1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tiki Barber

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Tonight (12-30) he just set the record for best statistical season by a running back in his last year. He is such a classy guy and a great all purpose back. Other than Barry Sanders who just didn't come back (Tiki came out early in the season and said he was retiring), what other athletes in pro sports went out when they were at their peak or close?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

He is a classy guy.

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I hate to say it, but he whipped our Redskins all by himself! I don't know when I have seen such a stellar performance.

There's always next year for DC .. and if Tiki is retiring, we might have a chance!

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sandy Koufax, although He had injuries that would haunt him, and Jim Brown come to mind in my lifetime. Perhaps the best was Bobby Jones, who after achieving what was considered golf's "Grand Slam", at that time, in one year with the four US and British Opens and Amateurs, retired from the game at the age of 28, I believe.

Of course, one cannot forget Michael Jordan and Roger Clemens, who retired seven times collectively, between them thus far, I believe. :tongue3: :laugh:

Uh- oh yeah, and I believe four times for "Rocky"! :rolleyes: :p

Ed

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm going to miss Tiki being in the game...he is a classy player. Truly one of the good guys when they are getting harder to find in pro sports.
    Is Ronde also planning on retiring?

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Among those not mentioned so far... perhaps Roberto Clemente. He was llikely nearing retirement, having just gotten his 3000th hit the season before his plane went down, but his final 4 seasons he batted .345, .352, and .341, and .312.

And maybe Jerome Brown, the Philadelphia Eagles DT, who died young.

And Kirby Puckett, though he may be questionable for this list. He hit .317 and .314 his final 2 years, but his games played, triples, stolen bases and defensive numbers [stats related to speed and quickness] had noticeably diminished.