1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Gregory Perry Sr. I agree with you and others.

The Bible is very clear that we are under grace now and we should GIVE ( not tithe ) with a cheerful heart. Not out of legalism, pride, fear, to gain respect, whatever.

I have seen God bless us when we tithed and when we didn't. We were hurt because of legalism and didn't go to church for a few years. And wouldn't you know it, he still blessed us tremdously and I mean TREMENDOUSLY during that time ! Even when we didn't trust him and weren't serving him. It wasn't until we finally moved and found an excellent, balanced loving church did we get back to serving and giving. Although now we give as we feel lead and are able. Now we do it cheerfully not out of fear and what woulld others think. Anyway I have learned He loves me and blesses me even when I don't deserve it.

We are no longer under the law but under grace God has proven that truth to me many times over. AMEN

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have no authority to impose my scriptural views upon anyone, especially in this issue, which is non-doctrinal. If I attempted to do so, I'd at best be guilty of legalism. I have only the responsibility to live as closely in accordance with the Word to the best of my imperfect human ability.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John this is why I asked what your source is. If it is scripture it must be the same Book for everyone. If it is what the Spirit told you then fine. Do you see what I am saying? The Spirit may tell different people different things but the Bible with it's direction for life does not change. The cov. has changed but the need to live a moral life has not. The laws are done when Jesus said "it is finished" one of the things He meant was that what He had come to do was over. One of those things was to "fulfill the law". Grace now is offered and Paul warded us of those who want to again sassle us with the laws.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Oh and by the way you can be "guilty of legalism" even if you apply it to yourself. If it is not from the Spirit of Grace. Again why I was asking about your source.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John you said, "I have only the responsibility to live as closely in accordance with the Word to the best of my imperfect human ability" but when it comes to the tithe if you use OT scripture as source what do you do with the other points of law? (such as the other tithes and adding the extra fifth) I am sorry if you already answered this I must have missed it.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

OT law consists of three distinct types of law: rabbinnic, civil, and moral. Civil laws are specific to the new Israelite community of the OT, and are no longer in effect. Rabbinnic laws were laws of daily living. While they're no longer in effect, the reasoning for them is often sound. Many rabbinnic laws still have benefits when adhered to. For example, eating kosher tends to have positive health effects (however, it is not a sin to eat non-kosher foods). Moral laws are perpetual, and still in effect. The Ten Commandments are exmples of moral laws.

7. faithtrustbelief

faithtrustbelief New Member

Buckster,

You are a liberalist or modernist plain and simple.

For Buckster and others who don't believe certain rules from the OT still apply,

I wasn't going to comment anymore but I just couldn't help but ask some questions. I firmly believe some (notice I said some) of the OT practices are still in effect cause Jesus replaced some of them. However, I still believe certain rules from the OT apply like for instance in this case Tithing is still a commandment of God . Anyone who believes different are not follwing the scriptures. For those of you who believe the OT doesn't apply anymore then I have a three questions for you:

1) If the OT doesnt apply, then why did God include it in our bibles?

2) If you believe all of the rules of the OT doesn't apply to us, then how do you explain 2 Timothy 3:16?

3) How come there are numerous occassions in the bible Jesus himself quotes from the OT?

I believe those that say the OT doesn't apply anymore is using it as an excuse to cover their obvious lack of dedication to Jesus.

I firmly believe views such as "OT doesn't apply anymore" is an example of how modernism, and liberalism is destroying and decaying our churches.

8. buckster75

buckster75 Member

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

faithtrustbelief
    you said:
    "Tithing is still a commandment of God." you do know there was more than one tithe? and you had to add another if it was converted to cash.?

10. faithtrustbelief

I dont have a problem doing that at all. I tithe every week exactly what I am supposed to. Why are you ignoring the questions? You never answer the questions..

LOL....

I will pray for you my brother....

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I think I said "laws" from the OT.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

You all so said "You are a liberalist or modernist plain and simple."

Wrong again I am as conservative as they come but I have done one thing many here have not : Read the Book for myself. I don't hole to tradition which dilute the words of Christ and the grace of God. Makeing the poor man feel guilty cuz he can not tithe. Those teaching this "select" portion and on top of that ingnoring repeated question on what they are doing with the rest of a law they claim to follow are going to be doing some explaining but not to me.

13. buckster75

buckster75 Member

were you talking to me about not answering questions?

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Are these the ones? My questions came days before these and you refuse to answere mine

1) If the OT doesnt apply, then why did God include it in our bibles?

2) If you believe all of the rules of the OT doesn't apply to us, then how do you explain 2 Timothy 3:16?

3) How come there are numerous occassions in the bible Jesus himself
    quotes from the OT?

15. buckster75

buckster75 Member

But you are not even looking at my questions

16. faithtrustbelief

Yes I was talking about you and anyone else who believes we are not under some of the commandments of the OT. Your comment on the poor man not being able to tithe. Well there is an example in the NT of a woman giving all of her money. Jesus comments on it. You might want to look it up. If the poor man puts Jesus first then he can tithe.

These types of views are decaying God's churches.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree my brother. I will pray for you to come to realize the truth of the scriptures.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Wait. Am I hearing you correctly? Are you saying that all the laws of the OT are still in effect?

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Will you answer my question about the other tithes?

19. faithtrustbelief

buckster,

If you go back I answered all of your questions with scripture...

20. faithtrustbelief

No I am not saying all of the OT is still in effect, but certain practices like tithing is still in effect.

Someone please find in the NT where it says tithing is not in effect. Alot of people are getting the false view "we are not under the laws of the OT" from Hebrews 8:13, and what they are not realizing is they are taking that scripture out of context. this is why I said how do you explain the scripture 2 Timothy 3:16 if you do not believe some of the laws of the OT are not still enforced.