1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tom Nettles on Why a Church Should Get a Calvinist Pastor

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello all,

There is no doubt by most that know me here that I hold to Particular Redemption and Reformed doctrines. I just ran across this article my my good friend and colleague Dr. Tom Nettles of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary on "What a Church Should Get a Calvinist Pastor. I will forego all of the ideas of Presbyterian form of government and baptizing babies. Read the article and then get back to me with your comments, OK?

Churches, Get a Calvinist Pastor!

Enjoy!

rd

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These beliefs are often held by non-Calvinist ministers.

Moreover, he asserts confidence that a Baptist "Calvinist" will certainly hold these views, when, in my experience with more than a half dozen Baptist Calvinists, only a two of them hold to all eight of these points. The most common point of deviation is the traditional Baptist understanding of religious liberty held by the historical figures referenced in the article (Roger Williams, Obadiah Holmes, John Clarke, and John Leland).

Since my congregation has varying viewpoints on the subject (and I am not personally a Calvinist for scriptural reasons), I see no point advocating for a Calvinist pastor.