1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Top 12 World Series Losers of the Last 40 Years

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Feb 6, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I did not count teams like the '88 A's who later won (in '89) with essentially the same team. This would also exclude, for instance, the '04 Cardinals (who were great), since they won in '06 with essentially the same team.

12) '75 Red Sox and '67 Red Sox (Tie)
    11) '80 Royals
    10) '93 Phillies
    9) '02 Giants
    8) '86 Red Sox
    7) '82 Brewers
    6) '79 Orioles
    5) '70 Reds
    4) '03 Yankees
    3) '74 Dodgers
    2) '85 Cardinals
    1) '95 Indians

I think it is a toss-up between the '95 Indians and the '85 Cardinals for #1.

Do you know what the common factor was for most of these teams? They all had better hitting than they did pitching (although some were pretty good in both categories). The '79 Orioles is the only exception to this, which had much better pitching than hitting. That probably says something about the importance of pitching in the post-season.

#1 Andy T., Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2007
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think the '85 Cards' team is the hands-down #1. '72 Reds belong on this list. Nucleus of the BRM going in seven?

Your #1 would be somewhere in my top 5. Again, maybe I'll post my own when I get some time....Maybe April? :laugh:

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I didn't include the '72 Reds since they won in '75 and '76 with essentially the same team. Why did I include the '70 Reds? Well, because that team was somewhat different - their pitching staff was almost completely different, and they didn't have Morgan (and '72-'76 didn't have Lee May). So there was enough turnover from the '70 team compared to the '75 team when they finally won.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Best World Series losers

1) '72 Reds Bench, Rose, May, Perez
    2) '88 A's including them because there is no way justifying them losing to Dodgers
    3) '69 Orioles Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer
    4) '96 Braves Lose game three at home after blowing 6 run lead(would've been up 3-0 with two more games in Atlanta
    5) '95 Indians Albert Belle, Carlos Baeraga, Sandy Alomar
    6) '82 Brewers Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Rollie Fingers, Cecil Cooper
    7) '01 Yankees Clemens, Pettite, Mussina, Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think the 96 Braves have to be up there. Won more than a 100 games, if I remember correctly, and won the first two in NY at Yankee stadium. Then lost four straight.