1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Today

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Sherrie, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

In todays society, how do we define "busybody"? At church lately I have been seeing some things, that seem like they are a little too much.

Sherrie

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Personally, I define "busybody" as someone who looks for things that will discredit someone and then tells everyone else.

Those people obviously have no life of their own and have to rely on the 'doings' of others.

What most people do not realize is...even if the story they are telling is the truth, it is STILL GOSSIP and very harmful.

JMHO,
    §ue

3. GloryBound

GloryBound New Member

Sherrie, I used to live in an area where we had a very busy "Busybody!" She would call me on the phone at work to tell me some of the silliest things going on around our neighborhood! If the man down the street got a new car, I would know more about it before that mans wife could get home from work to see. I had to put a stop to her calls to my workplace.

I honestly believe she thought it was some kind of honor to be the "First" to tell something! She reminded me of a fisherman! Sit there all day just waiting for something in the neighborhood to move so she could be the first to catch it, then release it! [​IMG]

~GloryBound~

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I think they're sad. Must not have much of a life themselves if all they can do is tell other people's business. I will tell someone that I'd rather 'so and so' share that with me if they want me to know because it makes me uncomfortable to talk about someone elses business.

Diane

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yep! I have seen that too! [​IMG] But I am seeing what to me is more serious than that. Or maybe it is the same. I think it is sad. The ones I am talking about seem to want to be important, or "hey look at me kind" of things. And they think they are so right. And they are very loud. And they do not even see they are hurting the church. Sometimes I just stay out of the programs because I do not wish to be apart of where they are. Because it just seems like they are just sucking you into what they are doing.

I have seen good people leave the church because of these people.

No one can know everything there is about everything. And yet these people always have their nose in everything. And it spoils it for those who are truly trying.

I just guess they want to feel important, or not forgotten. But what way to remember someone.

Just like the Ladies Retreat committee. Two ladies are doing everything. Even appointing the same ladies over and over to do things. 10 ladies went to the meeting to help, and yet they were completely overlooked. Because they were not part of the two ladies social scheme of things.

One lady who was very active in the church...just left. She has not been back. And her husband is not happy either and he has left also. And both were very active and supportive of the church. They just could not handle anymore of it. Now we are at loss over two good youth teachers. And also the wonderful fellowship in the Lord with them!

I am very sad about this. They were really good people who were devoted to serving the Lord, and just could not deal with this.

I want to call them and figure out a solution to please have them come back. But I also do not want to get caught in the middle of it. But these are good people who have been hurt.

But there are other things going on...and yes these three ladies are at the heart of it too. I noticed too our attendance has been very low too.

And the sad thing the "busybodies" don't even realize it is them who are hurting everyone.

But they would like you to think it is just their church, and only they can run it. And they do hurt people because they are always talking about someone behind their back. But hey ya got ot give them credit, they do it in their own little group! Geesh!

Sherrie

6. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yep! I have seen that too! [​IMG] But I am seeing what to me is more serious than that. Or maybe it is the same. I think it is sad. The ones I am talking about seem to want to be important, or "hey look at me kind" of things. And they think they are so right. And they are very loud. And they do not even see they are hurting the church. Sometimes I just stay out of the programs because I do not wish to be apart of where they are. Because it just seems like they are just sucking you into what they are doing.

No one can know everything there is about everything. And yet these people always have their nose in everything. And it spoils it for those who are truly trying.

I just guess they want to feel important, or not forgotten. But what way to remember someone.

Just like the Ladies Retreat committee. Two ladies are doing everything. Even appointing the same ladies over and over to do things. 10 ladies went to the meeting to help, and yet they were completely overlooked. Because they were not part of the two ladies social scheme of things.

One lady who was very active in the church...just left. She has not been back. And her husband is not happy either and he has left also. And both were very active and supportive of the church. They just could not handle anymore of it. Now we are at loss over two good youth teachers. And also the wonderful fellowship in the Lord with them!

I am very sad about this. They were really good people who were devoted to serving the Lord, and just could not deal with this.

I want to call them and figure out a solution to please have them come back. But I also do not want to get caught in the middle of it. But these are good people who have been hurt.

But there are other things going on...and yes these three ladies are at the heart of it too. I noticed too our attendance has been very low too.

And the sad thing the "busybodies" don't even realize it is them who are hurting everyone.

But they would like you to think it is just their church, and only they can run it. And they do hurt people because they are always talking about someone behind their back. But hey ya got ot give them credit, they do it in their own little group! Geesh!

Sherrie
    </font>[/QUOTE]now who is gossiping?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sherrie
    </font>[/QUOTE]now who is gossiping?
    </font>[/QUOTE]lol, you just can't get away from the gossip syndrome, it's everywhere

8. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

You know I came here with genuine concern for my church! Not instigating or bickering! If you do not have anything that is informative or anything that can help the situation why did you come to this thread!

This is the very thing I am talking about. Some people just have to make themselves seen whether they know something or not!

What was your purpose, for real?

If anyone has any information that will help me, as I go to call on these people...please pm me. I do not wish to get pulled in the middle of something, but I have been asked to talk to them, and see how they will come back to church.

I am not looking for arguements or any sarcastic replies.

Sherrie

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Sherrie:

I think it should be up to the Pastor to go to these people, not someone in the congregation.

He is the shepherd and he needs to tend to his flock. I know you are trying to help, but you may end up doing more harm.

I don't mean that to sound unkind. But, the pastor HAS to know about this cliche and it is his job to not allow this to happen.

I hope things work out for all concerned.

Blessings,
    §ue

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Being a busybody isn't talking about being a gossip. It is dealing with someone who is actively seeking to oversee/control/direct/influence things that are actually none of their business. God lumps them in with murderers, thieves, and evildoers. I found Strong's definition VERY inrteresting.

244. ajllotriepivskopo" allotriepiskopos; from 245 and 1985; one who meddles in things alien to his calling:—

245. ajllovtrio" allotrios; from 243; belonging to another:—

1985. ejpivskopo" episkopos; from 1909 and 4649; a superintendent, an overseer:—

In other words, a "busybody in other men's matters" is someone who is trying to take oversight in matters that belong to another. This is the person for whom the expression was designed, "Who died and made you boss?" and to whom we would all like to say, "It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!". They are pushy without the position to back it up.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you talk about someone being a "busybody" without being one yourself? This compares to catching criticism for what you are doing (e.g., having wine with dinner; going to a dance club) and saying "You're judging me and scripture says to not do that." You are judging them for judging you; very much like talking disparagingly of someone who talks disparagingly of people.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sherrie, you DID set yourself up for that one! [​IMG]

Now, serious answer. These people have offended YOU, correct? And from you sharing (and I appreciated the illustrations of your problem) it is more than just a passing matter.

My encouragement to you would be to go to the "busybody" one-on-one (Matthew 18). It is YOUR responsibility as the "offended" party. It is the right thing to do. Most of our churches would say let the pastor or elders handle it and when "out of control" and destructive to the whole body, I would agree.

But start with the one-to-one and try to win a brother, restoring them to the body. Try the BB gun approach before bringing out the atomic bomb! :eek:

13. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yes, thank you Dr. Bob.

This is a problem that has exploded really big, and everyone else has already gone to talk to both sides. Now what is going on is a stand off. It seems neither side wants to give.

I am praying about it, and just ask that you would lift both sides up when you pray.

Thank you
    Sherrie

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sherrie, I will join you in prayer about this tonight and pray that healing begins tomorrow during your services.

God Bless,
    Diane

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sherrie, I wanted you to know that I'm thinking of your church this morning and will be in prayer that God's hand moves and that hearts are healed today.

Diane

16. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Massdak, Katie Bond 007

What sad replies to someone genuinely seeking guidance from brothers and sisters in Christ. Remind me never to ask for your advice on anything. :(

I'm sensing some hidden agenda in at least one of those posts, its not the first time I've seen this type of scarcastic reply to Sherrie. I would suggest that you find something better to do.

Sherrie, I agree with Dr.Bob and will be praying that the situation is resolved soon.

God Bless

Enda

17. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

how sad it is for you to suggest a hidden agenda from your own flawed "SENSING" it amazes me of those who seem to know the hearts and motives of everyone. I stand by my comment, read the whole issue and lets lay to rest all gossip and reading of others hearts and motives.

Gal 4:16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

18. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Thats strange, I thought you were reading Sherrie's heart, so it's alright for you but not for the rest of us, is that your point?

It's not nice when the shoes on the other foot, is it? That was the object of my post. Think you've got the message.

You might want to apply that verse to your own life before you preach it to anyone else.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Could be becasue you don't know Sherrie, she is axactly like the poeple she describes. And worse.

20. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

On the contrary Katie, I do know Sherrie, she's one of the nicest people on the Board and I know there are many here who would agree.

She's been a great source of encouragement to many people here in the past including me. I hope she doesn't allow people like yourself to drive her off the board again.

Thanks for proving my point.