1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

today's music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by evenifigoalone, Nov 21, 2014.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, so I have to say I don't bother to listen to what's popular today, so I don't know much about what plays on secular radio and such. Most of the music I listen to is Christian or Christian related. (I do listen to some secular music, ones with good lyrics.)

When someone linked to a music video saying here's this week's most popular song, I was struck not only by how much the music totally sucked (and I listen to a good variety of music) but by how shallow the lyrics were. Literally, just about being sexy.
    So out of curiosity, I looked up a list of the currently most popular songs. Only looked at the most popular 10, don't have time to look up all 100. (And the songs on that list change with the popularity, so it's a bit different lineup now than two days ago when I looked at it.) More than half of the songs were about sex. (Taylor Swift is an exception. I'm not much of a fan of her music, country break-up songs aren't my thing. But I at least know her songs aren't about being sexy or having sex.)

The music I listen to is not like that. The music I listen to has lyrics that are deep and meaningful and make you think. That's what I go for in music. I'm human, I have a sex drive just like anybody else--but I don't get the appeal of music that focuses so much on sex. Music is supposed to be an expression of emotion--like poetry, but sung to music. But I guess the music we listen to reflects what's on our minds. Just like art and poetry.
    Some say that Christian music is no different from secular music. I beg to differ. None of the music I listen to has the message that those songs on the top 100 list do.

#1 evenifigoalone, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't listen to top pop songs, but I can imagine they are very sexual in nature. I did go through a phase of listening to current country music in late summer, early fall, about 2 months worth. Every song, I mean EVERY song, has a drinking reference in it and I would submit that half of them have someone getting drunk in them. The biggest hit of August/Sept was "Drunk on a Plane" about a guy that got jilted by his fiancee, decided to take his non-refundable honeymoon vacation by himself, and gets absolutely hammered drunk on the plane. And so does everyone else on the plane, including the pilots.

It got to the point that I would listen to songs I'd never heard before and wait for the reference to alcohol. I was very rarely disappointed.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Member

I can appreciate different music genres from classical to punk rock. And I do listen to both old and modern music. I would say it's not actually about what type of music this particular song is, or in what era it became popular, I believe it's about the meaning behind the song, if it has substance or not.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm not sure if music these days is a reflection on society or if society is a reflection on the songs to be honest.

Most songs these days are about sex, getting drunk, taking drugs and a lot of other topics that while I'm sure we all know exist, we don't need them advertised all over the radio.

When you look at how a lot of people live these days, their morals are extremely questionable to say the least, and that is why I think songs aren't to blame for people's behaviour. Its the people that demand to hear songs that reflect their way of life.

5. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

I only listen to hymns. Satan is the god of this world and I believe he controls entertainment, specifically music. Many artists have openly admitted to selling out to satan. It's all going downhill in moral depravity. It's so that the youth will listen to this stuff and be influenced by it.

6. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

A lot of the hit music today is sexual in nature. The dance moves are very provocative. The lyrics are sinful and a lot of times very repetitive. I don't like listening to it but people at work do play in our their computers so I have no choice but to hear it. It just makes my skin crawl listening to. I prefer Christian music and there are a few country artist that have some good listening music with deep meaning.

7. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

My pet peeve in today's music, be it secular or ccm or some southern gospel is two fold: I hate the guys groaning out the music. Sounds like they are in childbirth, just hate it hate it. And I hate both the guys and gals with the breathy singing. Good vocal coach could cure that. Absolutely detest it.

Methinks it got its start in secular music, supposed to sound very sexy, like some sort of physical encounter I guess, but it just sounds so silly. Sing or shut up, please, but don't groan out the song or deep breathy breathe it.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Yes. One thing I can't stand about CCM is the overwrought, emotional, breathy singing. Syllables are drawn out with a breathy upift on the end. It's like the singers are straining to make their voices more relevant. It turns out to be melodramatic and overwrought.

9. StFrancis

StFrancis Member

I like listening to underground hip hop. What makes me like it its the messages that the songs have. I do not listen to a song because of its beats. I do not also listen to any song because the song is popular.

10. Heda

Heda New Member

I usually listen to Christian songs and I love them!! I listen also to non-Christian songs but I always make sure he lyrics are appropriate and not rude, about sex or anything like that! I guess there are more Christian-inappropriate songs than the appropriate ones but it's up to everybody what they choose to listen to. If most of the world was Christian, the list of top sons would be totally different I guess..but since there is not so many of us, the list looks like this..:/

• Like Like x 1
  11. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when is Taylor Swift country?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

Surprisingly, I don't have much of a problem with today's music. There are so many songs in this world that it's easy to find someone that is producing music that I enjoy. There's something out there for everyone nowadays. I think the best way to avoid music like you mentioned is to just stay away from it. I like to find music I like, load it into my phone, and I'm good to go. I can understand not appreciating the lyrics in today's music. Some of it is terrible, but it's mostly coming from "top 40s" radio.

14. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you'll get no disagreement from me. I listen to all kinds of music. I was just surprised to find that with all the variety and the number of topics that could be covered, the top 20s are only focussed on a few subjects.

15. ApollotheBrave

I think it won't bother me if the music is about sex and relationships but only if the musician puts it in a classy and sensual way. I also hate groaning and badmouthing in music that's why I rarely enjoy rap these days. Mainstream music is fine and good just choose the ones you like and ignore the others.

16. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, yes, it's not mentioning sex and stuff that's wrong. It's how it's talked about.
    I mainly just don't see the point in songs with lyrics like "my anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun". (TMI?) Not every song has to be Christian in order to be enjoyable, as there is a lot you can cover in music just as there is a lot you can paint without always needing to paint a scene from the Bible or something. But lyrics like the one I quoted I do have a problem with.