserve to be left in the dust of history.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Had candidates like that been serious contenders within the Republican Party, they might be a serious entity today. The Republicans are in a pathetic state, and deserve to be eliminated from the scene as do the Democrats. They had their chance, and blew it.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But your statement is not about the OP - should a non-republician be allowed - by State law - to vote in the Republician primiary.

Salty

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sorry, I based the post off your second post. In the context of a Republican primary, for the point of this thread forgetting Republicans deserve oblivion, I agree with your thoughts about a closed primary. It was more effect several years ago when most Republicans were conservative, and did not tolerate candidates or officials that ran as conservatives and governed as liberals. For the past two decades, with the liberalization of the Republican Party, liberals are voting in primaries anyhow.

I also agree with you on proportional delegates to the popular vote. At the convention, that would force second and third ballots, which would force conservatives to band together to win.

When I first started voting, the Republican Party actually was a source of pride. It has gone from conservative standards to a liberal laughing stock.

I have lost all use or faith in the Republican Party, but for those who want to try and salvage the unsalvageable, then an effective tool would be closed primaries and proportional representation in delegates.

11. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

In keeping with empowering the states, the state Republican party officials should be working on keeping non-Republican mischief-makers out of their primaries.

Here's Kos urging his readers to do just that in 2008:

"Next Tuesday, January 15th, Michigan will hold its primary. Michigan Democrats should vote for Mitt Romney, because if Mitt wins, Democrats win....

"And we want Romney in, because the more Republican candidates we have fighting it out, trashing each other with negative ads and spending tons of money, the better it is for us. We want Mitt to stay in the race, and to do that, we need him to win in Michigan....

"Michigan Democrats helped deliver their state to McCain in 2000 to spite their hated governor, John Engler, who had guaranteed his state to Bush."

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thus States or Commonwealths should not require parties to have open primaries.

Now, if a national party or state or commonwealth party decides to have an open primary, that is their business. But the State or commonwealth should stay out of it.

Salty