1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Took me a minute to think about it

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was at the State Fair yesterday. I stopped at a booth in the Grange building. I was admiring the craftsmanship of an exhibitor of items she was selling. I saw one item in particular - is was CSA flag- I asked here if anyone had complained about it. She said no one had better complained about that flag- as it stood for states rights, ect. I agreed with with everything she said. I then mentioned that some 20 years ago there was a radio station that broadcasted out of the Grange building. She told me they weren't allowed there anymore because on of the DJ said he did not want wheel chairs at the State Fair. As we walked out, I told my wife I was DJ. (evidently the woman did not recognize me)
    My wife was surprised I would say such a thing. I asked her if she wanted to hear the rest of the story.
    You see, what I was talking about was those in wheelchairs who think that all others must yield to them-"so what if my wheelchair is your way - I am handicap" and other attitudes such as that.
    For the record, I am glad there are provisions made for the handicap - however any action can go to the extreme.

After a few minutes, I realized something - this woman was offended at what I (supposedly) said, and demanded action (no longer allowed to broadcast in the Grange), however, she had no tolerance for someone who might be offended at her Confederate flags.

Thoughts?

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have no problem with a Confederate flag, that is simply an antique. I wouldn't have a problem if someone was selling Hitler's personal handgun for the same reason. It is a piece of history and that is what makes it valuable.

I have mixed feelings about the handicapped. I did not enjoy seeing the handicapped fellow who competed in track events at the Olympics. Now, I thought it was wonderful for the fellow that competed, and I understand how he was trying to show that the handicapped should be treated as normal people. I get that.

The problem is, this is not quite fair to the non-handicapped persons. I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. Some claimed these artificial limbs gave this fellow extra spring. They spoke of this during the show and guaranteed it gave him no advantage. But what about the next Olympics? The Olympics are so competitive that it is not difficult to believe they would design artificial limbs that would give runners a big advantage in the future. So, I don't like this idea.

And you can't make everything accessible for the handicapped. When you go to the fair, they do not let some persons ride certain rides unless they are a certain height for safety reasons. Should they design these rides so they can take a wheelchair on board? I don't think so.

I mean, pretty soon they are going to send a handicapped person into space just to be nice. I understand the concept, but I think it would be dangerous to do so.

It would be like short men demanding that the NBA hire a certain amount of men under 5'6" tall. You just can't accommodate everyone simply to be nice.

#2 Winman, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was checking some old threads and found this. Any new thoughts ?

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I find it rather ridiculous to think these things aren't already built in when making things accessible to humans. Why leave a segment of humans out? What if they made all doorways only 5 feet high or made entrance only x inches wide and just told you to accept your limitations, nobody wants to see or hear you complain, it's your lot in life? LOL That's just silly.