1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Timothy George comments

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by whatever, Mar 23, 2007.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

From http://www.beesondivinity.com/templates/cusbeeson/details.asp?id=25215&PID=430520&Style=

What do you all think?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Jesus said it. It must be true.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I liked what Timothy George said in the the hyper-link you gave.
    Wise words toward all who claim the name of Christ or preach His Gospel.

#3 Allan, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Allan,

Not so fast to applaud. It appears to me that the only conclusion Timothy George can come to is that every dead infant's soul is in hell.

And unfortunately, right after explaining it, he appears to take the "mushy sentimenalist" approach to truth. But love is both truthful and endearing. Anyone care to "link up" Philadelphia with Sardis? I'd say let's have Islam move out of the 8th century and Sardis move out of the 16th century into the 21st century.

But he does finish on a "high note!"

skypair

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Perhaps the key words here are "appears to me." That alone gives us reason to suspect George's position. Why do you constantly return to this issue of dead infants? Are you desiring more clarity on it than God has chosen to reveal? It seems like this constant drumbeat as a way to disprove Calvinism reveals an underlying disatisfaction with the revelation of God on the topic. The revelation of God is not entirely clear. So why do you insist on this being a point of attack or a dividing line?

So you do agree with the Calvinist gospel then. It is good to hear.

I think his admonition to gentleness and respect would be greatly to the benefit of this forum.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I wasn't applauding anything per say. I stated that which I identified in the quotation box was

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't think Jesus was "giving the world the right" to declare someone to be a Christian or not.

The sense I get from this verse, in context with the next few chapters, is that the world will identify Christians by their love for one another (and so revealing themselves to be true disciples of Christ) and that will lead to their persecution.

peace to you:praying:

8. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I think He gives to each of us the obligation to choose. It appears that the 5-point Calvinist doesn't have to choose -- doesn't have to do anything. The "game" is fixed. His / Her team wins no matter what. They are in a select group. No matter what the other team does, they can't win.

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

I keep "going there" because I believe it is a major weakness of Calvinism. They don't understand sin nature -- they make everyone sinners from the womb -- then the have to find "another way" to explain that dying infants go to heaven. "Another way," Larry, is what Jesus said there WASN'T.

Those who come, Jesus will in no wise cast out. Re: "IF I be lifted up, I will draw ALL men to Myself." Jesus will draw and, if they come, they may be saved. Does that sound like the "Calvinist" gospel or the biblical gospel to you?

I think his gentleness and respect between Christians would be great! I can see where it could be terrible when dealing with Thyatira (since that is exactly what she wants you to do).

skypair

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

[qutoe[I keep "going there" because I believe it is a major weakness of Calvinism. They don't understand sin nature -- they make everyone sinners from the womb -- then the have to find "another way" to explain that dying infants go to heaven. "Another way," Larry, is what Jesus said there WASN'T.[/quote]you are incorrect. The Bible is what says we are sinners from the womb. The "way" that infants go to heaven is the blood of Jesus.

I am not aware of a distinction between the two. What you have described is the Calvinist gospel.

11. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

My, my, my, how we tweak the Gospel........

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

How are they "under the blood," Larry?? According to you, they are sinners in need of a Savior. How do they "get" one?

I believe the Calvinist distinction is that not all are drawn to Christ -- only the "elect" are drawn, right?

skypair

13. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

1)If as from your perspective, God knows that they will choose Him, why aren't they considered saved?
    2)Do you think infants remain infants for all eternity?
    3)I've always wondered about what Psalm 8:2:
    Your thoughts?