1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TNIV strong on deity of Jesus (?)

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

John 1:18
    No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

I am in no way a fan of the TNIV. But the above statement (translated from the "best manuscripts") is very strong. No matter what a TNIV-reader believes, he has to believe that Jesus is God [​IMG]

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the TNIV for the gender neutral wording of texts that to a Greek mind would be well gender neutral. Have used it to preach from a couple of times and no one even noticed the difference, it is that similiar to the NIV

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

What are the best manuscripts?

4. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Don´t ask me what they mean. Maybe some gnostic manuscripts from the Alexandrian area :rolleyes:
    I just think it is interesting that the TNIV is so strong on Jesus´ deity.

5. Forever settled in heaven

Don´t ask me what they mean. Maybe some gnostic manuscripts from the Alexandrian area :rolleyes:
    I just think it is interesting that the TNIV is so strong on Jesus´ deity.
    </font>[/QUOTE]it's not surprising at all. the "strength" of the statement lies not in the TNIV translators but in the choice of variants they made--they chose the "corrupted" underlying Greek texts that stood out strongest for Jesus' deity, which didn't happen to have been available to the KJB's translators (AFAIK). had Miles Smith n co. known about this variant, they'd probably have put it into their 1611 as well!

that's another reason why JWs n other Arians shy fr MVs; they'd much rather tackle the KJB or use their own NWT.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Who cares how strong a translation is on a specific verse? The bigger question is, how contextually accurate is that specific verse to the text from which it was translated?