1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thoughts on Organ Donation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by FBCPastorsWife, Sep 30, 2004.

1. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Gib, that's too bad. I wish she would think about all the people she could help through organ donation. Maybe you should share the statistics of how many people die each day because of people who won't donate their organs. [​IMG]

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Been dere, done dat.

3. FBCPastorsWife

Maybe one day she'll decide to think about it. I guess it will just take time.

4. Dina

Dina New Member

At that time, yes other family members would then decide. But only after a 2nd or even 3rd opinion coming from independent physicians.

5. FBCPastorsWife

A second thought struck me as I have read through the posts again. I have only heard one response that mentioned living donation.

Does anyone ever think about donating a kidney to someone that might need it? Just to know that you have alleviated the pains of dialysis. When my kidneys first failed (age 23...I'm now 25) I had dialysis every other day for 4 hours the first month. After my peritoneal access healed, I was able to do home dialysis 10 hours overnight and two manual exchanges during the day.

Can you imagine what my honeymoon was like? Crazy is the only word that comes to my mind.

Just imagine being able to lift that burden off of someone. If I would have had healthy kidneys, I sure would have done it for someone else. I grew up with the knowledge of what happens through kidney failure. My dad and two uncles all had kidney failure due to inherited kidney diseases, which I too inherited.

Has anyone on here ever thought about doing this? :confused:

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Abiyah, one of our members, has a rare and incurable liver disease that affects mainly women. She was given less than 10 years to live about 2 years ago. She's on the list for an organ donation but she's said if she waits much longer, she'll refuse the liver when offered so a younger person can live a full life.

Diane

7. FBCPastorsWife

It breaks my heart to know that people have to think about turning down a much needed organ just so somebody else can have it. [​IMG]

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Abiyah's mother died of this disease and her own daughter's stand to face this in the future. I've forgotten the name of the disease but it's diagnosed in a woman's 40's and by then a lot of damage has already occurred. Life expectancy is generally 10 years after the symptoms occur.

There are SO many needs.... so many! I know a mother whose adoptive daughter has CF and she needs a lung transplant at age 10!

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis

10. ralb

ralb New Member

Where is Abiyah? Just realized I had not "seen" her in awhile...

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

She took a break. I've not heard from her in a few months but had gotten a very lovely note from her then.

We should check on her!
    Diane

12. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I am an organ donor. I am also donating my body to The Body Farm when I die. You should have seen the look on the lawyer's face when we were getting our wills made! LOL

13. FBCPastorsWife

Is it the famous "Body Farm" in Knoxville? Very interesting place!!!

14. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

YES, the one in Knoxville. Have you been there or do you know someone there? I think they do fascinating work there and that it is important work also. I have the book that he wrote but have not had the time to listen to it. Most people think I am joking when I say that. But just think of all the money I am saving by NOT having a funeral. In life, I hate to be the center of attention. I certainly don't want to be one in death. Just quietly prop me out in the elements. LOL

15. FBCPastorsWife

We learned all about the Body Farm during one of my Anthropology classes. The professor had done studies there and I have a friend from high school that lives up in Knoxville and was telling me about it. I would love to visit there one day.

16. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

If I leave this world to be with Jesus, I'll see ya there! I'll be propped up under the Dogwood tree. LOL You must be doing some interesting studies. What is your major?

17. FBCPastorsWife

Well, because of my health I am not able to attend right now, but I was completing classes to go into dental forensics.

18. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

FBC, I just finished my BA in Criminal Justice Administration. If I were younger I would have loved to go into your field. I pray that you will soon be back to your studies!!!!

19. FBCPastorsWife

Thank you so much and congratulations on the completion of your BA! That is reason to celebrate [​IMG]

20. billwald

billwald New Member

Recent case (in North Dakota?) about a guy being parted out before he was dead, or so said the M.E.