1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Top 100 Christian Leaders in America

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Zenas, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you met him once and pronounced judgment?

Understand that people who deal with lots of people, as MacArthur surely does, are going to have a public persona and a private persona. How he deals with people he meets in fleeting encounters is not a good basis for judging someone. I have heard numerous testimonies from people who are actually friends of his, who actually have gotten to know him.

Just me, but I think this a little harsh.

And you make a good point, seeing that he is a great teacher. But, he will tell you himself that his abilities are the result of, not a gift, but hard work. His messages are crafted through hard work, something he has pointed out numerous times in numerous messages. And I think most of us can benefit from that example. There is, I believe, a discernment the Word of God provides all of us.

But, that's just the norm, if you acquire any manner of celebrity, which he has to some extent, you are going to be a target of those opposed to your views. And MacArthur, lol, sets himself in front of the bulls eye often with controversial teaching. But I am glad he does. Someone has to address certain issues.

God bless.

2. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love RC Sproul. When it comes to dealing with atheists, it is to RC I direct them, because he is a teacher that examples a logical approach to everything. Every time I listen to him teaching I feel like I'm back at school sitting at a desk, lol.

God bless.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has he convinced you yet to be a Presbyterian & forgo your faulty Baptist ways? :laugh:

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't advocate or defend a position that "I am a Baptist." I do think that people will be better off attending a Baptist Church, because doctrinally I think that is the closest we are going to get to a sound doctrinal view.

To ridicule Presbyterians is to ridicule a group that has had some great Christian leaders who stood strong on the Word of God. Men like Donald Gray Barnhouse, or D. James Kennedy, for example. And I am sure, if one looked, that one could find a Presbyterian Church with a leader like one of those men.

Or, one could simply drop out.

Me, if I were faced with having to attend a fellowship that didn't believe exactly as I do, or everyone didn't meet the standard presented in Scripture, why I...

...oh wait, I already do that.

And I consider myself one of those people who don't meet the standard presented in Scripture.

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, and for the record, RC has said he has contemplated starting a new denomination.

And, also for the record, if I were living in Sandford Florida (I think that's where it is), I would without question be a member there.

God bless.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had 25 organizations compile a list no two would look the same.

I would like to know how they define "Christian leader"

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you clicked on the link in the op and read it you would find out.

8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would over 20 years of studying eschatology make me lacking?
    Even people in the same camp as Lehaye have tried to distance themselves from him since the Left Behind series has fallen from popularity.
    I think Lahaye may have been in the psychology/marriage book department years before Left Behind but that's all I know about him and again its all very dated so again it makes me wonder about how they cane up with the list and if the numbers actually mean anything.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you ever get to Disney, Sanford is about 45 minutes north. I was there last year and heard him preach, as close friends attend there. However, I understand his health is failing and he is not preaching as often these days. Technically, while he and all pastors are members of the PCA, the church is an independent, Reformed church. See website -- www.saintandrewsonline.org.

10. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Awesome...that's just what we all need. :laugh:

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

No, I have not met MacArthur but I have watched and listened to several of his sermons and I am yet to detect a scintilla of humility in him.

You said of him, "But, he will tell you himself that his abilities are the result of, not a gift, but hard work. His messages are crafted through hard work, something he has pointed out numerous times in numerous messages." Apparently he wants to take all the credit for his exceptional work, which it is. If he were a nitwit I would not oppose him.

However, I will concede that I would still like him if I agreed with him. His position on the ECT Document is one point of strong difference I have with him. Another is the more recent Manhattan Declaration, which he also refused to sign. It almost seems like he takes the position that if you don't agree with his view of the gospel he won't work with you. "Let the world go to hell in a hand basket but I am doctrinally correct in my position." (not his words but clearly his implications).

You also mentioned several points of disagreement with MacArthur and I agree with your position on all of these.

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I'm aware of that, but that's not my point. My point is that they put a singer who claims to be Christian but does nothing for the faith (except maybe bring reproach) while they leave off some of the men who have been the most influential Christians in recent American history.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I see your point but that doesn't seem to be the point of the list, which includes a number of Catholics and at least one Mormon. I'm sure they are highly influential among the people who follow what they say and do. That being said, I don't see how they included Richard Land and left out Al Mohler.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There are many names that should not be there particularly.

2. Joel Osteen, a Word of Faith heretic

18. Victoria Osteen, wife of Joel and also a heretic

And your problem with John MacArthur given some of the other people is puzzling!

15. OldRegular

Actually he was #102, right behind me!:thumbsup:

16. OldRegular

LaHaye certainly doesn't give "eschatological understanding" rather he causes eschatological confusion. His fictitious series "left Behind" were and are an abomination! But he made lots of money, money!

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Influence, OR, we're talking about who is the most influential, not who you wish had the most influence or who you think ought to have the most influence. I don't like the Osteens any more than you but they have the biggest TV audience of anyone in the Christian TV business. And if you go back and read my post you will see that I said John MacArthur ought to have a higher ranking even though I wish he weren't even on the list. I'm not a fan of John MacArthur but I recognize he has great influence.

18. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pronounced judgment? Really?? LOL. It's more like I observed his tinge of arrogance.

Looks like someone's a die-hard MacArthur fan. :smilewinkgrin:

19. OldRegular

It was talking about influential Christians!

The only thing wrong with John MacArthur is his dispensationalism!

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is probably do to...

It's natural to dislike those whose doctrine we are in conflict with.

But it is the mind of Christ to stand firm in doctrine without letting emotion get involved.

His point was in contrast to those who go to the other extreme, which is "God told me."

He is also very adept at teaching others how to study. There are basic principles we follow in study which some forego in favor of presenting their views as "God-given," whether they align with Scripture or not.

So what is the basis of the disagreement. Can you say that you can present a Biblical presentation for why you are right and he is wrong?

And does your denomination demand that you don't like him? Do the doctrinal position you take demand that he be rejected because of doctrinal difference?

Then we also would be in disagreement. I do not, for example, see that we can declare to the world that we are okay with core doctrinal issues being relegated to a category of indifference.

Your assessment of him having a "Let the world go to Hell in a hand-basket" cannot hardly be justified considering the effort he has gone through in seeking to avoid that very thing. You could consider him simply to be seeking to make money, but, again, that would be an uncharitable assumption on your part.

I don't know, I don't see it. I see someone who not only sincerely has a burden for the lost and for teaching people sound doctrine, but has fruit that evidences that love for the lost.

I don't think any of us are going to agree on everything, lol. These forums would be a boring place if that were the case, lol.

But that is why we come, isn't it? I am sure you are just as energized by discussing the Word of God as I am. I think there are believers who have been gifted in areas of the Word, and many on the forums are that very member of the Body of Christ. Of course we are going to disagree, and sometimes that disagreement is going to about issues which bring division, but, I am confident that the Word of God can settle these issues.

The question is just how honest are we going to be with God and His Word, with ourselves and others.

I am not saying everyone should embrace MacArthur's views, but, I do see that he has been a notable figure that has made an impact on Christians all over the world. I still say, despite denomination, a MacArthur Study Bible is one of the most valuable resources any Bible Student will ever own. It is not just about the doctrinal views presented, but it actually helps us learn to study in a manner that I feel is necessary, comparing Scripture with Scripture.

God bless.