1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are Christians

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It's great to see that the two classiest and best tempered coaches in the NFL are also Christians.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Down here in Bucanneer land, Dungy is still thought well of. He still lives down here and contributes to the community thru his work with fathers.

4. A&I

A&I New Member

Coach

Our new head coach ( Steelers ) I believe is a christian also .I remember when Dungy played and coached here in Pitts. He was and still is a great guy . I didn;t know Lovie Smith was thats great news . This Super Bowl I don;t know who I would like to see win .

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

It is a great story, and nice to see 2 really good guys succeed.

6. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I was suprised to find out Stephen Colbert from Comedy Central was a Christian, well a Roman Catholic, but he sure did call out that athiest Dawkins guy on his show.

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do they really believe?

I just wish that the media would tell us what they actually believe. Many African-Americans in Indianapolis, if not most, believe that Jesus is a black African and that all Jews are black Africans. It sounds like an echo of Anglo-Israelism except that the race is black instead of white. I have to take this news about Dungy and Smith with a grain of salt. The NFL has forced Indianapolis to tear down a hundred million dollar stadium after 23 years and build an even more expensive one by raising taxes. I think that we are being hoodwinked on this issue since we don't know actually what these men believe.

#8 church mouse guy, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  9. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I just found out that Smith was a Christian by reading the espn.com article, but many people have known for years that Dungy is a devout Christian. I have never read anything that would lead me to believe that he believes Jesus was a black African. :)

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need more information than the press gives.

There just is no clarification on the issue of what doctrines these men believe. I think that most African-American churches and denominations imply that Jesus is a black African by putting artistic works of Biblical history in their Sunday School materials that reveal this ethnocentrism. They are beyond criticism in the media, which is theologically illiterate. I think that we need to know the answer to this question before we can say that we are dealing with orthodox historic Christianity, which, as you know, has never taught that Jews were black Africans but has taught that Abraham came from Ur of Caldes in what is now modernday Iraq, making Jews non-black Africans who came from the orient. Israel is considered an oriental nation.

These doctrinal differences account for the split between African-American denominations and white denominations. By the way, we heard the same statements from Jim Irsay, the owner of the Colts, that God deserved the glory for the AFC championship win over New England but he has not gotten the press for being a Christian owner. Here again, we do not know his doctrine.

Some whites in the USA and England and the British Empire have claimed that Anglo-Saxons are the true lost ten tribes of Israel and that the King of England is the true King of the Jews. In the doctrine of Anglo-Israelism, as promoted by Herbert Armstrong among others, we can see white racism at work. Can't we see black racism at work in the doctrine that Jews are black Africans?

#10 church mouse guy, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  11. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    what logic! :BangHead:
    Tony Dungy is in Indanapolis
    Tony Dungy is a Christian
    Some Christians in Indianapolis believe that Jesus was a blacki man
    Therefore, we ought to question what he believes... :BangHead: :BangHead:

This thread is about sports and 2 Christian brothers... takie your racism elsewhere.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if you say that you are a Christian, I have to believe you and cannot question just exactly what you beliefs are whatsoever. That is a good definition of racism on your part. What don't we just agree that the media has not given us enough information to form an intelligent opinion. The real issue here is media hype in favor of the NFL so that money can be made in hotels, restaurants, television, and sports bric-a-brac. Now the media, totally ignorant on theology and liberal to the core, has told us that they consider a couple of their favorites hard-shell Fundamentalists and you must lock step believe them? Where is the evidence?

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Dungy was a Christian before he came to Indy.

14. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually what I am saying is that you wouldn't assume that Joe Gibbs is a part of the Identity movement because he was once in Nascar and some who go to Nascar events are.

Actually the media hasn't given us any info. The first reference was from Baptist Press. Google Tony Dungy. See how many events for Billy Graham he has given his testimony at.

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter