1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tithing and the Love of Money

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Israelites tithed their field produce and their stock animals. Are you saying it did not mean they would have an abundance of agricultural produce?

What is your idea of "blessing?'-- a good feeeeling or something?

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe if you look all throughout the OT concerning tithing it is all about material stuff. The point of the tithe is for the people to understand and keep in remembrance that all the material wealth belongs to God and it is God who gives and takes.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some yes, for others perhaps not. However life was simplier then. We live in a complex economical world.

Good advice in Proverbs says:

I especially like the way the Douay-Rheims 1899 American edition puts it:

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, you noticed that. I must say, not much gets by you! But if tithing is something done in a "simpler" world, where do you get the idea it is for here and now, especially since NT scripture does not teach tithing outside of the agrarian temple simple?

But getting back to original subject, why do churches love money such that they want your tithe?

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not argued that the NT commands a tithe. I had said that a person who tithes will receive blessings, the blessings may not be financial or material. There are many forms of blessings.

On your last question. Can a church survive with no money?

#25 Crabtownboy, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is the teaching of "Sola Scriptura" that many apparently miss in Acts 17:11 as they dismiss out of hand what the "NT writers" call "scripture" -- "They studied the scriptures daily to SEE if those things spoken to them (By Paul) were so".

There are 66 books in the Word of God.

in Christ,

Bob

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry Bob, that argument will not work for you, for you know very well you will pick and choose which "do this" that feels good for yourself and say the others are not for you today.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't need physical storehouses for non physical blessings.

How are the churches surviving in China, Syria, Egypt and Iran? In fact, they are not just surviving, they are thriving! The intent of giving in the Bible is to meet the needs of the body and to further the Gospel...not pay for "stuff", facilities and benefit packages?

#28 webdog, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They all have some money. I know in Eastern Europe the pastors are almost never paid and must have jobs to support their families. Unfortunately they are often under educated. This is partly a result of the Communist governments not allowing Protestants to have good jobs or to go to college. This, again unfortunately, causes problems now that their young people are becoming better educated. The problems are, as can be expected, the older pastors want nothing changed, theologically or method wise.

I know a young man from Estonia who says new Christians are brought along spiritually for a few years. Then when they have "caught up" with the pastors and want more they are discouraged from any further spiritual development. This is a tragedy.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That doesn't really make any sense to me. Spiritual development comes from individual study, prayer and teaching from the Holy Spirit within. Just what are they not allowed to learn spiritually?? I don't think a Christian needs to be college educated, or seminary educated to be a spiritual Christian leader in the church. Sadly though, many churches believe it is a must or they will not give a person a position of authority in the church. Maybe this is what you mean, but the spiritual maturity really is based on the individual's determination.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could the poor widow survive without her 2 mites? [She mite or she mite not?].

12. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Malachi was not written to the Church. It was written to Israel. The very first chapter of the book makes that known...

Malachi 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

The tithe being commanded in Malachi was also not money, but food. Food so the Priests and Levites would be maintained during their shifts of working in the Temple.

The command to tithe ones money is nowhere found in Holy Scripture.

13. Steadfast Fred

The storehouse was indeed for food. And even the verse quoted says "that there may be food in my house."

Pastors today do indeed take that verse out of its context and apply it to a people and location whom God never intended the verse to apply to.

The promise was, as you so rightly said, material blessings. Rain so crops would grow. Keeping the insects from eating the crops. An abundant harvest, so abundant that there would not be room enough to keep it. (which shows some would have to be given away) Wonder how one gives away spiritual blessings? LOL

14. Steadfast Fred

It does not work because it was not meant for the world. It was meant for a specific nation... the nation of Israel.

15. Steadfast Fred

According to the Bible, the only promises for those who tithed was material. Rain, keeping insects from eating the crops, and an overabundance of crops harvested.

There are no spiritual blessings promised for tithing. Nor are there financial blessings for tithing.

And the only tithes commanded in the Bible are not money either... they are crops and livestock.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot put God into a pigeon hole. It just doesn't work. Remember how Christ was forever surprising and confusing his disciples. God will not dance to our limited understanding.

17. Steadfast Fred

god defined what those blessings were. It is there in black and white for all to read. The blessings were material... Rain, keeping insects off the crops, and abundant harvest of crops.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot stuff God into any man-made pigeon hole.

19. Steadfast Fred

I am not stuffing God into a man-made pigeon hole. He said what the blessings for tithing were. (Mal. 3:10-11) He defined what was to be tithed. (Lev. 27:30-33; Deut. 14:22-29) He decreed who was to tithe. (Lev. 27:34; Num. 18:26) He ordained who was to receive tithes (Num. 18:26; Deut. 14:22-29; Ne 10:38)

Today's pastors have invented their own tithing system; a tithe system completely foreign to Scripture. Then, they teach their man-made commandments as if they aredoctrines ordained of God.

They are not.

#39 Steadfast Fred, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please never sing the song that has the line, "All my silver, all my gold, not a mite would I withhold."

Christ demands our all, not just a little portion.

Do not stuff God into a pigeonhole of man's limited understanding.