1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tony Dungy style baseball coaching

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I am ultra competitive and can be a coach who screams and yells (no cussing). Like Dungy I am also a Christian and realize that I have to be careful not to hurt my testimony by getting "fired up" on the ball field.

I also do not want to be known as a Bobby Knight type coach. I am going to try to be more calm, positive, and supportive next season. My question is this, what happens the first time at practice I realize the intensity level is at zero and guys are throwing the ball around? Do I quietly says "step it up or we are going to run?"

I am proud of my competitive nature but think I need to tone it down some with the Lord's help. What do you guys think?

if (getCookie("HideSigs") != 1) {document.writeln('');}

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've coached off and on for many years. No amount of yelling in the world takes the place of solid instruction. Sometimes you may need to raise your voice for emphasis or to be heard over other competing noises. Not being at your practices/games, I can't praise or indict your "yelling." A lot depends on context. What league are you in? What age group? You obviously coach one way in a city league Big League baseball team and another way in an Upward Basketball team of 9 year olds.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've never coached, so take what I write with a huge grain of salt.

You mentioned Tony Dungy in the OP. Have you read his new book, Quiet Strength? I haven't, but here's a quote from somebody who has.

"It dispelled so many myths about the coaching business -- that you had to be a yeller and a screamer to win. You can be your own person, treat people with respect, be very demanding but demanding in a way that doesn't trample on people. And you don't have to give up your faith to win in the NFL."

I'm guessing the above thought applies to more leagues than just the NFL.