1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Too elderly to be an elder?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are elders one kind of church officer, all currently serving church officers, or something more?
    Are faithful older brethren, e.g., retired pastors and missionaries, elderly former deacons, etc., to be considered among the elders of the church?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Jerome--

I guess that would depend upon what your particular church considers to be an "elder."

Most Baptist churches with which I'm familiar consider an "elder" to be in some sort of pastoral position (either officially or unofficially). IOW, especially if it were a somewhat large church, if there is more than one pastor (e.g., an assistant pastor, youth pastor, etc.), those men might be, in a sense, considered as "elders."

Certainly I would consider such folks as you referred to in your OP for positions in a church. What better person to have to be "in charge" of your missions program than a retired missionary? What better person to have "in charge" of your SS program than an "elder" who was a retired pastor, etc.?

Now, I'm not saying that experience should be the only qualification in seeking a person for some leadership position in your church; but all else being equal, a person who has had some first-hand experience in dealing with the duties and responsibilities of a given position would most likely be a more effective leader than someone who had absolutely no experience whatsoever.

Again, there are other factors to consider (especially "spiritual factors"), but IMO having experience would certainly be a plus.