1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To Clause or not to Clause: Santa and the Church

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by DeanPastor, Nov 1, 2003.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

While I don't believe in Santa Clause---I do believe in Santa's "cause"---sorry, no Santa memorabilia at church!

In seminary at NOBTS--we erected a big ole "revolving" Santa---you know, the Santa thats electric and that goes round and round and waves at 'cha---

Some of the preachers threw a "hissy fit" for having that in the cafeteria---I thought it was kinda cute(not the hissy fit--but the Santa)!!! They complained to Doctor Leavell---to no avail! Come to think about it---it may have been Dr. Leavell's electric Santa there in the cafeteria!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blackbird

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You left out the tooth fairy, Johnv! And I agree!

Diane

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm 37, and I still believe in Santa. [​IMG]

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

a) There's NOTHING WRONG with having Santa Claus visit all the kids in the fellowship hall in church even, except . . .

b) SOME WILL BE OFFENDED and because some will be offended, and we can't help that, then just don't do Santa. Paul of Tarsus was very definate about our obligations to not offend our Christian brothers and sisters.

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

There is nothing wrong with Santa Clause:
    Santa is Real
    Santa is eternal
    Santa is unchangeable
    Santa is omniscient
    Santa is omnipotent
    Santa is omnipresent
    Santa is sovereign
    Santa is good
    Santa is just
    Santa is righteous

Let's all get in the spirit of Christmas. Santa Claus is coming to town. HE IS COMING SOON.

6. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every good fundamentalist knows that Santa is just Satan with the letters reshuffled. A sure ticket straight to hell, this devil in disguise. :eek:

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Amen brother!

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I will not lie to my kids and say there is a santa.

9. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I think kids should know what the truth is. They should know that there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. If they need something to believe in, tell them about Jesus and what he has done for them. Let them know on Christmas morning when they open their presents that it was Jesus that allowed Daddy or Mommy to have the health to go out and work and buy those things for them. When I told my kids this for the first time, they thanked Jesus, me and my wife for what they got, not some fat man in a red suit.
    Were the world has these things, we as Christians have Jesus Christ to believe in.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yep, and there's nothing wrong with believing in the mailman either.

He's everywhere, rain, sleet, snow, or shine
    The mailman will be bringing news
    The mailman is nice
    The mailman is real
    There will always be a mailman
    He has complete control over your mail
    We leave him mail in our mailbox and it disappears the next day
    HE'S COMING AT ANY MOMENT!

We used to not celebrate Jesus birth. We do now. We also enjoy the idea of St. Nicholas as being someone caring and loving and giving. He doesn't in any way, shape, or form take the place of Jesus in our lives during the Christmas season anymore than trying to be more like our pastor or Paul or any other "heros" we look up to do.
    I'd be a bit leary of having a Santa in the church due to other people's beliefs about it though. Plus tons of little kids are scared of him. (talking 1-4 yr. olds)
    Gina

11. Copen

Copen New Member

One Easter a cousin and I started talking about how the Easter Bunny was able to leave a gift in every home all over the globe. And then how simular that was to Santa Claus. We were only 7 & 9 years old. But we decided only God could be at every home. That these were immitators and that God was a jealous God. From then on, I bought my own Easter basket and Mother bought my Christmas presents. We were very poor so it was not much. And I knew why my gifts did not compare to others.

The history of St. Nicholas as I understand it, is that he gave out goodies or gifts on Dec. 6th as he did not want to take any focus away from Christ on His celebrated birthday by the church. That seems like a good thing to keep in mind. Are your children anxious for the coming of Jesus or Santa Claus? Who gets the most attention.

One day I read an article by a pastor about how Santa Claus was anti-Christ. Since then I have found his list can be extended many time longer than article. When I try to tell people they say, "Santa Claus is not against Christ." But the word "anti" also means "opposite".

Genesis says the definition of a god (little "g") is knowing good and evil. When your children are singing praises to Santa Claus these words are sung, "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake"

I believe he's a god. And I believe he is the abomnation of desolation who stands in the holy place of many hearts.

Santa's gifts are not free.
    Santa gives better gifts to some people than he does to others.
    Santa takes credit for that which he did not do.
    Santa steals attention from Jesus.
    Santa is dressed in red. Jesus in white.
    Santa lives UP in the North Pole. Jesus lives UP in heaven.
    Santa causes parents to lie to their children.
    Santa comes thru a place of fire in chemneys to get to your children.
    Jesus had a tree. It was ugly and repulsive.
    Santa has to have a tree. It is beautiful and full of vanity.

And many a church will not have a picture of Santa Claus but they will have his tree in the worship area.

I thought a tree without focus on Santa was a good compromise for my child. Then I read Jeremiah 10 to do not as the pagans do with their customs. Then it tell what the pagans do. They go to the forest and cut a tree with an axe. Deck it with silver and gold and fasten it with nails and a hammer so it won't fall over. If it needs water you will have to borne it, because it can't draw it's own water.

Now, after many years of having a tree, I'm stuck. Hate that tree. Can't stand to have to go through the ritual of trimming a tree. But hubby still wants it. I keep praying to be delivered from it. But so far God has not enlightened my husband.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Or, perhaps God has not yet enlightened you? I would hardly consider the display of a Christimas tree to be a compromise of one's Christian faith. If you do, then perhaps you place too much faith in the tree.

If we truly were supposed to eschew anything that had origins in pagan custom, we'd have to get rid of the names of the week, and stop blessing people when they sneeze (it's bases on a non-christian belief that the sould left the body temporarily when sneezing). We'd have to stop cremating our dead, because pagans did that. OTOH, we'd have to stop embalming our deceased loved ones, too, because the egyptians did that. Oh, and we'd have to stop burying them in the ground, because many pagans did that as well. We wouldn't be allowed to be vegeterian, because the Bible tell us to "take, kill, and eat". We'd also be forbidden from having candles in our churches, because candles are associated with paganism.

I could go on, and on, and on.

13. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Santa Claus is welcome in my church because we see him as a cute fictional story character in his current form. (I know Santa Claus stems from good ol' St. Nicolas, the real life giving soul).

Santa Claus does not interrupt our fellowship because no one would dare debate over such a minor issue. The kids love him, but they still understand Christmas as a celebration of Christ's birth; therefore, Santa Claus exists as just another way to celebrate.

Why do we continue to debate over these "little" issues? I think we can hold to different opinions, but we should not divide over it. We should not see each other negatively over something like this.

Now fornication and adultery....

[​IMG]

14. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Jamal5000 said
    Those things need to be discussed, but right now this thread is about idols and vain imaginations.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Children believing in Santa Clause is neither.

You know what the biggest problems with adults is? Not enough of them rely on Christ. You know what the second biggest problems is? Not enough of them have imaginations.

The following bears repeating:

I don't tell my kids Santa isn't real.
    I don't tell my kids that the Easter Bunny isn't real.
    I don't tell my kids that their imaginary friends aren't real.
    I don't tell my kids that Mickey Mouse at Disneyland is just some dude in a suit.
    Over time, as their ability to ascertain between reality and imagination develop, they discern these things for themselves, at which point I affirm the correct discernment.

To date, doing so has nurtured my two daughters into two beautiful, devout, loving, and faithful Christians who are so on fire for God, the four oceans cannot quench them.

16. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Johnv said
    The problem is too much imagination and God warn us of this.
    Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

2Cor 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

If you want your children to believe a lie then that is YOUR choice. My kids knew the truth of Santa and the easter bunny. They are serving Jesus now and are teaching their children the truth.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then we should also tell our four year olds what an orgasm is. Perhaps at the age of three, we'll go ahead and tell them that when Daddy or Mommy were in college, they had tried smoking pot. Perhaps at the age of six we should go ahead and tell them that Mommy cheated on Daddy when they were dating. After all, we want them to know the truth, don't we?

Or perhaps it's better to wait to tell kids the truth about everything until they are of the age that they can understand it.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're completely using the verse out of context, a common mistake made similarly with the verse on vain repetitions. The verse does not address healthy imagination, which, as I stated earlier, I believe we are sadly lacking in.

19. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

Santa Claus,
    Another good topic, I have no probs with the fictional Santa. I will just tell my kids it’s all marketing to make money, all your gifts were from the good Lord and family members who love you. I guess, I will see how tough I am when he is old enough to ask those questions, LOL.
    However, I would feel kind of funny about lying to my kid about Santa Claus. Isn’t that a sin? Giving your kid a gift with Santa name on it? Come to think of it why do you want to give a gift to your kid with Santa’s name on it? I like the idea of saying here you go son/daughter in Jesus name a Christmas gift for you.
    Questions for all who deceive their kids by make believing in Santa Claus, why do you do it? My wife was hurt when she heard there was no Santa when she was young. I do believe that Santa does take away from Jesus. Kids look forward to gifts from Santa, instead of the blessings the Lord has blessed us with by having the ability to buy gifts for our children. Especially with all the marketing propagandas that goes along with Christmas.
    My wife and I thought long and hard on this and no matter how you look at, you are deceiving your child. Also, what happens when he/she finds out? They get hurt a little and then when they get over it, some kids will be deceitful themselves. Even though they know Santa not real anymore they still act like it, so they can get more gifts. Well, that’s what I heard anyway, I forget where, may have even been this board.

JohnV, aren’t you going a little bit overboard with the orgasms and pot smoking stories? If your kid at that age is asking about orgasms and pot then you are doing something wrong (editorial you).
    However, when they do reach that age and ask those difficult questions, a lie is a lie which is a sin

20. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

JohnV, I just can not IMAGINE how you ever got to thinking the way you think. I guess you don't believe in absolutes either. The verses I used are not out of context nor did I use it wrongly. You just will not accept it because you are IMAGINING another gospel.