1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TNIV Tops ESV , NASB & NKJ In Accuracy

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well , you have to admit it was an attention-getter . It is not necessarily more accurate across the board . Passages have to be taken on an individual basis . To make such a sweeping and provocative statement as I have in my thread title is a bit too much . But I have caught you looking now , haven't I ? Ah hah !

We'll start with John 6:39 .

ESV : And this is the will of him who sent me , that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me , but raise it up on the last day .

NASB : This is the will of Him who sent Me , that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing , but raise it up on the last day .

NKJ : This is the will of the Father who sent Me , that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing , but should raise it up at the last day .

Now , the improved clarity of the TNIV : And this is the will of him who sent me , that I shall lose none of all those he has given me , but raise them up at the last day .
    Quoting a friend of mine :"Considering the way Greek uses neuter collective singulars , I would argue that the TNIV translation here is not only more understandable but also more accurate ."

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

Good insight. I'll take it a step further: The neuter use is because of semitic influence, which is predominant in the Gospels.

This is another example of the superiority of the TNIV translators over the ESV translators.

Only two on the ESV team knew classical Greek, JI Packer, the gen. editor and one other person.

A working knowledge of classical Greek is needed for translating the NT properly, seeing how words are really used--from Homer onwards.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here's the NET:

"Now this is the will of the one who sent me – that I should not lose one person of every one he has given me, but raise them all up at the last day." (same in the HCSB)

As you know, I have profound respect for the NET translators, for they know the languages and are up on recent biblical scholarship.

#3 TCGreek, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Resurrection Of All Those He Has Been Given

Might the same be said for the translators of the NLTse ? :"And this is the will of God , that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me , but that I should raise them up at the last day ."

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ouch ! That's a fascinating piece of data ! But it also points out the low level of scholarship that went into the mildly revised RSV ( known as ESV ) .

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

I didn't consult the NLTse on John 6:39, but it got it right.

Regarding the ESV, while it could have done better with it revision of RSV, I still think it is the NASB-type for the 21st centur, for a person who's interested in that type of Bible.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People are welcome to read , study , meditate and preach from any Bible version of their choice . However , the ESV is not a 21st century version . The only thing I can say was that it was released in the 21st century . Most of its antiquated language hearkens back to an era much furthur removed from our day and age .

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I understand what you are saying, but given its approach to revision of the RSV, it came out more like the NASB, and I personally think that it's better than the NASB (I know you will disagree with me here).

2. I compared both of them and even though the NASB is better in some places, generally speaking the ESV is better.

3. The "antiquated language" was by design.

4. Check out the TNIV at Gen 1:6-8, and what is this "vault" idea?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah , the word 'vault' wasn't the best word choice there . Most English versions use the word 'expanse' . The CEV and Good News both use 'dome' . The NLTse has 'space' .

But what about the HCSB which has 'atmospheric domain' in Ephesians 2:1 ? Fortunately that will be changed in its revamp . And I suspect that 'vault' will also vanish from the updated TNIV in the near future .

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yeah, HCSB got me there and also at Matt 5:22, "Moron." I believe that is going too.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

Well, Gordon Fee, one of the translators of the TNIV, maverick view of 1 Cor 14:34, 35 didn't cause these verses to be footnoted or italicized as in the case of Mark 16:9-20 and John 7:53-8:11.