1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tivo

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know diddly about it, but rumors are my 3 kids are talking about getting it for me for Christmas. Son says there are only two types of people - those who have tivo and those who have never seen it in operation. Once you see it, you have to have it.

Like honest evaluation, ideas, thoughts, etc. especially from those experienced with this. Sure this has been discussed before, but I was never remotely interested. Now, I guess, I am.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

They're Great! Watch what you want when you want to watch it. Store so many hours (?) of programming. Pause live TV. Watch one show whilst you record another. Record 2 shows at the same time. Rewind live TV anywhere from 12 seconds to 10 minutes.

Tonight Smallville and Lost come on at 8PM. Miami CSI and Law & Order SVU at 9PM. All Different channels. While I'm gone to church, I will be recording everything. Watch them later and skip the commercials.

I'm hooked!

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Yeah, I may have to consider something myself as the Fall Line-Up looks like there are going to be nights with NO TV and nights when everything conflicts...

May set-up up a computer with the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro and a big hard disk...

Plenty of junque computers cluttering up the house.. Ought to get some use out of the old Motherboards!

4. Lori

Lori New Member

Well hey guys if you just wait long enough anything worth watching will come out on DVD anyways! =o)

Bsides that if you get the kind of tvo that comes with satellite, nix on watching anything during a rain storm...or recording for that matter.

azwyld
    <*}}}><

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But don't you lose all of that "watch one and record another" if you have a cable box?

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

I'm not sure. My DVR is my cable box.

7. Lori

Lori New Member

See? Whadd I tell ya? DVD is the way to go. =o)

azwyld
    <*}}}><

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Son reminded me that there is a problem if a ball game runs over and you have a tivo on another channel. Like Monday Night Football was supposed to be over at 10 and a different show on a different network scheduled at 10.

Game went long and tivo shifted. He was watching the game later, slowly "catching up" to real time. Then "poof" it was done.

9. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Yeah DVD *is* the way to go *if* you can aford them.... [​IMG]

I am not talking movies... I am talking series...

And, they run in the $99 per season range...

10. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

We love it here. Can watch Clean Sweep and CSI shows, etc. in about 40 minutes as opposed to an hour because of sitting through commercials.

11. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Making provision for the flesh, I see. Hmmm no wonder you "Christians" hate the KJV and the teaching of Millenial Exclusion!

Psalm 101:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

You suppose you can have a perfect heart in your HOUSE while you are watching the Devil's FILTH?!?

3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Sounds like many of you have cleaved the to Terrorizing Vulture like starved dogs! You can't help but set wickedness before your eyes viewings the world's DUNG!!

4 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.

FRO'WARD, a. [L. versus: turned or looking from.]
    Perverse, that is, turning from, with aversion or reluctance; not willing to yield or comply with what is required; unyielding; ungovernable; refractory; disobedient; peevish; as a froward child.

Departing from the old paths and the landmarks that God has set up makes you all froward. David said and none of you can say, that a froward heart shall depart form me. You know wicked people, and do not lie and say you don't. Your favorite actors and actresses that kissing all over each other and fondling each other, ARE THEY MARRIED?? You favorite actors and actresses how do they resolve their problems, you EVER see them going to CHURCH (NOT CATHOLIC), calling upon Jesus Christ to help them out of their situation??? NO YOU DON'T!! Bunch of lying, sin lovin' God dishonoring, filth watching, disobedient christian HIPOCRITES!! Do you suppose that watching that idiotic dung brings glory to Jesus, AT ALL???

"Tonight Smallville and Lost come on at 8PM. Miami CSI and Law & Order SVU at 9PM. All Different channels. While I'm gone to church, I will be recording everything. Watch them later and skip the commercials. I'm hooked!" Gib

"We love it here. Can watch Clean Sweep and CSI shows, etc. in about 40 minutes as opposed to an hour because of sitting through commercials." NomadsWife

Luke 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
    35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
    36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
    37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

-DeaconLew

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

More like "judge."

14. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

JUDGE, v.i. [L. judico.]
    1. To compare facts or ideas, and perceive their agreement or disagreement, and thus to distinguish truth from falsehood.

JUDGE, v.t. To hear and determine a case; to examine and decide.
    1. To try; to examine and pass sentence on.

Did I cast a stone or compare facts and ideas?
    If you are truly righteous then what I said would not have bothered you.
    Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

The fact is it "Christians" like you bring shame upon the name of the blessed Lord of Sabaoth!

Romans 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

2 Peter 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
    32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

If I did not love believers, I would have been bored with this board a long time ago. :(

-DeaconLew

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is not the place for attacks - you dont have a clue what kind of Christian I am.

BTW - I am not even sure what Tivo is ;) .

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

DeaconLew, All Other Discussions is for light hearted discussions ONLY. If you'd like to debate television watching. please start a thread under General Baptist discussions or other locales.

Titus 1:15 To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.

17. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

C4K,
    I am not attacking you. I am attacking the spirit that hates when truth has been spoken and calls it "judging." If you are offended I did not do so intentionally.

As believers we are called to live a life head and shoulders over the world. Sadly many believers feed from the same trough that the world does saying "we have liberty in Christ." Folks I am not mean but I hate sin. There is so much sin among believers that it makes me just cry. I have seen friends get sucked under because they would not live a separated life. The bible is clear on this subject. More often than not we are just wilfully blind.

1Corinthian 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
    18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Praise God you have no idea what Tivo is. [​IMG]

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

TIVO can be used to record some good programming that some great men of God produce. I could see TIVO as a great way to avoid bad advertisements and programming.

But some seem to put their mind in the filth. Shows you what they are thinking about.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have time to police people about what they do and don't do. I would rather teach them to be obedient and live in accordance with scripture under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. When people know God they have discernment and want others to know him. They don't have time for religious nonsense. I let people wrestle with God instead of me.

I have found every time something to be true. Those who spend most of their time condemning others spend no time discipling others. You cannot do both at the same time.

I know the world's value are terrible. The church is just as bad if not worse at times but I don't have time to beat people over the head with a Bible while the world is going to hell. I don't want to waste my time on religious folks who want to do nothing. I want to help those grow who want to grow. The harvest is plentiful. When I was on the dairy farm we didn't have time to fight and complain when it was harvest time. We worked long hours to get the job done and in the barn.

Those who are rocking the boat are not those who are rowing it.

So the question for all of us ought to be; "Who's living for Jesus Christ because of our life?"

I want to teach new believers to listen to God and be obedient to Him.

I have listened to sermons by Billy Graham many times and he packs a punch. He tells them about hell and God's love while at the same time he communicates God's great love for them. That is the reason people listen.

Good teachers will get students to chieve a very high standard and know where the students are at all times. He never puts them down and complains to them. He leads them to be more disciplined and achieve higher dstandards. We must do the same with others. We must always be about pointing people to God.

20. Gib

Gib Active Member

I see you've
    met my other brother Darryl.