1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Titus 3:5

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by pinoybaptist, Apr 9, 2004.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are the works of righteousness which we do ?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Anything we do to get approval from God. The passage is saying that God's love came in Christ not because we did good deeds, but because of His mercy.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 18
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Titus 3
    5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
    6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the "righteous" works I do are "filthy rags" in God's eyes, so I cannot be saved by works. By His mercy, by His washing of my sin (regenerating me so I would repent and believe) and inward work of the Spirit makes Bob righteous!!

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the words of Brother Ed : Preach it Dr Bob!

HankD

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Giving to the poor...
    Being kind to people...
    Avoiding sin...
    Showing compassion...
    Many, many acts of personal sacrifice and generosity. All these are good things. I know of no one who would suggest that the unsaved should avoid them. I also don't believe that God is telling us that the unsaved may just as well sin as not and it is fine with Him if they kill instead of help someone. He is telling us what the value of these acts are toward our gaining of salvation. In that case they are, as Dr. Bob reminds us, "filthy rags" and, as far as payment is concerned, they are as welcome as me trying to pay my mother for her birthday gift to me. Insulting is what it is.