1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Too new to understand.

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by SRBooe, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The Bible I use is called an ESV. They are available at Christian bookstores everywhere as well as on-line.

Attack? You haven't seen any attacks from me- I only quoted Scripture. If you feel attacked, then it is either the Holy Spirit or just gas.:smilewinkgrin:

2. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

I believe you will see that I said "attacking each other's beliefs." I hope you are just trying to be funny, right?

Your versions says: 23These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

The Bible in Basic English says: 23 These things seem to have a sort of wisdom in self-ordered worship and making little of oneself, and being cruel to the body, not honouring it by giving it its natural use.

King James Version says: 23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Neither one of those other two verses says what you say:

"But keeping them does not make us righteous nor do they keep us from sinning."

I submit that your interpretation is merely that - your interpretation. Avoiding temptation does indeed help people avoid sin. That is common sense.

By the way, the whole book of the Bible was written for a purpose, but it was not to chastise conservative churches who do NOT MAKE ORDINANCES, but follow their own strategies to avoid sin. The only flaw in a conservative church to be wary of is IF they tell the congregation that the Bible says things that it does not say.

So, at this point, I'd say thank you for showing me why I don't need to buy an ESV Bible. You and I shall disagree, and I pray that God blesses your day.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Interpretations are like belly buttons- and turkeys. Have a great Thanksgiving.