1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tithing and the Love of Money

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Christ does not demand a monetary tithe. You cannot produce one solitary Scripture that says we are to tithe.

Not one! The monetary tithe is man-made and not commanded by God.

by the way, one can give all his silver and gold to the work of the Lord without tithing.

When the like-minded people of Acts 4 sold houses and land, they laid the full price at the Apostle's feet. No mention of them stuffing 10% of it in little white envelopes, nor of the Apostles keeping 10% for the maintenance of the Church. Instead, the money was distributed to all who were in need.

No instruction to tithe was given to any Church that we see in the Bible. Not even in the pastoral epistles.

#41 Steadfast Fred, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interesting that you quote Mal 3:10-11 on the fact that God views withholding of tithe as "robbing God". "Will a man rob God? - Yet you are robbing Me"

Mal 3:6 "I do not change"

Heb 13:8 "Christ is the SAME yesterday today and forever".

Those who "claim" to be doing so much MORE than what God's Word requires - most often are doing less.

in Christ,

Bob

3. Steadfast Fred

At the Jerusalem Council, James sent out letters by the Apostles to the Gentile Churches telling them to observe four necessary things.

He went on to say that Moses had people teaching him in the synagogues weekly.

Now, while the Gentiles that went to the synagogues may have heard tithing taught, it would have been the tithing that the Law demanded... crops and livestock. They taught the Law of Moses in the synagogues, not the man-made monetary tithe.

Acts 15:19-21 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Gentiles were never taught a monetary tithe. The monetary tithe was not taught by any of the Apostles.

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is the teaching of "Sola Scriptura" that many apparently miss in Acts 17:11 as they dismiss out of hand what the "NT writers" call "scripture" -- "They studied the scriptures daily to SEE if those things spoken to them (By Paul) were so".

There are 66 books in the Word of God.

Sorry Steaver - that argument against Sola Scriptura will now work for you because you know every well that when scripture is presented that is at odds with your traditions you resort to ad hominem instead of actually dealing with the scripture presented.

For many others however - "sola scriptura" discussion matters.

As is the case with you when scripture happens to be on your side. After all - just because you are in error on one point - does not mean you must be in error on every point. (As hard as that is for some of our board members to fathom.)

in Christ,

Bob

5. Steadfast Fred

Malachi 3 was not addressing the Church, BobRyan.

It was addressing those under the Law who were required to tithe. What was to be tithed in Malachi? Not money! It was that which the Law required... crops and livestock.

God does not change. True. Since God does not change, who changed the tithe from crops and livestock to money? No mention in God's Word of it being changed to money. So man changed it sometime after the last book of the Bible was written.

There is no command in the Word of God for the Church member to tithe his or her money. None whatsoever.

6. Steadfast Fred

Bob, practice what you preach. Search the Scriptures and tell me if it is so where God changed tithes of crops and livestock (Lev. 27:30-33; Deut. 14:22-29) to money?

Where is that verse, BobRyan?

#46 Steadfast Fred, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is it your claim that when a farmer converts his profits from crops, and livestock - into cash and pays tithe to the church from it - that it violates the Word of God on tithing?

Is it your claim that when Joseph and Christ work working the carpenter's shop and converted their profits into cash and paid tithe - that they were violating the Word of God on tithing?

Really?

Seriously?? That is the excuse??

in Christ,

Bob

8. Steadfast Fred

The Word of God declared crops and livestock were to be tithed, not money.

Tithes could be sold for money according to Deut. 14. But the money had to be used to buy food and drink with which the family was to celebrate a feast. Money was never tithed to the Tabernacle, nor to the Temple.

Joseph and Christ tithed money? Really? Where is that found in Scripture? I've practiced Acts 17:11 and it just ain't so.

Carpenters were not required to tithe.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You might have a point if the Bible doesn't show a clear distinction between money and crops to tithe, as one could buy back the tithe using money (Lev. 27)

https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/facts-on-tithing/

10. Steadfast Fred

great observation! And in order to buy back the tithe, one would have to pay that tithe first.

If he never paid it, how could he buy it back?

11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OSAS is not a tradition, it is a biblical doctrine, so that voids that argument. Now Tithing is both a biblical doctrine for OT Israel and it is has been adopted as a tradition for the NT believer. Now I would debate the Christian practice of tithing as a mere tradition of men. Whether it be a good thing or a bad I suppose is debatable, although I would argue it to be bad for it limits the believer's attitude to give according to their ability and according to their heart in faith.

I have yet to have scripture presented to me which is at odds against a biblical doctrine in which I hold to. How about you? I guess you would declare as much. :smilewinkgrin: