1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tips for gardening in Central Indiana 2005

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by mr. messy, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

I'm retired and may take over a family "garden." Should this be posted in a different area? My wife and daughter have done it previously but now I will or "should" have time to plan, seed, water, weed, harvest, canning of the produce. I have a lot to learn. Any suggestions or any suggested web sites? I plan to request a free catalog from "Burpee" seeds. Thank you, Mr. Messy.

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Hi,

I love gardening, but I live in the U.K. Could you please tell us how large your garden is? Also is this something you are looking forward to doing and what kind of plants are existing and what you think you might like to change. That may help us make some constructive suggestions for you.

God Bless

Sheila [​IMG]

3. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

I am sorry for the long delay. My wife has taken over the planning and has started planting seeds or bulbs.

Our frost free date is about May 10 to 15.

How large is our garden? It is about 50 feet, by my shoe size, by 25 feet. The garden is on the property of my son-in-law and daughter's. It is about a five minute walk from our home to my daughter's home.

My wife has a garden plan. She has the garden tilled with peat moss and fertiziler added into the soil. She has the rows going the short distance of about 25 feet. She plans for 3 rows of 20 tomatoes, (5 rows) green beans, (1 row)cucumbers, (2 rows) lettuce and spinach, radish with peas (in the same row), (1 row) zucchini, 1 row of onions, 1 row of onions with butternut squash, 4 rows of corn, 1 row of 6 pepper plants and sunflowers.

My wife "squeezes plants together", spacing the seeds or plants closer together than the recommended distance.

We have planted onions recently for example.
    Tomatoe plants may be planted closer to the frost free date of around May 10 or so.

Sometimes in August or September we may plant lettuce or green beans for a short second crop.
    Our growing season may end or about October 10
    or so with our first freeze.

Gardening is good exercise for the human body.

My wife likes to work without music or radio playing in the background while we work in the daughter's backyard.

Thanks for reading.