1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing, Whats the Big Deal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Palatka51, Oct 28, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How then do you explain the writers use of Abraham's tithing to Melchizedek, without the qualifications you have given it, to show its superiority over the levitical system and beyond?

2. standingfirminChrist

Hebrews 7:18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

The writer clearly says that the old has been cancelled out and replaced by the new.

It is quite obvious that the handwriting of ordinances that was against us (the Law) has been taken out of the way, and nailed to the cross.

3. antiaging

antiaging New Member

Tithing is scriptural, Old and New Testament:

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

According to the Old Testament you are robbing God if you don't tithe.

Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
    Malachi 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
    Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that [there shall] not be room enough to receive it.

If you do tithe, God has promised to prosper you.

2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

#143 antiaging, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  4. standingfirminChrist

Boy are you misreading the Scriptures.

Matthew 23, Jesus did not commend the Pharisees for tithing money, only produce of the land.

Malachi, again produce. Bring tithes into the storehouse (barn or silo) that there may be meat (food, not money) in my house. Windows of heaven refer to the LORD bringing rain upon the earth producing more crops.

Nowhere in those passages is the tithing of money even implied. Why add to Scripture?

1 Cor. 16 refers to giving, not tithing. Get your facts straight and then come back and we will discuss it.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell us exactly how you tested God and what the result was.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to see that, too. A local church had a "tithing challenge" where they would refund your tithe in the instance you were not blessed. Talk about stupidly testing God...

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Tithing preceded the Law. Why are you intent on limiting tithing to the Law?

8. standingfirminChrist

You apparently have not studied tithing properly.

The only instances of tithing before the law was by Abram, who was only said to tithe once... and that of another person's property and not his own.

And of Jacob who did not tithe until after nearly 21 years after he vowed to tithe. His vow was to tithe after God met certain requirements.

Using Pre-Law tithing principles, I reckon I could go pillage some local village and then give 10% of the spoils to a local High Priest. (Do you know any High Priest local to Mississippi?)

or I can just make a vow as Jacob did and include in that vow certain criteria that God must meet first... and then, and only then pay that tenth. (btw, Jacob did not call his a tithe)

In either case, Abram and Jacob were only said to give the tithe and tenth respectively only one time in their lifetime.

I was made to tithe were I was ordained 19 years ago, until the Lord opened up the truth about tithing to me.

It was only Israelites that were required to tithe. No other race of people .

Since I am not Jewish, tithing is not required of me even if the Law were still in force.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Why did the Hebrews writer mention that Levi paid tithes when he was in the loins of Abraham?

2. The Hebrews writer is not focusing so much on what was tithe but to whom tithing was paid, so that he can prove the superiority of the Melchizedek priesthood to that of the Levitical.

10. standingfirminChrist

I suggest you reread all passages concerning tithing and ask God to reveal the truth to you concerning tithing, because so far you haven't a clue

11. standingfirminChrist

Levi received tithes as did all Levites. Do you know what those tithes were? Produce, herds and flocks. nothing more. The Levites could own no property to grow produce or raise livestock, so the other tribes of Israel were required by Law to pay tithes to the Levites to feed them.

And yes, Levi paid a tithe of that tithe to the High Priest. The High Priest only received 1% of 100.

Peter chastised the Jewish Council in Acts 15 for trying to put Gentiles under the yoke of bondage found in the Mosaic Law. And not just circumcision, but the whole Mosaic Law.

The Gentiles were not of the twelve tribes. The tithe was not commanded of them in the New Testament just as it was not commanded of them in the Old.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You still continue to focus on what was tithed and not why the tithe.

13. standingfirminChrist

I explained what the tithe was. I explained why the tithe was needed. I explained who was required to tithe. I even explained what the tithe to the High Priest was... 1% of 100.

You must have missed that.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Heb 7:1-10
    1. The focus of that text of Hebrews is to show the superiority of the Melchizedek priesthood to the Levitical--focusing on tithing--of Abraham to Melchizedek--of the people to the Levites.

2. A Tenth of what the people possessed was the focus and not what they possessed--and the superiority of this tithing is drawn from the Melchizedek and not the Levitical under the Mosaic.

15. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I am in a fellowship right now that teaches what the scriptures teach regarding financial giving for New Covenant believers. And that is freewill giving.

I have in the past been a part of fellowhips where the pastor taught the error of tithing for the christian.

In situations like that I just sit there and let every word of his go in one ear and straight out the other. Then when the collection time comes I contribute what I "purpose in my heart" to give "joyfully", as the scriptures teach us to do.

God bless,

Mike

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hi Mike,

What do you consider "freewill giving"?

17. standingfirminChrist

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Can't get any plainer than that. Give as much as you can and still be joyful. If you are going to be complaining because you put $3 in the offering plate, God doesn't want you to give at all.

18. standingfirminChrist

My wife and I have made stickers to cover the word 'Tithes' on our tithing envelopes. They now say 'Offerings' instead.

TCGreek, for a good study on the truth about tithing, try visiting this site.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

SFIC,

I'm not for tithing today; I just wanted to see how you would defend against the tithing position. :thumbs:

20. standingfirminChrist

I don't defend the tithing position, TC. I do not believe the tithes were for the Gentiles.

1. Peter said the Jewish Council was not to put the yoke of bondage on the Gentiles.

2. It was never money that was tithed according to the Old Testament.

3. The only ones required to tithe were landowners who owned cattle or sheep or grew produce... which left a lot of the Israelites who were poor out.

4. The 3rd and 6th year tithes were to be given to Levites, widows, and orphans who lived on your property rather than taken to the Levites that lived elsewhere.

5. The only ones said to tithe out side the Mosaic Law were Abram and Jacob. ( I already explained my position there earlier.)

6. Paul stated that we are no longer under Law, but under grace.

7. We are to give as we purpose in our hearts, not grudgingly or of necessity.