1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TNIV, have you read it?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I picked one up the other day and have been leafing through it.
    Does anyone else have one and what do you think of it?
    Gina

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I do not have one and never will. Gender-inclusive language versions are for the trash can.

3. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I ordered advance copies for myself and my best friend as birthday presents. It's great! Most people make a big fuss over its steps forward in gender accuracy, but that only covers about half the changes. There were several places where the TNIV is more literal than the NIV, and a huge and misleading marginal translation from the NIV was dumped by the TNIV. And proving that its use of gender-accurate language wasn't prompted by feminism, some verses in the TNIV are rendered less inclusively than the NIV because doing so was a closer translation. The TNIV has been used in our pulpit a number of times. It's really nice to have a conservative, fairly literal, evangelical translation in today's ordinary language!

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Yes, this version is sooo conservative that the SBC made a formal statement denouncing it for its liberal leanings.

They didn't make anything more accurate. It might be slightly better than the NIV in places, but that hardly makes it good.

5. kman

kman New Member

I have a problem with the gender issue as well.

But one of the most disturbing passages is
    I Cor 6:9. Why did they change "homosexuals"
    in the NIV to "practicing homosexuals" in the TNIV? What is the motivation behind that change?

What exactly is a practicing homosexual? What is
    a non practicing homosexual? Is a "married"
    homosexual a practicing homosexual?..etc etc.

I Cor 6:9 "Or do you know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters not adulterers not male postitutes nor practicing homosexuals nor thieves .... will inherit the kingdom of God." TNIV

6. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Could you be more specific?

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I would imagine a practicing homosexual is a person practicing homosexuality.
    As long as we're on earth our flesh will still have it's desires. For some it's homosexuality, for some it's sexual immorality, for some it's theft, for some it's lying.
    We're still what we are until we are made perfect, but a Christian will no longer do these things although the desire may still be there.
    That's my take on it. If it wasn't so there'd be no hope for any of us because we're all in the flesh still what we were, it's the spiritual that has changed for us.
    Gina

8. kman

kman New Member

That's not the point. The point is they singled
    out 1 sin to specify as practicing.

Why didn't they say practicing thieves, practicing adulterers and so forth?

They purposely introduced ambiguity into the Word of God where there should be none.

-kman

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "practicing" makes the leap that someone is a homosexual regardless of behavior rather than someone being homosexual because of their behavior.

If someone is not a "practicing homosexual" then they are not a homosexual no matter what their weakest point of temptation might be.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now the SBC is the standard by which things are deemed conservative..interesting?! I wouldn't trust the SBC propaganda, they are much too interested in "out conservative-ing" one another.

The TNIV will find a place in evangelical circles. The changes in language usage for the next couple of generations will cause it to grow in popularity. I think it is a good translation it's gender-inclusive language being a strength.

11. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Ouch Daniel ..... That is a bit harsh..

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I would like to also add that the TNIV is the product of the same kind of translation philosophies as the NIV.

It is up to the translators to translate the various words, not interpret them. The TNIV is trash, except for the use as a commentary.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

While I've yet to read the entirety of the TNIV, I am troubled by its deceptive promulgation and am growing troubled at its translational choices.

Only underscores the fact that the ESV is the real deal :D