1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by bigczardaddy: wow someone sounds upset did i hit a nerve. slinging dirt and making assumptions definantly sounds like someone who is grounded in Gods word and not one who is under deep conviction.

I don't think Brother Greg was upset at you as much as baffled. God's word is plain my friend. It speaks to the church in the age of grace.

You should really study this out through the scriptures instead of forming your doctrine on the teachings of men. Because that is where you got your convictions to tithe. Not from the N.T. So please get it right. God's word says plainly to give!

2. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

and i would say there is sufficiant evidence for tithing and your convictions are of man and not Gods word

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Czar...I respectfully disagree...You simply can't come to that conclusion if you properly regard the correct rules of biblical interpretation.The context of the passages you use simply does NOT support your conclusions.It also ignores dispensational truths in regards to the seperate entities known as the nation of Israel and the New Testament Church.While all scripture IS profitable for the stated reasons in 2 Tim.3:16,it doesn't equally APPLY to all it speaks to.God deals with the nation of Israel and the Church differently in different ages for different reasons(in His own wisdom...and for His own purpose).Tithing was not intended for the NT church since there is no Levitical Priesthood to sustain nor a temple to bring it into.For New Testament believers there is the priesthood of the believers...and we ARE commanded to give unto the needs of others,give to support the work of the ministry,and meet the needs of our families with the truth in mind that WE are God's...bought with a great price....the precious Blood of the Lamb..The Lord Jesus Christ.He owns all of it...Us...and All of what we possess.We are to be wise and good STEWARDS of all that we possess as well as our time and talents.For some,monetarily,our "best" may be 2%...or it may be 90%....however the Lord leads us to GIVE.I'm not under "conviction" as you suggest...I'm(for the first time in my Christian life)perfectly at PEACE about my convictions.I give as the Lord leads me to and it is simply a joy and a privledge to be able to give without being made to feel guily by some misguided or mistaught preacher beating me over the head(so to speak)with some "legal" requirement to do what I now do.In fact,God has blessed me finacially since I came to what I believe.I not only am able to GIVE more than I ever have in the past....but I have MORE MONEY than I've ever had before.I used to be broke a lot of the time.My personal experience doesn't by any means "establish" the truth of ANYTHING....but it does(to me)demonstrate God's faithfulness to me.As to Soulmans comments above,he's right...I wasn't "upset" at you...only BAFFLED at how any honest student of the Word of God can come to the "popular" "interpretation"of tithing that prevails in most Baptist(or other) churches in light of what the Bible actually does say regarding not only WHAT tithing was,but also WHO was commanded to do it and in what context it was both mentioned AND practiced.Now that I know the truth after my own study and investigation it just baffles me when I hear it preached your way.I pray that God will open your heart and mind to the truth before you lead other people in further bondage.Faith and Grace produces freedom...not bondage to a legal system that was nailed to the cross.May God Bless you my brother.

Greg Sr.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

so bigczardaddy where are you making your animal sacrifices and storing the grain you bring for your tithe?

5. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

right.all i am hearing is personal belief brought on by watered down teachings, a natural progression. weak teachings ia the down fall to baptist teachings,to many with what they thibk is head knowledge and not enough with heart knowledge.
    i to often wish so many golden coral baptist churches would proceed to non denominationalism by dropping Baptist, it would be better in the long run and less damaging to those of us following all of Gods inpired word not by mouth but by faith.
    that is okay i do not expect you to repent and admit your error for this is only a messege board with limited interaction and time. but on that great day it will be a great day for there we will know who was right and who has blood on his hands.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by bigczardaddy: right.all i am hearing is personal belief brought on by watered down teachings, a natural progression.

Sir, You are the one that is spouting opinions. Several people on this board have asked you to prove your point scripturally for N.T. tithing. You give us nothing but O.T. verses and claim they carry over to the N.T. That is a leap at best! Even if they did, the way tithing is done in N.T. churches is not scriptural by the very verses you quote.

You have not produced one N.T. scripture that says a man should tithe. Please don't quote Matt. 23:23. That was pre crucifixion and pre grace.

You are arguing aimlessly and have lost this one my friend. Giving is N.T. Tithing is a thing of the past.

7. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

so i guess Jesus and the 12 arent part of the NT church
    and i guess Jesus isnt an authority to base beliefs on.....

8. buckster75

buckster75 Member

???

9. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Under the Mosiac Law, the Israelites were commanded to pay tithes at various times throughout the year. The various tithes together add up to about 30 percent, not 10 percent. The tithes of Israel supported the ministry of the priesthood, the government of the day. The tithes commanded to Israel were in reality a form of taxation. The church is nowhere instructed to pay tithes, as such. Paul tells the Corinthian assembly to give regularly, proportionally, and sacrificially (1Cor 16:1-2; 2Cor 8:1-5). This giving is to flow from their personal commitment to the Lord and is to be motivated by their love for the Lord Jesus and desire to promote the spread of the gospel. Giving under grace should not be motivated by a fear that “if I don’t give it willingly, God will take it anyway”. Nor should we give to the Lord with expectation of getting more back than we give. This “seed faith” tithing is popular in some groups, but does not find support in the Word of God. All giving should be done with full understanding that everything we have is from the Lord and it is He who has given us the ability to work and acquire wealth. While recognizing that the tithe was a command to Israel and not the church, believers should be very cautious in using their liberty as an excuse to give less than the Old Testament saints. To who much is given, much shall be required (Luke 12:48). Giving under grace is a recognition that God owns it all – we give back a portion of that with which He has entrusted us out of gratitude and love.

As far as Jesus being a member of the Church? Are you kidding? Jesus died for the church and is coming back for His bride, the church.

As far as Jesus being an authority to base things on, what about Matthew 10? Jesus told the twelve not to go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans with the gospel of the Kingdom, but only to the Lost Sheep of the HOUSE OF ISRAEL! After the cross, to every creature, to Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the uttermost parts. Where is any repition of a tithe command post cross? Oh, sorry, it is not there.

That is the point of the animal sacrifice/storing grain question. We are not under law, but under grace. The cross changed a few things, to put it mildly!

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quote: so i guess Jesus and the 12 arent part of the NT church
    and i guess Jesus isnt an authority to base beliefs on.....

Jesus prior to the crucifixion was a jew under the law. There is no where showing Jesus acvocating the tithe after this or the apostles
    Give it up!

11. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

well i see i am getting nowhere, i was only trying to help so i will wash my hands and let you answer to the almighty.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I always appreciate someone trying to "help" me...however...when it comes to "help" regarding something of Biblical significance such as the subject at hand,it helps to offer advice ONLY if what you are talking about follows the basic rules of biblical interpretation and a proper regard for the context of the scriptures used.I've YET to see a proponent of the "tithing" position actually do that.They all have to IGNORE what the Bible actually says a "tithe" consists of....as well as who it was that was actually commanded to give them.Another legalist bites the dust.Our church GAVE the entire wednesday night offering to hurricane relief this evening and it was a JOY to be able to do that.GIVING is a JOY!Tithing is a TAX.

Greg Sr.

13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

AAAAAAAAAAAMen Greg

14. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

i spent decades in a church that taught that the “tithe” was nothing more than an OT principal, and “giving” was NT...then I started going to a church that taught we should “tithe”. This was a totally foreign concept to me.

So, I,like a good Berian, did a search on thit* and tenth with an online Bible and read. afterwards I had a better understanding of what the tithe was.

pastor brought up tithing during one of the mens Bible studies, I directed him to Deut. 14 which we read together and debated. The next time the pastor gave a message on “giving” I was cringing in my pew in anticipation of the “t” word. During the sermon, he did not mention the “t” word at all! So, there is hope for those that still think tithing has anything to do with the NT church.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Giving is something you own, tithing is what God owns, and what we give back. Offering is a proposal, or the actual part of the tithe (animal, grain, etc.) Which of the above represents what God wants from us and our hearts, regardless of where in the Bible it is mentioned? You can call it whatever you wish, but to dismiss the "act of tithing", not the title just because it is in the OT, is wrong.

16. buckster75

buckster75 Member

webdog,
    and yet the Bible uses the word give.

2 Corinthians 9:7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give ; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

17. buckster75

buckster75 Member

it is to be dismissed because it is for the living as are all laws. I have been crucified with Christ and no longer live.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The phrase "puposeth in his heart" occurs only here in the NT and indicates a predetermined plan of giving that is done from the heart voluntarily, not impulsively. This is the age old principle of giving that is shown throughout scripture, even though it is not tithing, it is the act and condition of doing so. In Romans 8:3, Paul highlighted 3 elements of the Macedonian's giving: According to their abilities (proportionate), beyond their abilities (sacrificial) and free will giving (choosing your own course of action). Again, call it what you will, but it is the "act" of tithing the Lord wants from us, not the phrase, and by no means should be "dismissed".

19. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Ifyou all don't mind I'd like to ad alittle.Ijust started school at Frontier School of the Bible.I had just over 100 bucks in my pocket after I paid for my books.just today Igot 50.00 in the mail from 2 people I only met 2weeks ago I'm sure God has provided for me because I've been faithful ingiving God what is his.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your relationship with these 2 people and what was the cause of their giving $50 to you?