1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing Is Rare

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's my point. We don't need it to be legalistic.

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

Sorry you see my attempt at discussion as a mockery. I was merely attempting to show that it is harder to determine the base on which to give 10% than many people may have thought about.
    Specifically the many people who do not think 10% is just a suggestion, and who do think that it is carved in stone. I have more experience with payroll issues than a lot of people do, and I was attempting [​IMG] to provoke thought based on those experiences.

Partly, I had in mind a thread from last year in which blackbird was asking what part of health insurance was tithable. There are some pastors who say they tithe who do not tithe on the value of health insurance. There are some pastors who do.

My ultimate point,therefore, probably agrees with you, Trotter. God owns it all, give prayerfully. For many of us, that might be a great deal more than 10%.

3. Eutychus

Eutychus Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Where do people get the idea that tithing is about getting? It is an act of grateful worship for what God has already done.

Only a fool would think God is like a magical slot machine who pays off once one reaches 10%.

4. KellyWhite

KellyWhite New Member

A friend and I were discussing this subject the other day. We couldn't find in the Bible where it specifically mentions 10%. I think 10% is a good rule of thumb, but where is 10% specifically stated?

I'm shocked that so few people tithe. If I didn't tithe, I would feel that I was stealing everytime I walked into the church.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Karen,

our preacher recently started thinking along the same lines as what you posted. He now tithes on all the benefits he gets, not just the cash salary he receives. He has been teaching us how to truly tithe, and it really is alot more than what people typically think of.

As to what you were saying about employers payrolls, wouldn't you only tithe on those things you mentioned if and when you actually received the benefit?

I also have a friend who owns their own business. They were wondering if they ought to tithe on the business's profit, or tithe on the amount they get before they take out their own expenses for supplies and things? What do you think?

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From sermons and literature based on Malachi 3, apparently, yet ignoring the command therein to test God.

7. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one reason why I can't see how someone can justify the idea that the tithe of the Old Testament is somehow applicable to the Church. The tithe was part of the Levitical law to a specific people for specific commodities with specific uses and specific guidelines during specific occasions. It just takes too much twisting, contorting, stretching, and misapplication to form some kind of tithe law for the individual church believer that can become as complicated and ambiguous as tax law.
    How old does one have to be before he is required to "tithe"? 18? 16? 2?
    What happens if a child is given $1.00. Since this constitutes "income" must the child then find someone who can break it into dimes so that he could put one of the dimes in a plate? What happens if instead that same child receives a candy bar that sells for a dollar. Does this then exempt the child from the tithe requirement because the "income" was not a liquid asset? Or does the child then have to measure 10% of the candy bar and put it in the plate?
    Don't you think it is kind of interesting that the Hebrews had produce and money and yet according to the Law they never tithed on money, yet we today also have produce and money and yet we seem to always only tithe on money. And yet somehow the link is justified through cultural arguments hence creating some kind of Scriptural command with all the perplexing economical ramifications to solve.

There is no realistic way to try to enforce the specific Old Testament Law of Levitical tithing with all of its specifics and apply it to a totally different economic system consisting of individuals in local congregations in the disparate structure known as the church and make a Scriptural mandate. It is just not realistic nor is it necessary. The whole idea for the church is to give cheerfully and out of faith, plain and simple, no strings attached.

8. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sure that you report not only your net/gross earnings but also itemized deductibles, medical expenses, charitable donations, gifts, and other goods and services received that constitute economical value on God's Income Tithe W-2 so that on April 15th you can receive the proper Income Tithe Return check (if you paid a surplus) or how much you owe God...

or you will be cursed with a curse!

9. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Ares...that may have been a "tongue-in-cheek" post but there was a hugh amount of truth in what you said.The whole idea,legalistically speaking that we should apply the OT tithing laws to the NT church under GRACE is not only ludicrous but well nigh impossible the way money and goods are exchanged and used today.Why...since there IS NO Levitical Priesthood to collect and administer the tithes and offerings of the people we'd have to set up a BAPTIST I.R.S. to deal with it and organise the matter.Otherwise things would get disorganized and folks would not be accountable.(The very idea makes me shudder in fear)....particularly when you draw the inevitable parallels between the actual I.R.S. and the "proposed" NT Church agency."The LOVE of money is the root of ALL evil." Food for thought huh?

Greg Sr.

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Some businesses operate on a smaller margin than 10%. For such people, "tithing" on the gross instead of the net would have them giving away all of their profits and more besides.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Of course, you're right. Tithing and offerings are a grateful worship for what God has already done.

However, we can never 'outgive' God and He DOES bless us when we are obedient. 10% is just a starting point.

The tithe goes into the storehouse (local church). Offerings are above and beyond that and usually go to missionaries, families in need, love offerings, etc.

God loves a cheerful giver and, although tithing is not about 'getting', the blessings we receive are grand!

I know, for our family, God have proven to us over and over again that He can do more with the 90% that we keep than we can if we keep 100%.

I was always taught to tithe on everything, gift or earned income, but I don't think God is going to be knit-picky if we forget something, or don't know about something. He is more concerned about our heart and the attitude in which we give...

JMHO,
    §ue

12. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Originally posted by bapmom:
    bapmom: I would think they would tithe on their profit because, more than likely, they have already tithed on the money they used to buy their supplies and things.

That would be like me buying something (having already tithed on the money I used to buy it), then selling it for a profit. I would just tithe on the profit, otherwise I would be tithing on the original cost twice.

13. mnw

mnw New Member

If we are going to carry over the OT tithing principle exactly... should ministers even tithe? The Levites did not as far as I know. [​IMG]

I think 10% should be looked at as a guiding figure, perhaps even just a minimum. Is it easy? No. Does it increase faith? Absolutely.

At the end of the day the amount given should be whatever the Lord lays on an individual's heart to give. Of course, that requires individuals to be honest and open with the Lord.

14. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Num 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.

Neh 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

By the way, there is no way to carry over the OT tithing "principle" exactly without doing exactly what was predicated in the Law: Levitical priesthood, tithing of yearly increase of harvest (this is not income), yearly tithing celebrations, eating your own tithes, third-year celebrations, redeeming tithe of the ground plus 20% interest, and so on.

How about live by faith and give cheerfully, period. Forget the Income Tithe W-2 and just give cheerfully and abundantly.

I agree with this. This is my whole point. You simply cannot mold the very specific tithing laws in the Old Testament into a completely different scenario today. No one could ever be satisfied that he has fully "tithed" on everything "titheable" much like no one reports absolutely everything humanly possible for taxable income on the W-2. There are just too many variables.