1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tomb of a Jesus found 30 years ago being "discovered"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Feb 27, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    March 4 will air a "documentary" on a tomb found 30 years ago and discredited by the Jersusalem Antiquities study group as a likely fraud and by the researcher who found it as "very unlikely to be the Biblical Jesus" will be "hailed" as the tomb of the real Jesus.

Larry King interviews guests on both sides of the issue - addressing those who want to spin this around as the "historic Jesus" as those who accept objective facts and introducing those who highlight the inconvenient details associated with the ossuaries when it comes to trying to build a case for the Biblical Jesus as "not wanting to hear any facts at all on the subject".

The question is - Given the Da Vinci Code and the 'fiction-as-fact' 2004 election-year "mocumentaries" how can hype and spin replace reason when it comes to discrediting Christianity?

Or -- did Al Gore really invent the internet while Christians were asleep?

#1 BobRyan, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
  2. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh-oh, Larry King. That'll be one tough interview.

Ya, this latest Hollywood film, it's already being slapped around, as it should be:

http://www.livescience.com/history/070226_ap_jesus_film.html

Even the Discovery Channel has a problem with this film, on another board they are saying this is the work of Satan. Could be.

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

…so a box was found a few years back inscribed ‘brother of Jesus’ and the critics were quick to brush it off as a fraud, which probably was and now we have yet another box, which sat around since 1980 (I believe), which no one can agree on what the inscription really says, and even if it’s a fraud, and we see the critics are quick to hail this as a great discovery.

In any even, both the critics and Christian writers will profit from book sales, TV documentaries, each one debunking the other’s proof…”show me the money” while both sides are laughing all the way to the bank…

4. Dustin

Dustin New Member

It's just the product of the spirit of this age. I'm really not suprised at this at all, it's been going on for 2000 or so years. Even on the day of the ressurection the Pharisees told the guards to tell the people that the diciples stole Christ's body. When it comes to things like this, I remember Habbakuk 2:4 ...but the just shall live by his faith. The simple fact is no one will ever find the bones of Jesus Christ, because he's not dead, but alive in heaven at the right hand of the Father.

What's the call of the Gospel? Believe. Believe that Christ is the Son of God, that He lived a perfect life, was scourged, beaten and crucified as a criminal on a cross , took OUR punishment for OUR sins, and buried and on the third day rose and acscended into heaven. Believe. It's going to shake faith of many, and I must honestly admit, it shook me a little at first. In fact it might destroy the faith of some, but the only reasonable thing to do is to trust in the Lord. This just makes me think of what an awesome gift faith is, if my faith were of myself, then it would surely fail. But it is in the hands of God Almighty, blessed be His name forever.

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

I serve a living Savior.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

5. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

I e-mailed the good people at tektonics.org about this "find". James Holding of that site responded as follows:

It is good to have answers like that for those who will be duped into buying into all of this, although it shouldn't be unnecessary. I mean, if first century enemies of Christianity who were there when Jesus died couldn't produce a body, what on EARTH makes them think that the body they found is Jesus', other than the desire to believe it?

Michael

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Some of you may remember, years ago, when ankle bones were dug up in Israel, found nailed to wood. Right away the media made statements like "Could this be Jesus?" If memory serves this was back in the days of B&W TV. The beat goes one.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From the LiveScience link -

Also the cost and location arguments from James Holding appear to be strong.

But the main argument they are making is that "identification" via firstname, mother's name, father's name and 3 brothers even if most of them are common names is close to something accurate.

The problem is they merely "insert" James into the list of names authentically found when everyone agrees it is not an authentic claim.

The other problem is that it is unclear that all these identifiers are found on the box containing the name of "Jesus".

One option is that whoever was collecting the boxes for the cave may have known something of the story of Jesus and may have been trying to collect names that would match - perhaps family memebers since all of them are so common.

But here is the real problem in my view - the JEWS went along with the story that Jesus' body could not be found. If Christ and all of his family were being buried in a well marked site over decades of time surely "some Jew" would have noticed. The disciples were telling a story that was instantly made void by such a find and the Jews had every reason to want to do it.

In Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point is that a well marked ossuary used over a period of decades for all family and friends of Christ that starts off with the bones of Jesus in 31 AD - would have been the perfect "data" for Jews to discount Christian claims of the resurrection in the first century IF they had had it!

Clearly they did not.

In Christ,

bob