1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Timothy Keller: Only Elderly Pastors should Write Books?!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Havensdad, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can sit and learn facts all day long. Unless you are living it and have experienced it you do not know it and no matter what facts one gets there will always be something missing without true life experience.

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Disagree. My 10 year old can describe the Doctrine of the Hypostatic Union. When she describes it, it is just as true and useful as when I describe it.

The value is in the WORD, it is not in ME.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me!! :( 55 is the new 35. 55 my might be “elderly” for YOU but I’d love to take you through one of MY workouts sometime…BOY! :laugh:

Yeah, you'd be lucky to be still standing alright...

"Elderly"!!! :rolleyes:

;)

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

LOL. No disrespect intended. My dad is 78 and he can outwork most young men.

However, although the U.S. does not have an official definition of "elderly, the U.K. describes elderly as "over 50" and the U.N. describes it as "60 and over," so fifty five is not too much of a stretch...

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was about to disagree with this statement…but you are correct. Anyone can write a book.

Some difficulties, however, include writing at an acceptable level, being applicable and not redundant (actually having something to add), being articulate, and possessing the attributes/experience that legitimize the author as an authority.

For example, I appreciate books by pastors like John MacArthur and own several of his books. I wouldn’t consider him an expert theologian, however, as this is not his field of education or experience (e.g., his works typically present a pastor's perspective and a defense of his interpretations, not really an exploration of the topics). One of my favorite authors is David Wells, but I wouldn’t choose one of his books on pastoral counseling (actually, I don’t believe he wrote one on the topic as this is not his field of expertise). But Wells is much more equipped to offer an assessment of postmodernity than is MacArthur. Anyone can string ideas together and put them in print (I don't think they'd find a publisher, however). But anyone can write a book, although not everyone should.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. There are people who become wise and God does give wisdom through experience.

There are people who, regardless of experience, never become wise.

Wisdom is not guaranteed.

But show me a pastor who has not changed in his thinking or in his understanding as he matures and I will show you a person who who has no wisdom nor depth of understanding nor depth in his thinking.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How 'bout Benny Hinn....no....wait...nevermind. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That is an absurd statement. Constancy in doctrine is a virtue. A man who understands the scripture at 20, and stalwartly stands by that biblical doctrine, is the very definition of Wisdom.

Eph_4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine,

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several things:

Constancy in doctrine is good if the person holds to the correct doctrine. I doubt that even you hold to all the same doctrines you did as a child, as a teenager, as a young person ... I don't know how old you are.

And, even if the doctrine is consistent I would hope the person has a deeper, better understanding of that doctrine. Also, a person can preach sound doctrine but live a very un-Christlike life in the way he treats others. Many, if not all of us, can preach a better sermon than they can life.

A man who does not understand scripture better and deeper at 60 than he did at 20 is to be pitied.

Your scripture proves my point. I really appreciate your doing that.

#49 Crabtownboy, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013