1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Times of Refreshing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother Bob, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What is the times of refreshing??

Act 3:19Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

What was Peter going to be converted to??

Luk 22:32But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

A Kingdom had already been appointed unto them.

Luk 22:29And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Was it when Peter knew that all nations could receive salvation, for if he had already been appointed a Kingdom, then he already was saved. IMO

Act 10:34¶Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Both Ryrie and MacArthur say that "Times of Refreshing" refer to the Millennial Kingdom.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It seems to me to be talking about the time after you are saved up to and including your deliverance from a body of corruption unto the Glorious liberties of the children of God.

For sure we need a "refreshing" from time to time as we journey through this unfriendly world, but the greatest refreshing we shall recieve is to conquer over the grave with eternal life.

BBob,

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Verse 21 points us also a restoration of all things which would come at end of human history.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

My view is in agreement with TC's. Speaking to Jews, Peter would allude to the OT promise of the coming of Messiah. And there is no doubt that we will receive a kingdom when Christ comes, even if it is via the rapture, for in that case we will receive the KoG.

The gospel of grace (vs. the OT "gospel of the kingdom").

No. He was saved in the OT sense and he would be saved in the NT sense after the cross. Still, unless you believe Catholicism, he hasn't received any "kingdom" yet.

skypair

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So you are saying that Peter was "saved" twice, while those who were saved under the OT that died, didn't need a second saving, then why would Peter need to be saved twice, don't make sense.

BBob,

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

10 day suspensions on the BB? :D

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Been there, done that................:laugh:

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

10. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Does it say "banned" when that happens?

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Now I have to go fix myself a big glass of Coka Cola with lots of ice.

Thanks MP :thumbs:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yep.......

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yes, just like the followers of John the Baptist in Acts 19:1-6 -- just like Apollos in the chapter before.

Consider that salvation in the OT was WITHOUT Spirit indwelling whereas NT salvation was accompanied by indwelling of the Spirit. The difference? Belief on in the name of Christ in addition to belief on God -- or, if you will, belief that Messiah had come vs. belief in that promise.

skypair

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

OT sins were stayed from year to year. There is only one name given under heaven where a man can be saved and that is Jesus Christ. I believe it still took the blood of Christ to cover those in OT also.

BBob,

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. This point is driven home in Hebrews.

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

Absolutely!! But the OT saints souls awaited Christ's resurrection before they could even go to heaven, right? Does that not tell you something of the "incompleteness" in time or the lack of fulness of their salvation?

The dead OT saints have yet to be brought into the new covenant, Bob. So how are they brought into it? By resurrecting them to earthly bodies again.

Remember, you were resurrected upon your belief in Christ (1Cor 15:35-39). God has already raised you. God has already given you a body "as it hath pleased Him" -- it pleased Him to make His dwelling place IN you, right? Same with them when they are resurrected into the MK in "terrestrially glorified" (indwelt) bodies.

But our next "phase" of salvation is to be raptured bodily to heaven. In fact, only indwelt saints IN CHRIST ("those who are His at His coming," 1Cor 15:23) will be raptured. Do you agree?

skypair

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There was a fountain opened when Jesus died on the cross and half flowed to the hinder sea, and have to the former sea.

Where do you think the "white robes" come from that the souls that were under the altar of God recieved?

If what you say is true then God told false when He said I will make a new Covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.
    The Gentiles were added to something and it was the New Covenant that Israel recieve when Christ came to His own. The election were saved then and they were Israel, A portion were blinded for a time so that the Gentiles could be brought in to the New Covenant.

The scripture does not say that God will make a new covenant with the Gentiles, but with Israel.
    If you believe we are under the new covenant, then you will have to accept that the new covenant has already come and God said plainly, He would make it with Israel.

You have no scripture to back up your theory that the new covenant was to the Gentile people.

Also, the souls of the OT did indeed go to heaven, and waited on the promise which Jesus fulfilled and those souls were then covered with the blood of Christ.

Where do you think the souls went of the OT, in the grave.
    If anyone believe they are burying the soul, then they are burying a "live" man.

I don't know how you justify saying; the New covenant is yet to come to Israel, but yet believe we are under the New Covenant, when God said it was to Israel, that He would make the New Covenant.

BBob,

#17 Brother Bob, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  18. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Brother Bob,

I agree with your comments. Peter was preaching the Gospel to the Jews, calling on them to repent and be converted so that their sins might be blotted out and they might receive the refreshing presence of the spirit of Christ who the Lord would send down from on high, whom they had heard preached, and who had ascended into heaven until the time still to come when all things will be restored, whose coming God had foretold by the prophets since the very beginning. Peter then goes on to remind the Jews what Moses had foretold in Deuteronomy 18:18-19: “A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.” And then Peter goes on to follow that dire warning with the words: “Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.”

“These days” means those days in which all those things came to pass, both the blessing of the rest and refreshing of that prophet God would raise up as well as the destruction of those from among the children of Israel who refused to hear him.

This "times of refreshing" Peter spoke of refers to the prophecy of Isaiah 28:9-13 which foretells not only the "rest from works" that men would find in Christ ("Come unto me ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest"), but it also foretold that Jesus would speak to "this people" with “stammering lips and another tongue” meaning he would speak in parabolic language they would not understand, but instead the Word of God would be a system of doctrine built upon doctrine, a little of this and that, which ultimately would cause them to “fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken:”

“Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.Isaiah 28:9-13

And if you continue reading . . .

“Wherefore (because this is true) hear the word of the Lord, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation . . .” Isaiah 28:14-16

All these events, the rest that would be given to the weary, the refreshing that the Lord would send, the prophet being raised like unto Moses, the laying of that precious cornerstone of God’s Holy Temple, and even the destruction of those who would not hear that prophet . . . all spoke of events that did in fact come to pass in those days of the first coming of Christ.

In Christ,
    Deborah

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't normally use commentaries but I so happen to have Scofield open when I read this.

"Namely, seasons in which, through the appearance of the Messiah in His kingdom, there shall occur blessed rest and refreshment for the people of God."
    Scofield's Study Notes

20. standingfirminChrist

Times of Refreshing?

P.O.W.E.R.

Praying Obediently, We'll Experience Refreshing