1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tony Dungy to Stay with Colts

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 21, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Good to see him sticking around at least one more year.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

class guy, w a great team. He and Manning should go out together

3. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I wish he'd come coach my team!

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star has wrote a very interesting piece. Read it here. What do you think?

5. PastorSBC1303

Personally, I do not think it is any of Kravitz's business what Dungy and his family decide to do.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Kravitz said the exact same thing.

7. PastorSBC1303

If he really believed that there would be no need for such an article. There would be no need to call the man a hypocrite.

What purpose does this article serve other than to stir up unneeded trouble for Dungy and his family?

8. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Kravitz have no rights for being criticize or judge Dungy's decision. He must respect Dungy's decision and his family. I like Tony Dungy. I am happy that he is a born again Christian. I do happy that he is staying with Colts for another year. I understand how difficult decisions for him to make. I respect him. I am sure that his family do support him 100% no matter what.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Interesting answers.

10. PastorSBC1303

What are your thoughts on it ccr?

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I suspect that Kravitz doesn't like Dungy's Christian witness and his values, so he is using this is an opportunity to smear Dungy as a hypocrite. I say hogwash - we don't know everything that went into the decision, nor should we.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I don't believe that for a second.

I asked my wife about this. She knows next to nothing about sports, football or Tony Dungy. When I explained to her that there was a football coach who has gone out of his way to preach that men ought to be fathers first, and take care of their families first, but decided to stay and coach a team in a city that's several hundred miles away from where his family moved to, and that this coach didn't have to coach anymore if he didn't want to, her response was simple. "Practice what you preach."

I don't see why Kravitz is wrong to question Dungy about this. On the surface, this decision to stay in Indy while his family moves to Tampa appears to go against everything he says that others should do. Certainly, he's not obligated to explain his decision to anybody, but if you're going to preach one thing and then do something that seems to be the exact opposite, then I don't see how that doesn't look hypocritical.

Maybe it isn't. Maybe he's worked it out so that he spends as much time at home next season as he did this last season. Apparently, Irsay is willing to spend the money so that Tony can go back and forth between Tampa and Indy, so maybe that makes this a complete non-issue.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

You went against your point here. It appears that the Colts will work with Tony to have some work-life balance - i.e., to travel inbetween cities. We don't know all that is involved or will be involved with Dungy's family life. Maybe it is a poor decision. Who knows? But I can't sit here and say that every man who works remotely from his family for an extended period of time is not putting his family first. Can you? It's not my cup of tea - I would hate such an arrangement, but I can't sit here and say that everyone else who has a work arrangement like this is wrong.

I still suspect that Kravitz doesn't like Dungy's Christian witness, thus he is gleeful to point out any supposed hypocrisy.

14. PastorSBC1303

To me the bottom line here is no one, including Kravitz, knows all the details of what is taking place. I believe from all I have read and witnessed about Dungy and his life and Christian witness we should assume he is being sincere and has everything worked out to keep his priorities in line and to "practice what he preaches."

For Kravitz or anyone else to assume he is being hypocritcal without all the details is not right IMO.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm glad he's coming back. I'm reading his biography now, and he is a class act.

Having said that, I'm still mad at him for not playing to win against San Diego :)

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yes, I know, but only to the point where I said that maybe what Irsay and Dungy worked out is what makes this a non-issue.

#16 ccrobinson, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008