1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Time for a new Pastor?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Revmitchell, Jan 3, 2009.

1. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

This is what happened to me a little over a year ago. I had a few folks tell me (in a not so nice way) that it was time to go. I did not want to bring my wife and children through any conflict because I was worried how that would affect my children and their walk. All I wanted was to save the church from any heartache. I sought advice from several folks including on here. I left thinking it was best for the church, and for my family and me.

I was wrong to leave. I thought the people behind it all would be happy and let things drop, but that did not happen. I see now it would have been best for the church for those folks to leave. As it stands now a year later the church is still struggling, my family is still has the wounds, and I still can not bring myself to seek another position, I feel like this was my fault and feel not only unworthy to serve, but I am afraid of being hurt like this again, of my family hurting like this again. I have done supply work and last summer worked as a youth and children’s minister during the summer to help a church get these programs off the ground. But it is not the same. I guess I need to come to a place where I realize that I had my shot and blew it.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. It right there in Opinions 8:16 "Deacons shall run the Church."

:tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Tom, Please read again what I posted. It means nothing of the sort. If this congregation was going in the wrong direction apart from the will of God, Yes we would stand for the best interest of this church.
    This statement is in the context of our voluntary service. As long as this congregation needs us to serve we will serve in any capacity it may need us, ie; funerals, weddings, baptisms, visitations, teaching, counseling and etc, etc. If any of us (Pastor or I) should feel that the Holy Spirit has called us to another church then yes I would move according to my calling. :godisgood:

Hopefully that clears it up a bit for you.

Your Brother;

Mel

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I left a very small church under similar circumstances. Went through the same feelings of failure etc. Didn't think I was worthy of the vocation that I was called. Then one day I realized that I am not worthy but the Blood of Christ makes me so. Now i am back into the ministry as an Assistant Pastor and am sure that God is calling me to Pastor a church soon. I have never enjoyed the ministry more and have had several people notice the fact. I would love to be a full time pastor, but as of right now there just aren't any churches that are able to support one. I used to be a computer guy that preached, but now am a pastor that works on Computer systems.

So hang in there, trust God, and let the spirit lead you. He never promised that everything would be a success. But he did promise to never leave you. He will equip you and restore you if you'll let him.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most of the pastors who started pastoring after seminary are no longer pastoring after 10 years. I never thought I would be one of those through no fault of my own. I assumed that people wanted to hear the word preached. What I found out is that light exposes darkness and people do not always like that. Out of that church came those who wanted to walk with God. It gave me time to take a lok at things. At one point an elderly lady who had known me for 26 years suggested that I start working with srudents like a man we knew did. I starwetd to pray for god to give me people to disciple. Within 6 months I was meeting with 20 people each week. Most of them were students. One had been what I would call a Christian cult leader. Some were married couples. I quickly found that I met with more as a working person and had a greater impact than when I had ot deal with everybody as a pastor. When I met with people who wanted ot grow I no longer had to deal with anatagonists and those who made trouble.

Maybe you thought it wrong, but maybe God needed to expose the real troublemakers and antagonists. That happened in the church I left. When I left some of the troublemakers were exposed. Some of the deacons were asked step down. I know the current pastor does not know what happened.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Palatka,
    It does clear things up a little.

Go Gators!

7. PeterM

PeterM Member

In principle Jim, I am right there with you... however sometimes a dead church is dead for a reason.