1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To be baptised must one agree to join the church?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Jack, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Jack

Jack New Member

A while back our church had a debate over a person who wished to be baptised, but did not wish to join our baptist church. They attended regularly, but held a membership in another church (methodist) since youth and did not wish to give it up by joining with us.

We refused the baptism. Did we err?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe y'all did anything wrong. If there was some reason he/she couldn't, or wouldn't, get baptized in the church that they were a member of, and still professed and wanted to be a member of, then y'all were better off staying out of the middle of it.

Perhaps I should clarify. If the individual made a profession of faith, and fulfilled the same scenario that the eunuch did, I probably wouldn't deny baptism. However, your post didn't mention whether this individual made a profession of faith in your church, or simply came to your church seeking baptism. The pastor should have sat down with him/her and explored what the individual was after, and y'all could have gone from there.

But based on your post, it sounds like the person showed up asking to be baptized, and intends to go back to the Methodist church and tell everyone they got baptized.

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Don ]

3. Brian

Brian New Member

Jack a question I have is when you say they attend regularly. Do they attend your church like they were already members? You know most Sundays and evening services or are they visiting many churches including thier old one?

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I was baptized on September 9th this year at a Baptist church, but choose not to join it. Several reasons went into that decision, including that I did not feel this is where God wanted me to join. I agree with the doctrine, and attend every Sunday, but do not wish to join.

Jesus commanded us to baptize believers. He did not command us to make church membership a requirement of baptism.

UNP
    Adam

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure there are reasons why you might be baptised in one church and not join. My parents were baptised in a different church because our church at that time didn't have a baptistry. You could be baptised in a river or ocean like was done in the past.
    To be baptised in one church and not join is as the Old Baptist would say out of order... Just my thoughts... Brother Glen :confused:

6. Jack

Jack New Member

In answer to Brian's question this person attend our church as if a member on a regular basis. The whole reason they did not wish to join was the membership they had in the church of their childhood. This church practiced infant baptism I believe and they had been sprinkled, but not baptised.

The church felt that if one was not willing to follow in obedience by cutting ties to an apostate church and indentify with those of sound doctrine they were not serious in their confession to follow christ.

7. Brian

Brian New Member

That being the case the whole deal sounds sketchy. Like they want to be a part but not a complete part. They obviously agree with the theology and doctrine at your church. What do they gain by retaining membership in the Methodist church? Or what are they afraid will happen? Knee jerk reaction would be to baptize anyone who claims to believe. Proper reaction would be to acertain what that belief is and act accordingly.

I have a little personal experince with this my wife was a Methodist and gladly joined the church she got saved and baptized in.

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

If a church practices correct doctrine regarding Baptism, it will only baptize a person into its membership. Any person who agrees to be baptized by a church but then refuses to acknowledge his membership in that church has deceived both himself regarding the meaning of baptism, and the church which baptized him. :(

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Baptism a work of the church or may any individual do it? If it is in the perveyance of the church, then the local church's policy takes control.

I personally have never baptized anyone without them being a part of the local church. They can go get dunked in Pat Boone's swimming pool if they want to be "baptized" and not affiliated with a body.

But we have many universalist baptists who look at baptism as part of the "mystical" church, so membership/attendance in a real local assembly is secondary.

10. John Wells

John Wells New Member

We recently had a Dad get baptized and then turn right around and baptize his two daughters himself (with the pastor with them in the baptismal). That was a special moment, and not a dry eye in the place when all was done! [​IMG] Praise God!

11. Jack

Jack New Member

I'm disapointed. A baptist site on theology and a real life situation dealing with the doctrine of our name "baptism" / "baptist" and I've see nothing, but opinions all of which lack the scriptual support?

Come on guys give me some meat! [​IMG]

12. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

well, i don't know alot about what it says about being forced to join a local church when you are baptized, but I know that all those who were baptized in the new testament did join a church- the catholic church [​IMG]

UNP
    Adam

(and I DO mean a lower case c on catholic!!)

13. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I,ve been a member of two different local Independant Baptist churches. In one believers were baptized as the Lord led them and they joined the local church as the Lord led. In the one I am a member in now they are baptized into the membership.This is taken from Acts 2:41-47.Verse 41 says "they that gladly recieved his word were baptized". Verse 47 says "were added to the church daily such as should be saved".

14. Michael Estes

Michael Estes New Member

Is that what our goal has been for two millenia now? Baptizing people onto the pages of the church register? Where in the Bible does it say that in order to be baptized you have to become a member of any particular congregation? It doesn't. We all should exhibit extreme caution before deciding to follow mankind's doctrines rather than God's. If it ain't in the Bible, then it don't mean nothin'.

15. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

What does it mean to be a member anyway? Have your name on a card with a check mark? In Jerusalem, the first church could not get membership cards at the local church supply store. I just bet they got baptized and then everybody said they were a member of the church. That said, it seems to me kind of strange to get baptized and not be a member of the church. A pastor at one church I used to attend baptized some people who didn't join and then just announced to the congregation he had done that. He said they had to leave town real soon.

I never did feel comfortable with that action.

16. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Oh but let me tell you about our neighbor. We wound up taking her kids to church with us and she started attending even. Then one day she got a letter from her old church back home - they let her know they were DROPPING HER FROM THEIR ROLL because she wasn't attending there any more! So then she actually joined our church. Conclusion - people have funny notions about church membership "back home" and sometimes its a good thing to clear the church rolls!