1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Three-peat

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by guitarpreacher, Jan 5, 2006.

1. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Okay, for those of you who insisted (incorrectly) that USC was the 2 time defending national champions - Matt Lienart said after the game that he still though they were the better team, but Texas made the plays in the end. I'm sure a lot of people will agree with him. In fact, I've already heard one commentator say that Texas' championship is tainted because he was sure that Young's knee was down when he lateralled to the RB that scored. If enough AP voters vote USC #1 in the final poll, will you recognize them as the three time national champions?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AP voters will not vote USC #1, so that's irrelevant.

And, no, even if they did, I would not recognize them as 3-time champs.

3. guitarpreacher

I don't think they will either, but they are the media darlings and stranger things have happened.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They USED TO BE the media darlings. I think Vince Young just deflated that balloon.

Texas on top in the end
    By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer
    January 5, 2006
    http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ag2NvIFP1wQbX1WuB0aXBe05nYcB?slug=ap-t25-collegefbpoll&prov=ap&type=lgns
    PASADENA, Calif. (AP) -- All season long, the No. 1 ranking belonged to Southern California -- before Texas swiped it away at the end.

The Longhorns finished first, a unanimous choice, in The Associated Press Top 25 for the first time since 1969 after beating the Trojans 41-38 in the Rose Bowl on Wednesday night.

5. guitarpreacher

cool. didn't realize they had already voted.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They didn't, but if they did then they would have had a share of the national championship.

These controversies will continue unless and until the NCAA goes to a playoff in Division I-A just as they have in the other divisions.

And considering how much money the NCAA would get for say, an eight team playoff utilizing the top seven bowl games, I really don't understand why they keep resisting the idea.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    USC's claim to a 3-peat would have been tainted anyway. LSU was the BCS champion the first year. Not USC.

USC didn't deserve to be #1 in the AP poll that year- they didn't play the same caliber of team in their bowl- but any team with that kind of media appeal in that kind of media market will always have an advantage over a team from Baton Rouge.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The BCS is one version of the national championship. The AP poll is another version. That's just the way it is until and unless a playoff system is implemented, or else unless the AP poll agrees to vote the BCS winner as the national champion as the coaches' poll has done. Only with a playoff system will there anything other than a mythical national championship.

Personally, anything that causes problems for the BCS is great by my standards as I think the current system stinks.

Going back through history, it is not unusual to have split, or tainted, mythical national championships.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As bad as the BCS is... the AP is worse. It depends on writers centered in urban areas to be objective when considering a school like USC against an Auburn or LSU. It depends on there being accurate conference biases among the voters... which is all but impossible.

I agree. The fact that there is not a playoff is ridiculous. The only valid but usually unspoken reason for it is the bowl money.

Personally, I don't think the national title game would have included either of these teams if there had been an 8 team playoff system in place. Neither played a particularly difficult schedule... though Texas' schedule was proven by the bowl season to be much stronger. Notably, the BCS computer rankings recognized this even before the game.

OTOH, the NCAA b-ball tourney seldom ends up with the best two teams in the finals. For instance, NCSU was not the best team when they won against Houston. They probably weren't even top 10... but lightening does strike.

10. guitarpreacher

I've got the solution: Put together 8 super conferences with 12 teams in each conference. Probably, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East, Conf USA, and Mountain West. Some would have to add schools to make 12. Play an 11 game season beginning the first week of Sep and ending the last week of Nov, 13 weeks to play 11 games. Conf championship games are played the first week of december.

Now you have a playoff consisting of 16 teams. The eight conference champs get automatic bids and there will be 8 at large bids. No Conf gets more than 2 teams in the playoffs. First round is the 3rd week of Dec and is a home game for the conf. champs. That reduces the field to 8 teams, at which time they are seeded 1 thru 8. Round 2 is the 4th week of Dec and is a home game for seeds 1 - 4. Round three is a BCS bowl game played at the host site, and the championship game is the 2nd week in January.

This still leaves lots of good teams with winning records to be rewarded with bowls. For example, SEC this year would have sent LSU & Ga to the playoffs, leaving Bama, Auburn and FL for existing bowl games.

Now what's wrong with that??? And just think of the money that would be made off of the playoff games.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's wrong with that is that Bama, Auburn, and UF were all better teams than the second place teams from the Pac10, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, ... and better than the first place teams from Conf USA and Mountain West.

Plus, you forgot the MAC.

A plus one or plus two system makes the most sense to me. Let the bowls play out on January 1st then take two more Saturdays to decide a champion. You'd need to keep some elements of the BCS to ensure that bowl match ups put together teams from the top 8 to result in 4 teams.

12. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...excuse me, but Auburn got thoroughly trounced by the 5th place team from the Big 10. I hardly think they are better than Ohio State, the 2nd place team. Sometimes you SEC guys are so unrealistic.

13. guitarpreacher

Well, at least with my plan we'd be arguing over who numbers 9-16 should have been, instead of 1,2,3, and 4

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Any playoff is better than none at all.

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Keep in mind too that when USC won the AP "Championship" for 2003, most of those guys decided to place their votes after the Rose Bowl was played...and before the Sugar Bowl, which was the BCS Championship game.

Yes, i'm a born and bred LSU fan, so i don't recognize USC's claim to 2 straight national championships for that reason; but also for the fact they the BCS is the system. It is flawed, but it is way better than having BYU as a national championship after winning the Holiday Bowl.

my 2 cents

16. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Texas was the better team in that game. It comes down to making the plays when they count.

From the replays I saw, it looks like Young's knee was down when he made the lateral.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...excuse me, but Auburn got thoroughly trounced by the 5th place team from the Big 10. I hardly think they are better than Ohio State, the 2nd place team. Sometimes you SEC guys are so unrealistic. </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry. I forgot that OSU was not the first place team... You're right. Both PSU and OSU were better than Auburn... though they didn't get trounced on the scoreboard. Auburn played terribly and still got within 7 going into the last qtr.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas was the far better team period. The score would have been much worse if their defense had played better.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, please. Having to win by three points and scoring just before time ran out hardly indicates that Texas was "the far better team period". USC would have blown Texas out if their offense had played better.

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Come on now Ken, do not drop to the level of the Piston Fans and make excuses. Texas won. They were the better team. USC's offense played pretty well, look at their numbers.