1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

To tithe or not to tithe.

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by pawn raider, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Graceforever

Graceforever New Member

First, I would like to say that God loves a cheerful giver, so there certainly is scripture for giving to the poor, but only with a willful and cheerful heart… If the Church can’t help people, then we’ve lost the meaning of the word Christian.. I’m also not saying that you shouldn’t support your church, which is only common sense…. Someone has to pay the bills folks…

The evil thing is that the Church is draining the members (in the name of tithing) and using the funds to support their expensive habits… I’m not saying all churches are doing that, but you know some of them are…

As far as tithing, I don’t believe in the ten- percent tithing that was clearly under the old law…. If you want an example of early church giving you have to look in the Acts 2:43-46
    The Bible teaches us that we have the power to choose either to give, or not to give, but don’t try and take credit for giving, when you’re not giving… Acts 5:1-4
    It was plainly in their hands not to give, if they so chose, but they evidently wanted to lie to the Holy Ghost in order to receive praise of men…..

The laying aside at the first of the week was a charity offering to the poor churches, most notably, in Jerusalem…

This laying aside of what the Lord has blessed you with is concerning money that Paul was taking to the poor people in some of the poor churches… Romans 15:25-27
    Laying in store on the first day of the week has nothing to do with giving ten percent…. 1th Corinthians 16:1-3
    The way I study the Bible, that was an offering of charity to Jerusalem….

Lastly, the early Church was careful not to lay unessesary laws upon the gentiles, seeing that all were saved under the Holy Ghost… These are the only abstains that I can find that the Mother Church of Jerusalem laid upon the Gentiles…. Acts 15:19-20
    Peace, Gary

[ April 14, 2002, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Graceforever ]