1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Titheing (sp?)

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Kathy, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I heard a radio sermon by John MacArthur about a year and a half ago where he basically taught something to the effect that the 10% rule does not apply to us today because of grace. He went on to say that we are to give according to our hearts, not out of obligation because God doesn't want our money, He just wants us to trust Him with our money, the amount is not significant. I'm sorry, I wish I could be more specific, but being that many of you put John MacArthur in your "top ten" list, some of you may already know of the sermon I am referring to. Perhaps, if one was interested (which I am, so I plan to do this), could go to his website, I believe it is Grace To You
    you can probably request a copy of the tape for a minimal cost.
    Anyway, has anyone else heard this?

Kathy :confused:
    <><

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Kathy,

I have not heard the sermon, but I can quote (cut and paste) from my John MacArthur Study Bible. The scripture that his note applies to is: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come. (1 Cor 16:2 NASB)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the note: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>16:2 first day of the week. This evidences that the early church met on Sunday (Acts 20:7). The point is that giving must occur regularly, not just when one feels generous, particularly led to do so, or instructed to do so for some special purpose (cf. Luke 6:38; cf. 2 Cor. 9:6, 7). as he may prosper. No required amount or percentage for giving to the Lord’s work is specified in the NT. All giving to the Lord is to be free will giving and completely discretionary (see Luke 6:38; 2 Cor. 9:6–8). This is not to be confused with the OT required giving of 3 tithes (see Lev. 27:30; Num. 18:21–26; Deut. 14:28, 29; Mal. 3:8–10) which totaled about 23 percent annually to fund the national government of Israel, take care of public festivals, and provide welfare. Modern parallels to the OT tithe are found in the taxation system of countries (Rom. 13:6). OT giving to God was not regulated as to amount (see Ex. 25:1, 2; 35:21; 36:6; Prov. 3:9, 10; 11:24).
    John F. MacArthur, Jr., The MacArthur Study Bible, (Dallas: Word Publishing) 1997. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with John. I don't think we are to use this as an excuse to give only out of our excess! Case in point: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living. (Mark 12:42-44 KJV)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This says to me that we should give significantly! We should give to the point it costs us something. Your regular giving should cause you to give up some things you'd like to have. That's why it's called "sacrificial giving!" :D

3. Kathy

Kathy New Member

WoW! Thanks Wellsjs! I want that bible...GIMME IT! LoL

Kathy :D
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

4. bjonson

bjonson New Member

5. Chet

Chet New Member

I have written a very large paper on the subject of tithing. It would be too much to post here on this site, so if anyone would be interested in my studies please e-mail me and it would be a joy to send it to you.

You will probably need MS Works to open it, but MS Word may work I don't know.

With love,

Chet

[email protected]

6. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter