1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Berean, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

TW began a 72 hole tournament this AM. He certainly hit a good tee shot but lets wait and see where he stands at the end of 4 rounds.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I watched a lot of the reaction during the day and evening. A lot of it was skeptical, and some thought it was just an act to save his career.

I thought he said all the right things. So did my wife, who is a very perceptive woman. We both saw a humbled man standing there.

I pray that God will reveal himself to Tiger Woods.

3. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

I didn't know that he believes in Buddhism.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is the sports section, but might we pray that the Lord will send someone into Tigers life and be able to present the gospel to him :praying:

Salty

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

He said he was taught Buddhism by his mother, and had lived by its precepts until a few years ago, when he strayed away from them.

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, pray for him. I have known other people with this addiction that also
    turned to Buddhism....:tear:

Buddhism is a philosophy that espouses what we call "works" to achieve peace, and there is no God in the philosophy. Buddha
    was not a deity when the religion was founded, but the people NEED a deity, so they have turned him into a deity through time. Sad.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Based on his post-Masters interview yesterday, I can tell that Tiger has not changed one iota - he's still the most narcissistic athlete this world has ever seen. Saying things like he played "awful." He shot -11 at Augusta National - that is not awful. He finished 4th place - that's not awful. Why can't he ever give credit to the guys ahead of him who simply played better? In fact, Tiger doing so well also shows what a cold machine he is - he cares about nothing other than himself and golf. A true human would not be able to come back and play that well so soon after the things he has done. Of course, he won't truly change unless he comes to Christ.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because that is the American mentality.

Look at the World Series. Only the winner receives glorification. Keep in mind that the loosing team won their division and then two playoff series against other excellent teams.

What I would love to hear from a WS winning manger would be " I'd like to think we are a very good team, as we beat an excellent ball club."

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying, but when playing at the masters and his expectations of himself, he did play awfule. There was a birdie putt that ended up with him taking a bogey. For him as well as every other golfer in the world that would be awful.

For you or me, playing at Augusta would be the thrill of a life time. But, thank the Lord, we are not him. He expects perfection of himself and when it doesn't come, he sees it as awful. Personally I think his own high expectations of himself is part of why he did so many hideous, awful things.

Can someone sin terribly and still do their secular job as well as before. I would imagine that it happens every day. Humans have a sinful ability to compartmentalize their lives by living sinfully in one area and it not seemingly affecting other parts.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I disagree. Finishing 4th at -11 is not awful. It may not be acceptable by his standards, but it's his narcissistic nature to paint it as an awful tournament. It wasn't awful, especially considering he hasn't played any golf for several months. It's just his whiny way when he doesn't get his way, just like when he hits a bad shot and drops his club in disgust and curses. He's such a baby.

Consider this: Woods has played in 14 Masters and has only won 4 times - still an incredible %, but it's only 28%. And I think that is comparable to his overall victory % in all tournaments - I think it's around 30-35%, which is certainly the highest ever. But that means he does not win about 70% of the time. So does that mean he plays "awful" 70% of the time? No, it means sometimes he plays good but not quite good enough (someone was better - egads!), or he might play mediocre but not necessarily awful, etc. So his 2010 Masters attempt was very good, even by his standards, considering he only wins it about 30% of the time. But because he is such a profound jerk, he can never give credit to anyone else, especially Mickelson, his current archetype.

11. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Tiger is still young. And plenty of golf in him. As four masters winning out of fourteen. That is quite an accomplishment for him at 33!

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Hope he never wins another major.

I'd rather the Golden Bear stay ahead of him for good.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't know if it is true but the papers down here say he and his wife are going to get divorced.