1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Titus 3:4

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, May 19, 2015.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently, a poster asserted God's love for mankind was not expressed in Titus 3:4. Here is how the NASB renders the verse:
    But if you look at the NLT, or ESV, or NIV, is is what you get;

(1)But— When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love....(NLT)
    (2)But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared.... (ESV)
    (3)But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared....(NIV)

So at least three modern translations do not think "philanthrōpia" (Strongs' G5363) should be translated "love of men."

If we check other translations, we find almost all render the word love of men. Commentaries indicate this word expresses God's "all embracing love" for mankind.

Is anyone aware of the scholarly basis for omitting the full message conveyed by the word, and just translating the first part of the compound word?

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure Van. I have noticed that in Acts 28:2, the KJV takes the same word and uses it for "kindness".

In Titus the KJV translates similar to NASB

*Just looked at NASB Acts 28:2. It does the same thing as KJV. I guess because of " us" mentioned earlier in the sentence.

* never mind....I see why NASF vs NNSF

#2 McCree79, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have to say NASB and KJV are probably more literal here.

I will say that, in verse 5, it is clear that the love G5363 from verse 4, is directed at man(ESV).

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks McCree79. I agree, the versions that translate the full message of the word (love for mankind) are more literal and accurate.

Three related words appear in the text, Titus 3:4, Acts 28:2, and Acts 27:3. But in all three cases, someone is having merciful compassion upon a human being. The object of the act of merciful compassion (human being(s)) should not be left out of the translation. Thus Acts 28:2 could read "The natives showed love of humanity toward us...."
    And Acts 27:3 could read, "...and Julius showed his love of humanity toward Paul...."

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another key word in Titus 3:4 is chrēstotēs (Strong's 5544). The NASB almost always translates it as "kindness" rather than sweetness, or goodness. I say almost always because in Romans 3:12, the NASB translates it as "good" to mesh with Psalm 14:3, 53:3 and Ecc. 7:20.
    However the NET and NRSV stick with the primary meaning and translate chrestotes as kindness at Romans 3:12.

A compelling indicator that Paul used chrestotes to mean kindness rather than goodness can be found at Galatians 5:22, where Paul used another Greek word for goodness.

The reason this is not a slam dunk is Romans 3:12, where "there is no one who shows kindness" does not fit as well the doctrine of total spiritual inability.

But if we set that aside, then what is in view are two attributes of God, His kindness and love for mankind. And these attributes are demonstrated by our Savior.

6. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My guess is that if one studies synchronic semantics, you would probably come to realize that the world lost its "literal" meaning over time and simply became a word used for "charity" or "kindness". Not saying "love of mankind" is wrong. But I wouldn't rest much theology on that word forcing it to say something about God's love for the world that is not taught throughout the rest of Scripture.

See this for examples: http://stephanus.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=113845&context=lsj&action=from-search

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Greektim, I know you claim words do not mean what the lexicons say they mean. Fine.

However, many if not most others, accept that the words do mean what the lexicons say. Thus "philanthrōpia" (Strongs' G5363) should be translated "love of men" or some similar phrase. And the translators for the NASB95, the NKJV, the HCSB, and the NET agree with this rendering.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But no translation renders it that way.

NASB,HCSB, NET, CEB and LEB all have "extraordinary kindness."
    GWT,WEB, HCSB, ISV all have it as "treated Paul kindly."

The NET is close with 'treating Paul kindly."

I think I'll skip the Vantran.