1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top 12 Super Bowl Losers List

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Feb 7, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Are you tired of my lists yet? :wavey:

Here are my top 12 best teams to lose a Super Bowl. I did not include teams that lost in one year but also won a Super Bowl with essentially the same team in another year. Examples of this are the ’01 Rams who had won in ’99 and the ’68 Colts who won in ’70.

12) ’88 Bengals
    11) ’80 Eagles
    10) ’98 Falcons
    9) ’72 Redskins
    8) ’76 Vikings
    7) ’04 Eagles
    6) ’77 Broncos
    5) ’99 Titans
    4) ’67 Raiders
    3) ’69 Vikings
    2) ’90 Bills
    1) ’84 Dolphins

The 1984 Super Bowl (actually, it was the 1985 Super Bowl for the 1984 season) might have pitted the two best teams of any Super Bowl in history (except for maybe the 1978 Super Bowl with Pittsburgh v. Dallas). If the Dolphins would have won that Super Bowl, I think they would be ranked in the top 10 greatest teams of all-time by most pundits. Same thing with the ’90 Bills.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I find some things to disagree with here, which is the whole point, right? :smilewinkgrin:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't include a team that lost after winning, because they are different teams from year to year, especially in the free-agent, salary-cap era.

The '01 Rams were a different and better team, especially on defense, than the '99 edition that won the Super Bowl. It was inexcusable to let an inferior Patriots team beat them that year. The '01 Rams go in the Top 5 of my own list.

The '84 Dolphins at #1? Better than the '90 Bills? Sorry, I can't see that. The '84 Dolphins were primarily about Marino passing the ball. The '90 Bills had Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, and a solid defense.

Since I would make my own list a little differently in that I would include teams that won/lost one year and then won/lost the next, I include the '69 Colts (lost SB III to the Jets), the '78 Cowboys (lost SB XIII to the Steelers), and the '97 Packers (lost SB XXXII to the Donkeys).

I'll stop at 5.

#1) '78 Cowboys
    #2) '01 Rams
    #3) '90 Bills
    #4) '69 Colts
    #5) '97 Packers

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The 90 Bills team would be #1 for me.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree, I think it is a toss-up between the '84 Dolphins and '90 Bills (per the parameters of my list). The '84 Dolphins had the 7th ranked defense (and of course, #1 offense) in 1984, so I think they were a little more than just Marino. They were not as balanced as the '90 Bills, though. But I think it would be a close game between the two. The Dolphins got beat by arguably one of the greatest teams of all time (the 15-1 49ers), while the Bills got beat by a very good Giants team, but not considered among the all-time greats.

cc, as for your list which includes past/prior winners, I agree with the teams you have on there. I would probably put the '68 Colts as #1 or #2, though. The reason I left those teams off is I do not see them as "total losers" (not meant to be derogatory). When I think of the '01 Rams, I still think of the fact that they won in '99 with essentially the same team (although the coaching staff was different). Same with the '78 Cowboys and '97 Packers who won just one year before with almost the same players and coaching staff.

But that's the fun thing about lists - you can create any number of parameters to make it interesting.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think the 88 Bengals should be a little higher. The presence of Eddie and McNair makes the 99 Titans so appealing, although I can't help but think they should be lower. '98 Falcons don't belong, IMHO. I believe the Bills are hands-down the best team that never won the Lombardi.

How about a "Worst team to WIN the Super Bowl" thread? :thumbs:

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Looking down the list, there really aren't any teams I would call "unworthy" to win the Super Bowl. About the only ones I could think of that I wouldn't classify as even a very good team (just 'good'):

'80 Raiders
    '00 Ravens
    '01 Patroits
    '02 Bucs

And I even hesitate to put those last three teams on there. The Ravens and Bucs had great defenses, but if you look at their surrounding years, there isn't much to brag about, so it makes you think they were one-year wonders. And the Patriots went on to win two more times with 14-2 records each, buit that '01 team was very, very lucky to have even played in the Super Bowl, and they were lucky to win it, too. But in the end, I don't think such a list exists. However, if the Bears would have won this year, they could have been the sole member on such a list - they would have been by far the worst Super Bowl winner of all-time. (Sorry Bears fans, but I think it's true, and I even liked your team this year.) Next to the '79 Rams, the '06 Bears may have been the worst team to play in a Super Bowl.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I like that list of worst SB winners Andy, and I'll add the '83 Raiders to it. That team was so-so on both sides of the ball, but the Redskins, who were brilliant on offense, simply choked. Speaking of those Redskins, I agree with Tomvols about dumping the '98 Falcons and replacing them with the '83 Redskins, though I don't think the Skins come in at slot #10. That team was better than the team that won the SB over Miami the year before.

Speaking of those Falcons, the only reason they made it to the SB was because Denny Green coached the NFC Championship with both hands around his throat. Once the Vikes got their 10 point lead, they played not to lose. Of course, considering that the Vikings would have lost their 5th Super Bowl anyway, maybe it was a good thing that Gary Anderson missed the only field goal he missed the entire season.

Oh, and we really should include the '69 Jets in the list of worst SB winners. They ran into a Colts team they had no business hanging with, but Earl Morrall choked.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, the '83 Raiders are pretty bland, too, but they were better than the '80 team. At least '83 had Marcus Allen in his prime.

The '83 Redskins were great: 14-2 and their two losses were by 1 point each! Of course, I didn't include them on my list, since they won in '82. I would put them in the top 5 if I opened the list up to past/future winners.

I'm not sure about the '68 Jets - I think the AFL was coming into its own and was better than people realized at that time (and this was verified when the Chiefs won the next year). I certainly would put the Jets in the bottom tier of Super Bowl winners, but I would hate to put them on a list titled "worst", because they were certainly a good team, as were any of the lesser teams that have won the Super Bowl.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Best Super Bowl losers

I have to disagree with ccrobinson with the '83 Redskins being better than the '83Raiders. The Raiders earlier that year went to RFK an lost 37-35 after leading by 15 points with less than six minutes left in the game and blew the lead. If they win that game, both teams wind-up 13-3. They lost both games they played vs. Seattle that year and I don't remember who was the other team they lost to.:BangHead: The Redskins had Art Monk and Charlie Brown as WRs, Theisman at QB, John Riggins at FB, and the Hogs along the OL. They were a formidable team and the Raiders just took it to them, plain and simple. Here a list of my top losers.

1) '83 Redskins 14-2 during regular season
    2) '68 Colts 13-1 and won the NFL championship 24-0 I think vs Browns
    3) '97 Packers
    4) '99 Titans 13-3 beat Jaguars 3 times that year and they went 14-2! last in championship game at Jacksonville.
    5) '90 Bills Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Cornelius Bennett
    6) '78 Cowboys virtually same team that beat Broncos previous year
    7) '95 Steelers If Neil O'Donnel hadn't played "catch" with Larry Brown!!!

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The '95 Steelers weren't that good. 11-5 in an inferior AFC (at that time). In fact, they would be in my botton tier of all teams to play in a Super Bowl.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That's a good point and I'd forgotten that the regular season game was a close one. I should've remembered that since the defining play of the game was Jack Squirek intercepting Theismann at the end of the first half to build a 21-3 lead. As I recall, the Skins were going to run a screen that they had run for a big gain in the regular season game, but Squirek sniffed it out in the SB.

I agree with Andy about the '95 Steelers. In the AFC Championship Game, they let an undermanned Colts team hang around and the Colts nearly won on a Hail Mary. Here's a weird thing about the Cowher Steelers. Everytime they were the #1 seed in the AFC going into the playoffs, they lost the AFC Championship Game ('94, '98, '01 and '04) at home. The 2 times they went to the Super Bowl was when they weren't the #1 seed.