1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To "Tat" or not to "too." Is it Spiritually Acceptable?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 5, 2012.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally don't care what other people do as it doesn't have any effect on me. But, I don't intend to become a walking advertisement for some artist, regardless of how much talent he/she has.

Other peoples artwork on my wall or in my ears, ok, i can take it down if I get tired of it or change the station. But you can't switch out a tat very easy.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Very few that I have met.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

would think the majority of God called men in christian ministries though would reflect Christ, wouldn't they?

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If you are asking should they yes they should, but if you are asking do they then no I don't believe that a majority does. If they did then I believe the church would be in a much better shape then it is in today.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I remember when a buddy would get a tattoo, it was usually done on leave and there were copious amounts of alcohol involved. I guess times have changed. :)

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Ann, thanks for the link. In addition to the article, the comments were a good read, too.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ah well, if Deut 19:28 no longer applies, then I'm reduced to arguing that as a general rule, tattoos are unattractive.

And if one digs them, what's the point of putting one where nobody can see it?

I know, I know, I'm old and out of touch with modern tastes.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really wonder how much the body art will be appreciated on an 80 year old grandma.

I can hear the great grand children say, "Granny, can I color my skin like yours?"

"Sure," is her reply. "It doesn't hurt, will be attractive to the most godly man for you to marry, and will bring more attention to Christ as the Lord of your life!"

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, in my sinner days, I got two tatoos. One is a barbwire wrapped around my upper right arm, with two feathers hanging off of it. The other is a dog with a bone in his mouth with the words "lucky dog". I had them placed there so that I could easily cover them up for work purposes(I work in a hospital lab), and also church.

They shouldn't, but tatoos have a negative connotation associated with them. To each his own, but I do think it would be unwise to get them post-salvation, seeing how some would judge them wrongly. However, this is MHHO.

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

You're right about that.

For example, a God fearing woman is dressed and madeup so she looks like a hooker. How will the world view her, both people who are saved and those who aren't? Does that help or harm her witness?

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not saying that women should dress like Amish women.

And, IMHO, there's a big difference between having a tat or 2 that can be covered or revealed at any given time and the massive amount of "body art" many are wearing today. Maybe it's just me, but to see the arms of anyone covered with ink from wrist to shoulder is just plain ugly. That's one of the "negative connotation(s)" that I have with them, personally. Every time I see that on a young person I wonder what they'll look like when they are as old, flabby, and wrinkled as I am today.

12. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

Agree 100%.

I've ruffled some feathers on another forum by stating that if I were an employer hiring a person for a position that interacted with the public, I'd skip over those with tatoos visible or weird piercings. That is just not a professional look to me and not what a company wants on it's face. Sorry if that offends anyone but as with anything, there are consequences to all your actions; especially such permanent things as tatoos.

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

People are quick to judge, and a lot of times, they judge wrongly. A tattoo doesn't make one vile, but people will think what they want to regardless. The only thing I will tell anyone who desires a tattoo, think long and hard. It costs a lot more to remove than to add them.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

True tat!:laugh:

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

God "tattooed" me with two birthmarks under each arm and when people ask me about tattoos I tell them that if God does it it is perfectly fine.:laugh:

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I guess it depends on what type of job it is. My son is an IT tech and works with hospitals all over the country. He has 3 tats and his ears are pierced. That may make him sound horrible to you but he wears a tie to work, keeps his hair cut very short and neat, face clean and shaven, and he's quite handsome with an awesome personality. It's just the latest fad these days. I didn't want it, but he's an adult and he makes his own decisions. But he's always been employed.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God tattooed me too. I have a birth mark on my leg. I also have have an age spot on my cheek (the one on my face :tongue3:) in the perfect shape of a heart. Oh the joys of aging! LOL

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Too...much...information...:laugh:

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry 'bout that.....

[​IMG]

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well it could be worse- we could all get together and compare marks- come to think of it, what's the difference between that and a 'tattoo show'?