1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Timothy Keller book Counterfeit Gods

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 2, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reading the book Counterfeit Gods and boy has chapter 3 on Greed been a eye opener! Greed is a MAJOR problem in our society. Pride, lust, addictions, sex, immorality, pale compared to greed for many. Jesus addressed greed more than the other sins mentioned. Lately the word iPhone 4S has been all on my mind. I have had a BB Curve 3G for almost a year and have been anxiously awaiting March. I have to wonder if I should go to the iPhone 4S, or if I should just get the newest BB Curve, or the new BB Bold 9900 which looks very impressive. Well anyways besides the point these phones have become gods and addictions for many people, myself included.

There was a single mother in our small group at church whom asked prayer for a better paying job to "support her children." One thing she did was post everything she ever did everyday on FB, and boy oh boy did I see a great misuse of her money! She often spent on luxuries and called them necessities! No wonder she could not live with her old job! Its too bad that God has given her to her own lusts and allowed her to get a better paying job, because know she probably will spend like crazy! I confronted her once in love on an issue, and she unfriended me on FB so I have no idea. But it goes to show how greedy we have become. Get the book its great!

John