1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tom Brady

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bro. Curtis, May 11, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What he said.

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I agree that there was no statement about overt guilt on Brady's part, but I'm also curious on this:

How did the cheaters (those who deflated the balls) no what pressure to deflate them to without someone who uses them regularly (like Brady) telling them?

That's the one that gets me...Brady had to tell them at some point what pressure to deflate them to...

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Brady did not have to tell them.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know after sleeping on this I felt as a Christian "convicted" no pun intended!... Then I realized that only those who did it or had knowledge of it knew... And God!... I let God judge not me!... As we all know he will judge in his time not mine... Brother Glen

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

So how did they determine what pressure felt best for him and the offense?

Please note, I'm not trying to say anyone in particular is guilty...it just strikes me funny that these guys just happened to guess the pressure Brady prefers.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are so many other factors and variables. Primarily the regulations on how much air needs to be in the balls. To much deflation would be more easily noticed.

7. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the penalties seem excessive to me, but it was on the table to suspend Brady for an entire season, not for just four games. That is the only part of the punishment I expect to be reduced, probably down to two games.

I don't think the other punishments can be amended on appeal. The loss of the first round draft pick isn't that big a deal to a team like the Patriots - Brady himself was a fifth round pick from what I remember. They groom well.

The million dollar fine is a joke, and so is the gofundme account to help the Patriots pay for it. Their owner is a billionaire.:tongue3:

Those tweets between Brady and the staff were pretty incriminating but the fine on the books for this kind of thing is 25k. And Belicheat skates again, as do all the other people involved in this besides Brady. Goodall ought to have given Brady the same two game suspension he gave to the guy for assaulting that woman.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, pretty much this. Also doubt that Brady will take it to court because that would open him up to a more thorough investigation, i.e. would probably have to hand over cellphone, they would subpoena the two guys that were recently suspended and if the text messages I read were any indicator, they won't be there to assist Brady in any way. I'm guessing a two game reduction and things will move on.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Let's see not one NFL official uses the same gauges, some use dials, some use digital, some us type that has a measuring rod that comes out and not one is calibrated to ensure it reads the pressure right. Next the Colts supply balls that very easily were not exposed to the weather and came out of the ball bags. They were the balls used for the control test of said uncalibrated gauges.

Next the text messages, Brady checking on the equipment who BTW received an indefinite suspension. Second Brady wouldn't turn over his "PERSONAL" cell phone to them so they label him uncooperative, if you were asked to turn your cell phone over to the pastor on a given Sunday would you?

Next they still have very little tangible evidence that anything occurred since the gauge was not calibrated and the control balls are suspect.

Now couple that with the league rule which states tampering with a football is a $25,000 fine. You tell me is it a fair punishment?

10. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it possible that the coach and Tom knew about the footballs being under inflated and played with them anyways?

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Is it possible the league was looking to blame somebody because of their ineptness and lack of checks and balances on this issue.

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe anyone who's played football knows an underinflated ball won't fly as far or as true as a properly-inflated one, especially when it's kicked. And receivers have all kindsa techniques, methods, & equipment to help them hold onto a pass.

I believe that if a close investigation had been made of every pro football dynasty team, there'da been some questionable, rule-bending practices uncovered. With the amounta $$ involved, teams are gonna be looking for every and any little advantage they can get away with.

As for baseball, how often do we see a MLB pitcher going to his mouth with his pitching hand between pitches, or when receiving a new ball, and the umps saying nothing?

As a former amateur pitcher, I almost-always went to a rosin bag or pine tar cloth to help me grip the ball better. That's a lot different from deliberately smearing a substance onto a ball so it drops sharply about a yard from the hitter.

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Not to hijack, but pitchers are only allowed to use their tongue to fingers while off the mound...if they do it on the mound, it's a balk.

QB's and centers are only players who touch the football every play. They'd notice differences in deflated and inflated footballs...

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rule is the pitcher must be at least 18" from the rubber and the penalty for breaking the rule is a ball, not a balk.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Wellllll....I stand corrected. :thumbsup: