1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tom Glavine wins No. 300

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Aug 6, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I never like to see the Cubs lose, but I was glad to see Glavine get 300. It was nice to see the fans at Wrigley giving him such a loud cheer too.

There is talk that Glavine could possibly be the last ever 300 game winner.

Thoughts?

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think it will be tougher and tougher to make it to 300. It will have to be a guy who pitches for good teams pretty much his whole career, stays healthy and can pitch into the 7th and 8th innings consistently. Glavine will be the last 300 winner for a long while.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Possibly, but with so many pitchers staying in the game into their 40s, I could see somebody get 300 again.

Mussina is at 246 and is 38. If he should pitch for 4 more years and average 14 wins a year, he could get to 300.

Please don't ask me for another example. :smilewinkgrin:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I wish Smoltz would've not a year to injuries and not spent 3 1/2 years as a closer...I think he would have reached it.

Randy Johnson is 16 away, but even if he does come back next year (after another back surgery) I can't imagine him getting 16 more wins.

I echo andy's thoughts.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Probably not. Someone else will surely reach 300, although I don't know who it might be.

"Conventional baseball wisdom", in the past, said that Walter Johnson would never be topped in K(s) (Actually three did it in the same year) (Wrong!);
    First Babe Ruth, then Hank Aaron would never be surpassed in HRs (Wrong!, Granted I'm assuming that Barry Steroid, 'er I mean Barry Bonds will hit at least one more);
    that Ty Cobb's hit total would never be reached (Wrong!);
    that Lou Gehrig's "Iron Man" string of games would never be equalled (Wrong!);
    that CY Young's 511 career wins would not be equalled (Probably right on this one);
    and that Joe D.s 56 game hitting streak would stand forever, as well (So far, correct!).

"Conventional baseball wisdom", here bats exactly .333, as of 2007 in this. Not bad for a hitter, but lousy for a fielder! (Make him a DH!)

And all the above happened in my (baseball) 'lifetime' of 45 years, or so.

What about 2008?

That's what makes baseball so interesting - next year!

Ed

#5 EdSutton, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well said, all. As Winston Churchill once said, "I have nothing more to say about this that is either relevant or true. " :laugh:

7. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Last Ever?

Last ever?

No.

Last for quite a long time?

You bet.

If a few things break the right way, Clemens could get to 400. I don't think he will, he's too old - but he's the first guy with even an outside shot in years.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Something that really irks me.

I've heard it more than once since Glavine got win 300:

"He just punched his ticket to Cooperstown."
    "With tonight's win, he becomes a Hall of Famer."
    "Glavine seals his spot in Cooperstown."

It was in doubt before then? If you think that's just hyperbole, look at some folks who fall just short of the mythical lines. I won't repeat them here (too many to name). Some have asked about automatic numbers for the HOF? Heck, the BBWA has already artificially or passive-aggresively created them. And it's hurting the HOF.

Anyway, just had to get that off of my chest. Glavine is as much of a HOFer in my eyes the day before he got win 300 as he is today.