1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To "Tat" or not to "too." Is it Spiritually Acceptable?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 5, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came across the following front-page article in our local newspaper today, and couldn't help but wonder what the view of others is when it comes to tattoos. I couldn't help but notice that while some pastors have body ink, other churches are against the practice.

SEE:http://www.pe.com/local-news/rivers...nd-tattoos-no-longer-taboo-for-christians.ece

As a child, I remember seeing the people, who worked at the carnivals, with missing teeth and tattoos, and that image comes to mind when I see folks with tattoos all over their bodies.

Furthermore, I can't help but look at these folks with body ink and wonder if they'll think it was such a cool thing when they are old, shriveled up and sitting in a rest home with wrinkled tattoos! :smilewinkgrin:

So what is your view on this subject, and while sharing, if it isn't too personal, please tell us if you have body ink, or know of anyone in your church, or in the pastorate with body ink?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Personally, I don't think that it's overly wise to get a tattoo unless it can be well covered up for work because it CAN be detrimental and as I age, I see how our skin changes and I'd hate to see how tattoos would change with age. But I don't think we can really Biblically argue against them and I would certainly never condemn anyone for getting one - even a pastor. I'd just not be thrilled if any of my children got them on a very obvious place on their body (face or neck) and they would have to be over 21 to get them in our family.

3. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, several, and I doubt it.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A missionary friend of mine had a "Christian" tatto artfully scribed to his ankle.
    It had to be redesigned before he went overseas since it marked him as a Christian missionary.

Another friend who recently become a Christian wears long sleeves even in hot weather to cover past tattooed indiscressions.

A former woman co-worker of mine told me she got a small short-stemed rose tattooed on her upper breast; I joked that in another 10 or 20 years she'd have a long-stemmed rose there.

I though tattoo's were a young person thing but met a woman not too long ago who got her first tattoo in her mid 70's just to win a bet with her daughter.

Rob

#4 Deacon, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm wondering if Leviticus 19:28 would apply today:
    KJV
    ESV
    NIV
    John Gill quotes Ben Gersom:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Getting a tattoo isn't a sin. If one is going to claim the Deuteronomy or Leviticus passage as a New Testament Age forebodance of getting a tattoo, then one is going to have to follow the rest of the Levitical Law to the letter - and that includes the animal sacrifices.

Now, if one wishes to apply the spirit of the Law and say, "you know, God once associated this practice with paganism, and I'll pass on the tattoos for that reason", then that's fine.

It's all moderation and common sense and intent of the heart. Those who tattoo their entire bodies and faces and put demonic symbols or sexually explicit material on their bodies are not glorifying the Lord - but just the opposite.

And then you have the stupid people who get their girlfriend's or boyfriends name tattooed on their necks and then marry someone else later! Oh, the stupidity!

But a tattoo that is benign, such as a soldier who gets his deceased buddy's name and military symbol on his arm or a woman who gets a flower or butterfly on her wrist or ankle .... I just don't see the harm or the sin.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What Scarlett said.

Post Tat----------------> :flower:

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Scarlett, I continue to be impressed by your insight and your wisdom as shown by your posts.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think your position (bolded) is reasonable.

But at my age, I still wonder if there is such a thing as common sense regarding tattoos.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

These days is there such a thing as common sense regarding anything? It seems to have become extinct.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not believe they are sinful, some images can be, but in themselves, no.

I have a stone cross on my shoulder and am getting an armband with my kids' name and Psalm 127:3 real soon.

12. GSmith

GSmith New Member

Not sinful as others have addressed. Yet as a pastor of a small SBC church I have 4 tats 2 visible on my forearms and the church saw and knew I had them before calling me. Would I get more?Possibly. Would it hinder me being called to some churches? Yes it would but pending my chosen field of witness it also could be a draw for me. No current plans for more as these were all 4 pre-salvation, but I have considered getting a christian style tat on my calf.

#12 GSmith, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  13. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I don't see the harm or the sin of a benign tattoo in a descrete place either. I do have reservations about them when they become excessive. I don't know where the boundry lies between being simply a body decoration and them becoming a form of idol itself.

Maybe that's the wrong word. What's a person signifying when they have massive amounts of tatto's displayed? I have a nephew who fast approaching that situation. Just one example: He has barbed wire tattoed around his neck. In another case, saw a woman at the grocery store in a short skirt. Her legs were completely covered with tattoos. On a side note.... she was overweight which made them even more .......... you flll in the blank.

A while back I saw a beautiful young woman who came in our shop. She was wearing one of those cut off tank top things and a pair of barely there shorts. The tatto that circled her navel disappeared under both the top and her shorts. She was wearing some kind of stone in her navel. Couldn't help but think what she'll look like at 9 months pregnancy and afterwards. And later when middle aged spread takes its toll.

Will she, like my nephew, regret all that permanent body ink later in life?

That's in more ways than one.

It seems that this "fashion" is flourishing in these economic hard times. Can't help but wonder how many will regret having the ink on their bodies and an empty bank account?

In closing there's one more point to think about. A person who sits near me at church is increasing their body art at a regular pace. Yet, I've never seen that person put an offering in the plate when it's passed. (Sitting too close for me not to notice.) Can't help but wonder how Christ will view that when this person stands before Him?

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If a person can do that in faith based on the bible and unto the Lord then it is permissable.
    Rom 10:17
    So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
    Rom 14:22
    Hast thou faith? have [it] to thyself before God. Happy [is] he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
    And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because [he eateth] not of faith: for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin.
    Col 3:17
    And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

My first pastor sat under at the AG church was ex Navy seal, who had big navy ship and barbells on each forearm, and don't that the OT law as regards to skin piercings were given to regulate those!

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Pastors are not the standard. The bible is.

17. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

pastors would be representing godly standards and practices before their flock, correct?

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

There is no biblical reason to make flat no tat statement. We should not draw lines when God does not. However, if the Spirit leads someone to a personal conviction on the issue then they should obey it, but they are not free to demand the same restrictions for others.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My dad had a huge tattoo on his forearm of an eagle and an anchor from when he was in the navy. I grew up with it and never thought anything of it. He was not worshiping pagan idols.
    These days, it's just the latest fad. I personally think it's a waste of money, and someday they may regret that they've put a permanent mark on their skin that they would like to take off, but it's not sin.
    I have 2 piercings in each ear and some would consider that to be sin also and a waste of money. But being a girly girl, jewelry is never a waste of money. :laugh:

20. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Personally, I have always thought, my entire life,(even as a kid) that it would be unimaginable to ever, for any reason under the sun, get a tatoo.

I felt that way prior to being born again, and even more so as a born again person.

But I dont think less of people if they have them, lost or saved.

But I personally could NEVER get one.