1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Todd Dodge to University of North Texas

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jimmy C, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Most of you are saying so what! Dodge has been the coach of the southlake dragons for the past several years, his record there is something like 77 wins and one loss - the one loss was in the 5A championship game to Katy by one point two years ago. His program is one of the most remarkable programs in Texas High School football in the history of Texas High School football!

I dont know how long UNT will be able to hang onto him, but UNT now has a chance to be a Boise State type of team. Dodge is an offensive genius and has great contacts within Texas high schools - look for UNT to be able to recruit players that they couldnt touch in the past.

watch out for the Mean Green! Yes, Mean Joe Green attended college at UNT (then known as North Texas State)

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

With the apparent success of Gus Malzahn as Ark OC, expect to see more HS coaches jumping to the major college ranks without having to go to a NAIA or div II or III school first.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Didn't he play at Texas?

4. quidam65

quidam65 Member

Yes he used to be the QB at Texas.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Southlake Carroll now that he's not the coach. Though his kid will be starting QB next year.

(For the benefit of those not familiar with the DFW area, Southlake is one of the wealthier suburbs.)

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Wow he left with his son going to be a senior?

6. quidam65

quidam65 Member

That's right. But Denton (where UNT is) isn't that far away (about 20 miles north) so its not like Riley Dodge (his son) will have to transfer. The family can still live in Southlake and Todd Dodge can work in Denton.

7. PastorSBC1303

Thats fine. My thing would be that I would want to be able to coach my son in his final year of HS. That would be more important than a job at North Texas, and I am sure there would be other jobs down the line.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

He should win state this week with his son at starting qb and nate newton's son tre at runningback - hard to believe the big lineman for the cowboys has a son who is one of the best rbs in the state. guess he thought the time was right for the move

Look for Riley to wind up as Todd's qb at unt in a couple of years the southlake offense should be fully installed by then, and riley will be able to step right in and take off.

9. PastorSBC1303

I guess so, I just don't agree with it....but I am sure my opinion don't matter at all. I wish him and his team well.

10. quidam65

quidam65 Member

On the other hand, Riley may do well learning one year under another coach. The more knowledge he gains the better prospect he will be.

There's no guarantee that he will go to UNT or that Dodge will be there the entire time. And in the event Riley does end up in the pros he most likely will have several head coaches in his career. So learning to adjust to new ways of thinking, while not necessarily good in studying Scripture (some of those new ways are dangerous), will help in sports.

11. PastorSBC1303

If I as a Father had a chance to coach my son in his senior year of High School that would trump any other offer. But I guess I do not think like most others.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The great Todd Dodge and his Southlake Carroll Dragons won the state championship, finished 2nd in the nation in HS Football (according to USA Today), they were first last year. He went 89 and 1 - the only game he lost at SL Carroll was the state championship to Katy, TX a couple years ago - and that by one point. His record as a HS coach in TX is truly amazing. I would love to see him take his mid major team, UNT to the heights acheived by Boise State this year. We will see if his coaching abilities in HS translate to the next level. There is a good chance that the starting QB at the UNT will be Riley Dodge in two years.

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UNT is in the Sun Belt conference which is actually below Boise State and the WAC. No major TV deal means no major money, tough to compete in Texas without the green (get it "the green"). Recruiting will be extra tough, there are 10 Division 1 schools in Texas and you can bet North Texas is not any higher then 9. And that's not even counting OU, Arkansas and LSU coming into Texas just to name a few. But if you can somehow get some Jr. College kids, which Texas has a bunch of, find a hidden gem or two, he might do OK.

The last big name high school coach to go to the college ranks in Texas that I can remember was a fella named Mike Leach, he seems to be doing fine! But Tech and North Texas are not anywhere close to being on the same level.

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of note, he had the chance to leave before now, but stayed to coach his son, which he has done for two years now, he was on the varsity squad as a sophomore. Back to back to back state championships, with your son; an undeafeated season; place to go without having to move your family and you can bet a boat load of money more then a high school head football coach gets in Texas...seems like me it is the perfect time to go.

15. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

No doubt that the sun belt conf will be tough to recruit for, but Dodge ran the most popular summer program in the state, all of the top recruits came through there and love him. If you are an offensive minded kid, you will at least give Dodge a chance. I personally see this as a spring board to tu when Mac Brown decides to move on. Just watching my aggies get smashed by cal - perhaps it will be the aggies next for Dodge after a couple years at UNT!