1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tony Alamo -Freedom of Religion

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread Candy stated "That is the argument... file those papers and put yourself under the authority of the state, so that the state laws protect you from lawsuits.

Until the lawmakers change the laws and if you don't comply, or compromise your beliefs to comply so you are in line with the state, then those laws condemn you.

When go to a secular court and argue you are a church, the judge can look you in the eye and legally say, "no, you are a corporation of the state and governed by state law."

You stated that you should not compromise your beliefs - even if the govt requires you to do so.

So would you agree that Tony Alamo never should have been arrested and sent to prison?
    Tony stated that the Bible backs up his doctrine.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Are saying that if a pastor is a child mol*ster, but doesn't incorporate with the state that I don't think they should be arrested?

If that is what you are saying, then that's a silly straw man argument.

We are biblically obligated to obey all laws not in conflict with scripture, imho. The question is what's the argument for those laws in conflict with scripture?

My argument is that if a church incorporates they can be seen legally in a secular court as a corporation, rather than a church. Any legal protection granted by the U.S. Constitution establishment clause can demininished by this argument.

We have seen the relentless attack on Christians and Christianity in this country. We know the opponents will use every argument possible.

Peace to you.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inc has NOTHING to do with the Tony Alamno discussion

The point is how much authority does the State have over a church, whether it is inc or not
    Obliviously the Tony Alamo example is facetious

So lets take some issues that could be very real.
    1) multiple wives - as happened in the OT
    2) A church believes in divine healing - so should they be required to have handicap parking.
    3) A church believes in handling snakes -
    4) A church gives sanctuary to lawbreakers (illegal aliens, undocumented bank withdraws,ect)

Remember, freedom of religion has limits, just like freedom of speech.

but who determines if a law is in conflict with Scripture. Each of the four examples I gave above could be interrupted as such thru Scripture

yes they can and as a Corp they are a "legal person"

If not INC - then a person would sue the pastor, and/or deacons, trustees and other church leaders.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you know, anyone can sue the pastor and/or deacons etc.. The question is whether there is any real "protection" if a church incorporates and does incorporation actually give adversaries of The Faith a legal argument to pursue a church in secular court as a secular entity, i.e. a corporation.

Religious freedom is not absolute in the U.S., I agree. We don't allow animal sacrifices, stoning or other punishment. The limit of "punishment" for violating church policy is disfellowship.