1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing--to your Church, Or Pick and Choose?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Apr 27, 2006.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

And yet we all go tot church each week and expect lights, a working bathroom and heat in the winter. Just where does that money come from?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What does being saved have to do with being a member of a IFB?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Saved people should IFB? Yeah, right, I remember seeing that in scripture, yeah, right.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Actually, it says "Southern Baptist". Just ask Ed, if you don't believe me. I'm sure its somewhere in the Holman Version.

As for tithe, it used to go to Dr. Scott, up until he died. Since he is dead you can send it to Robert Tilton.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

GLC said:
    Saturneptune chimed in:
    Here's another reason why my local church should get first priority:

Paul tells us that Jesus shed his blood for His church (Acts 20:28), and also said "to Him be glory in the church" (can't remember the reference right off). It is the only organization Jesus established to advance His kingdom. He commissioned it, and only it. The "generic" church actually doesn't do much of anything, but churches do.

This is not an argument against para-church organizations; rather, it's an argument for giving priority to our local church when it comes to our tithe.

GLC:
    In my opinion, GLC, income is income. I'm with Saturneptune on this one. The tithe goes to the home church.

6. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the sake of this thread I will pretend to believe in this thing called a church "tithe". A tithe of course is ten percent of something. Can someone explain of whence cometh this ten percent? Net pay? Gross pay? Gross pay plus anything that can be reported on a W-2? How does the Scripture define what to tithe from as applies to the church so I know we are on the same page?

7. GLC

GLC New Member

Certainly the book of Acts gives good instruction on supporting the local church. However, there are also distinct differences. In Acts, they sold their possessions and then had "all things common". They were selling houses and land and giving 100% to the apostles so that the money could be distributed to the needy. None of us are using this as the model for our local assembly. Also, there were no other genuine, worthy ministries in need of support. So, I don't think these folks faced the question that was posed in this thread. They operated on a level with which we are not familiar.

8. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church generously supports missions ongoing, so tithing to my own church is a given for me. We start by giving 17% each week, for missions near and far, and we give much more than that locally in food, clothing, and by fulfilling other specified needs. We also work at our local baptist mission once a month.

We get so hung up on tithing in monetary terms when it's also giving of our time and talents. If you truly feel you don't have $ enough to tithe, then mow the church grass, spiff up the landscaping, do odd jobs around the building like spot painting or emptying/refilling the baptistry with fresh water, cleaning and taking out the trash. Share your talents ... they are God given, and priceless!

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

My previoue posts was:

"We have a responsibility to give, but the church also has a responsibility to be a good steward. If the church does not do its part, then we should fill the gap by spreading our tithes and offerings around accordingly.

I have seen too many people give grudgingly because they believe they must. I think it is better not to give than to give grudgingly."

After reviewing my previous post, I realized it was not very clear as to what I meant. I did not mean a tither should not tithe if he could only give grudgingly to his church. If he can only give grudgingly to his church, then he should consider giving it to some ministry that he can give to cheerfully.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In the book of Acts, yes they did sell everything for the good of everyone. And yes, we dont understand that frame of mind. That says more about our self-centeredness than the subject of this op. I do not know if there were any other worthy causes for Christ then or not, I wasnt there. I do know that if I am going to be for something like a tithe to the church, I am going to have some basis from the Bible, not "I was always instructed in the past..."

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think my local church should come first and then others as the Lord leads. If my local church was not a good steward of what God provides, then I might answer differently.

12. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

The Lord Jesus gave everything! Here we are debating on how little we should give Him.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

drfuss said:
    drfuss, if your church is not a good steward of the money it receives, that's symptomatic of larger problems, seems to me. If it's not worthy of your financial support, shouldn't you consider moving to a church that is?

Aresman said:
    That's a question for another thread, so let's confine ourselves to the OP

GLC said:
    Exactly. Acts simply records what they did. We have no mandate here to do the same thing, it's not recorded anywhere else in the NT, suggesting that this practice was unique to the Jerusalem church.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

GLC, saturneptune and I belong to the same church, which supports several para-church ministries through its budgeting process, along with the Cooperative Program, of course. Each ministry is reviewed yearly. Every church I know does the same thing.

By sending your tithe to a para-church organization, thus denying it to your church, isn't the church's ability to support these ministries thus weakened accordingly?

As a matter of fact, we just recently reduced our support for some of those ministries because the money just wasn't there. I hasten to add that the declining offerings were not because people were withholding their tithes or sending them somewhere else. But the result is the same. Reduced offerings for whatever reason, equals reduced ministries.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

GLC, saturneptune and I belong to the same church, which supports several para-church ministries through its budgeting process, along with the Cooperative Program, of course. Each ministry is reviewed yearly. Every church I know does the same thing.

By sending your tithe to a para-church organization, thus denying it to your church, isn't the church's ability to support these ministries thus weakened accordingly?

As a matter of fact, we just recently reduced our support for some of those ministries because the money just wasn't there. I hasten to add that the declining offerings were not because people were withholding their tithes or sending them somewhere else. But the result is the same. Reduced offerings for whatever reason, equals reduced ministries.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Tom,
    I agree with the statement about using your tithe through the local church to support other minsitries. Every year, we have the ability to vote or not vote on a budget. Our church is very faithful in giving compared to other churches I have seen.
    As far as the book of Acts goes, just because what they did or what we do as a standard does not make either one wrong or right. I merely was looking for Biblical support for giving to the local church. I still say the fact that we do not follow the example of Acts says more about our hearts than theirs.

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Just for the record...I GIVE to my local church AND to other ministries and needy individuals that I believe the Lord leads me to help and support. Most of the time(when giving money)I give on a "cash only" basis because I do not believe it is anybodies business what or how much I give.The exception is that when sending something in the mail I send a money order because it is safer.As for how much I give...while that is between me and my Lord,I will say that I try to always be as generous as possible since in actuality,HE owns it all...I'm just supposed to be a wise and good STEWARD of what He has graciously provided me.I'm sure sometimes that what I give exceeds what many would consider a "tithe"....and sometimes not...But I try to give "cheerfully" as I "purposeth in my own heart" and obediently as the Lord leads me.
    I DO NOT practice the form of "tithing" as it is taught in most of our modern-day Baptist(and others) churches today because I do not believe it is supportable from the scriptures in either Old OR New Testaments.In order to teach this "doctrine" you have to almost totally ABANDON the biblical definition of WHAT tithing actually was and to WHOM it was commanded(Israel).You can't scripturally go to Malachi 3 and put the New Testament church of the Lord Jesus Christ back under the law when we are under grace.Guilt is that which our adversary the devil wishes to cripple us with.We should not only LIVE BY FAITH....but GIVE BY FAITH as well.God Bless Ya'll!

Greg Sr.

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Greg Sr,

Thanks for your comments, but I want to stay on topic here. For this discussion, we are commenting on whether the tithe goes to the local church, or other ministries you may choose.
    We are not debating whether tithing is scriptural. In fact, for this discussion we are assuming that it is.

19. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Local church comes first. Others come second, as the Spirit leads .

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Tom wrote:
    "drfuss, if your church is not a good steward of the money it receives, that's symptomatic of larger problems, seems to me. If it's not worthy of your financial support, shouldn't you consider moving to a church that is?"

I agree that your local church is the one you should support. However, it isn't always that simple.

Some years ago, our pastor decided it was time for him to make all the decisions in the church even thought the C @ B forbid it. For cxample, the budget process was no more and the personnel and finance committees were told they were no longer needed since he had all he needed to make the decisions.

People responded in different ways.
    1. Some said he is the pastor and we will support him no matter what. Duh...
    2. Those who felt they must tithe to the church they attend responded in one of two ways.
    a. They left the church and went to another.
    b. They grudgingly continued tithing to the church and complained.
    3. Some spread some of their offerings to other ministries while still giving some to the church since the church was still providing teaching and fellowship.

The offerings dropped drastically and the pastor was asked to resign which he finally did. Had the offerings not dropped, he would probably still be here.

We have a another pastor and the integrity of the church has been restored. Those who left for another church have come back (church hoppers?). Those who spread their offerings around have restored their giving to the church.

I was one of those who spread my offerings around and could give cheerfully during the whole time. I do not believe in continuing to support something that I think is wrong.

My point here is that leaving a church because it has temporaryly lost its integrity, is not an easy or may not be the best choice. I think those who have been caught in this type of situation will appreciate the problems.