1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tommy Bowden out at Clemson?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Paladin, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Just read on www.rivals.com that Tommy Bowden was fired at Clemson and Dab Swinney was named Interim Coach.

Can any Clemson fans confirm this?

Also, could be the start of a coaching carousel.

WAR EAGLE!

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Not a Clemson fan, but here's a link to the story.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Watch out for Boise St.'s coach Chris Peterson, Cincinnati's Brian Kelly, USF's Jim Leavitt. Those guys are at the top of everyone's wish list. And for some reason Bill Cowher gets mentioned for every southern coaching vacancy (Or possible one). And I'll throw out a possible name: Tommy Tuberville. Auburn has not treated him the way he feels he should be treated. He might be willing to make a move if someone throws enough money at him. But it would be a long shot.

#3 TomVols, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I liked Tommy, but I can see them turning him lose, but I would have thought it would have been at the end of the year. I believe they gave him everything he asked for. He just didn't get done what they wanted and he said he could do and when that happens you must go.

Off the top of my head, Tommy was their longer than most of their coaches. I believe Frank Howard was their for about 30 years and Danny Ford for 10 or 11 years. It is a hard place for coaches. The fans in my mind think they are a top level football program, so they aren't happy a lot of the time.

With their track record, if I was a coach, I don't know if I would go there. Auburn and Clemson are a lot a like, their fan want nothing but number one. At both schools you have to keep the big boys happy to keep your job. I don't think Auburn will ever be happy with Tommy Tuberville and I don't know who will make Clemson happy.

#4 Bob Alkire, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2008
  5. Paladin

Paladin New Member

If Tuberville does not get Auburn's offience straightened out this season, he could find himself available for the Clemson position. Auburn has five games remaining and only one is a lock (UT-Martin). Have WVU, Ole Miss and Alabama on the road and Georgia at home. A 5-7 record will not sit well with the PTB.

The mess called the Auburn offense rest entirely on Tuberville's shoulders and not certain the has the talent available to win 3 of the last 5 games. Gonna be an interesting 2 months at the Loveliest Village on the Plains.

WAR EAGLE!