1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Todays boys are either barbarians or wimps?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Daniel David, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The question is, of course, what defines "masculine"? Many incorrectly equate masculinity with machizmo. Godly men are not machizmo.

The topic of the article in the first post is about men being either barbarians or wimps. I say that they are not exclusive. Men who act as barbarians do so out of cowardice, which, as you corrrectly point out, is a sin. Barbarians are, by the very nature of barbarism, wimps. That is not to say that Godly men don't have fears. The Godly man is able to overcome his fears, and control them, rather than having his fears control him.

Godly and masculine men are in full accord with 1Cor13. Godly men know the difference between headship and dictatorship. Godly men know that it is Jesus, not they, who is the head of the house. Godly men treat women as help-meets, equals who support each other. Godly men submit to their wives as they would to Christ, and do not dishonor their wives' submission to them as to the Lord. Godly men love their wives as Christ does the church, and do not betray the love their wives have for the husbands as Christ loves them.

Besides, Patrick Stewart is considered by many women to be, uhh, quite masculine.

On that note, I'm off to the gym [​IMG]

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

1. I think the article pointed more to the norm of today, than every single instance.

2. A man obedient to Scripture knows that he is the head whether he trys to pass it off under the guise of love or stupidity. Consider 1 Cor. 11, which EXPLICITLY states that the man is the head of the woman.

3. Of course.

4. Godly men obey Scripture, and therefore submit to Christ, not their wife. Such a man does not understand his role.

5. Of course.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

DD, without making this "yet another" topic about submission (especially given that we appear to agree more than disagree on the topic), don't forget that the Bible explicitly tells both the husband and wife (as well as all Christians) to love each other as Christ loves us, and tells both of them to submit to each other as to Christ. A husband is given no "power" over a wife, only spiritual headship, which is a responsibility, not a right. Headship does not equate to dominance.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    by gb93433
    Tyrants just like me ? What do you know about me ? Are you my judge ? Tell me something you know about my personal life, or about me. Have we met ?

Do you know my children ? Have you met any of my children and therefore can back up your calling me a tyrant ?

I don't know who you are but let me tell you this, as God is my witness, I did not need to use the belt on my children, two daughters and three sons, past the age of five. One sharp look, the inflection of voice, was enough. Why, because I was a tyrant ? No, because when they deserved it, they got the belt, and they knew if I went for my belt, I will use it.

Now, I was 180 lbs., and a three or four year old would be 75% less of my weight, do I use the belt with all the force my shoulders can throw behind it ? My two daughters are both mothers now, if I did, they will probably not become mothers.

One of my sons is in the US Air Force, and when he was at San Antonio in Basic Training, he was among the top five in personal discipline. Did he get
    that way by instinct ? Do you want his address so you can write him and ask him if I have ever busted his nose or physically abuse him ? I'll give you a chance to document your calling me a tyrant. Give you a chance to prove it.

One of my son graduated college in the Philippines with neither me nor my wife to guide him. From high school. Yet he never missed church, never got a failing grade, and passed the board after college with just one take. Is that discipline and character, or is it not.

Search the net for news on the Philippines, and see if we have school shootings, presidential assasinations, kids who murder their parents, or if talking back to parents is a norm for our kids, or if our 13 year olds ask us what wine tastes.

I think you got me wrong, you know. I love this country, the USA. I stand by this country's soldiers wherever they are sent, rightly or wrongly, and I will not demoralize them by asking that they be brought back home with their tasks unfinished.

But there are certain things I think is wrong also in this country, and one of them is how children are raised. Why am I glad my children weren't raised in this country ? Let me give you the answer.

Because I don't want them to raise their own children in fear that the police will be set on them if they so much as use the belt to instill discipline. The belt is good. You had your tar and feathers and woodshed before the days of 'enlightenment'.

Because they didn't have to go thru the bullyings in school that most students go thru in this country. Bullyings by kids whose parents are almost always absent, or whose parents shake in fear when they get screamed back at by these bully children of theirs.

Because they don't have to be a non-virgin by a certain age, which is among the peer pressures kids here face. Both my daughters were virgins when they married at the ages of 22 and 21.

Because they didn't have to watch the likes of shows such as Jerry Springer's and get the idea that, hey, in this country, parents cannot just grab their kids by the throat and shake them even if we talk back like they were our age or our mentality or even if we outright attack them, because if they ever get that idea, they will get my idea back.

This, and other things which for lack of space will not be mentioned, are some of the things that make me glad my children were not raised here.

And you know what ? I'll go to jail and keep going back if I have to, because the state has no right to tell me how to discipline and raise my children. I'll discipline them the way I see fit, because they will have to live later in society among civilized human beings, and they must know that wrong gets penalized.

Your brother is a police officer ? And he makes sweeping judgments of human character ? Is that what you're saying ?

Well, my father was a cop, I had 5 uncles who were cops, one uncle who was in the Army, and one who served with the Freedom company in Vietnam, and they all used the belt on their kids.

So, before you call somebody a tyrant, make sure you know the guy.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina:

You have a very wise heart, and a broad mind. Thank you for your insights on the differences between cultures and peoples in raising up their children.

For the record, I would like to say that not once in my post did I insinuate Christians here or in my country should use belt and fist. Only that in my country that's how children are disciplined. I should have added that the fist is the last resort, and only on boys already too big for spanking.

And for the record, I resented being treated in a cavalier manner by being quoted Scriptures like I was some erring soul who wanted to lead fellow believers astray since, like I said, I did not anywhere say Christians ought to do that.

I also resent being called a tyrant by somebody who knows nothing about me, my background, my parents, or my children.